Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy upadated

Hippie

well i went and started another one. this is a x-mas present for my grandpa, the story goes that this was the first car him and my grandma bought and hes pretty emotional about the car.

I started about a week ago and hopefully can finish it by the 25ft

DSCN2094.jpg

he found this picture in our local new paper and was talking about his car for the next 30 min. that coupled with a coupon, convinced me he needed the model

DSCN2098.jpg

Edited by Hippie

Thanks their car was the color of the newspaper shown

I"m not sure what the color is called i just ended up mixing some model master pant together till it worked out,

here is a few more pics

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2092.jpg

this is the color I've mixed.

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2097.jpg

about old pics, I'm sure they exist my grandpa was a photographer by trade, but i don't have any, I'm building this In total secrecy just based off a conversation that inspired this build, all i know is it had the 283 was green with a white roof, had a green interior and that he had haven smaller mufflers installed.

Edited by Hippie

Great job so far Erik!

Was your Grandpa's Bel Air a 2-door sedan like your building? If he had the hardtop like in the newspaper, please build the exact replica for him, the way he loved that car, this makes a BIG difference!

The Revell snap kit of the hardtop has a super-nice body and I'll bet it fits right on the detailed chassis of the sedan kit you're building...

Edited by jeffs396

I agree with Jeff regarding the body style. If your grandfather's car was a 2-door hardtop, Jeff's idea of using the snap kit's body might be your best solution. Other options for 2-door hardtops: AMT's original '57 Chevy, which they've released numerous times. Some say it has the best body dimensions of all 1/25 '57 Chevys. It's not a complicated build but it looks sharp with correct detailing (BMF, gold etc). AMT also has a more current version with lots of detail.

I like the Chevrolet script on the valve covers. I'd kill to be able to do that in black.

Just out of curiosity, did the instructions say to wait until the engine is installed before attaching the starter? For some reason that seems different from everything I've ever built.

Edited by Monty

Thanks everyone,

Keef, that is a starter but its not there as a starter, in our conversation about the car he complained about a little motor under the driver seat that always needed work, i haven't a clue what it is, but i tried to replicate it any way.

About the body to my best knowledge it was exactly like the newspaper. i bought the snap kit and was planing on replacing the body, but I realized that I would have to scratchbuild a new engine compartment, firewall ext. and to be honest I just don't want to, and i figure id never be done my X-mas

So what is the difference between the two types, could I just cut out the B pillar?

Thanks everyone,

Keef, that is a starter but its not there as a starter, in our conversation about the car he complained about a little motor under the driver seat that always needed work, i haven't a clue what it is, but i tried to replicate it any way.

About the body to my best knowledge it was exactly like the newspaper. i bought the snap kit and was planing on replacing the body, but I realized that I would have to scratchbuild a new engine compartment, firewall ext. and to be honest I just don't want to, and i figure id never be done my X-mas

So what is the difference between the two types, could I just cut out the B pillar?

Looking very badass. But I would recommend getting rid of the starter motor. The motor in question could only be a motor to propell the power seat and it would have been under the seat, not under the car itself. But still gonna be a awesome model,car.

What a great Christmas gift. For what my two cents is worth. Look for the last issue of the AMT '57 Bel Air. The original AMT could be built as a 210 or a Bel Air. The side trim on that model is to heigh on the side of the body. The later AMT was completly deferant model. Its an outstanding kit if you can find one. If your grandfather's '57 was a 210, you would have to remove the ribbed moldings from the rear quarter panels and shorten the trim on top of the fins. The 210s moldings were somewhat longer than the 150s.on top of the fins. The seat patterns are also differant. With the time left this will be like "OVERHAULING" only in scale.

Thanks for all the info guys but to be honest I don't have a clue what most of it means, sorry i was born in the 90's and to be honest all I know much about is racing.

Also I'm sorry but I need to Finnish this quickly so I have just cut the B pillar out.

I'm gonna try to mix the paint today and get it panted by tomorrow

Thank Rob

I panted the body yesterday and got a clear on it today, I know that it needs sanding/ polishing ect. but i just don't have the time

DSCN2196.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

and a little more work on the engine, if any one has any reference pics of a 100% stock engine I would love pics, most of the stuff on the internet is restomods

DSCN2198.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

By the way... I am not sure what the motor under the driver floor board would have been but in some earlier Cadillacs (later 40's and early 50's) there was a small heater fan assembly and motor that circulated air.... perhaps this is what that is? It got moved into the car under the seat in later years. I am not an expert on the 57's but if I had to guess........

well a update, but kinda late. in the hustle and bustle of the holiday i simply forgot to post. the good news is i finished it, but not necessarily how i planned on doing so.

On the 24th i found i was out of bare metal foil, unfortunately the local hobby shop is closed so the project takes a new direction.

well here's a quick peak and ill post more in the completed area

DSCN2244.jpg

thank you for all of your support