Model Cars Magazine Forum

Im Bored of Blackwalls

Ooooohhhhh yeah.... Now, can someone tell me why black tires make white smoke?!? :P

Magic lol

That isn't a new idea I had yellow tires on my bicycle back in the early eighties. B)

i had blue ones on my last BMX im a lot happier now that theyre out for motorcycles

Don't they have to colour the rubber for the tires to be black?

Hopefully a fad that goes the way of fluorescent chassis lights...

yes, colored tires isnt really a fad its a option and im seriously considering it on this build. i would love a set of orange tires on my all black truck itll look like its rocking a pair of sneakers

Don't they have to colour the rubber for the tires to be black?

Hopefully a fad that goes the way of fluorescent chassis lights...

They add carbon black to the rubber mix at some point, as raw rubber from trees is whitish in color.

I skimmed over this article (the one mentioning colored tires were going to be available stateside soon), and IIRRC,the tires were not durable enough (compund too soft?) to make them viable as a street tire in the price and lifespan categories most U.S. buyers have come to expect. I think they're a great idea if they perform just as well as the traditional black tires. I don't see how colored tires are any different than customizing your vehicle with a different colored set of wheels or similar. Variety is a good thing, provided it's done with taste.

I remember that back in the Seventies, there were winter tyres with a blue coloured tread. My father had those on his Renault 16. I think they were Vredesteins.

As for being bored with blackwalls - I am in the total opposite phase. After painting whitewalls on my model tyres for the past 35 years, I'm so sick and tired (tyred?) of them, that I do mostly blackwalls nowadays. Looking at old pictures and postcards and watching old movies proves me right. Contrary to what the restorers want us to believe, before the Sixties, hardly any cars had whitewall tyres. If you look at a postcard from the Fifties or earlier, maybe one out of ten cars has whitewalls.

hb629007wt-FID5.jpg

hb7w100892-FID5.jpg

PHOTO%2B-%2BCHICAGO%2B-%2BDE%2BKOVAN%2BSTREET%2B-%2BMRS%2BO%2527LEARY%2BOF%2BFIRE%2BFAME%2BLIVED%2BHERE%2B-%2BPARKED%2BCARS%2B-%2BPEOPLE%2BWATCHING%2B-%2B1950s.jpg

out+demons+of+stupidity.png

Just wait till the "WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Brigade gets wind of this and starts to suing tire manufacturers and retailers to "prevent gang bangers from getting these and marking their territory by doing dangerous multicolored burnouts"................................again <_<

Edited by Joe Handley