Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1956 Chevy Del Ray - Reissue

Erik Smith

I guess it's a sign of how good we as modellers have it these days, that people still find a way to complain about a kit missing stock wheels and tires because that's how they want to build it. I bet a dozen members have a set of stock '56 tires and hubcaps in their parts boxes and would gladly trade them for the aftermarket wheels and tires.

As Mark hinted at, perhaps Revell has done some research and marketing and found most people don't want to build this kit stock, and that's why they omitted the stock wheels and tires.

Casey, Revell never asked me or Mr. Obsessive or a few other folks here I know ............... Ed Shaver

My point is it's easy to find and buy the original issue of this kit if you must have the stock 'caps and tires. Two recently sold on eBay for $19.99 and $16.49 with shipping included on both, so that's cheaper than buying the new re-issue, which you still have to go get or pay additional shipping on the retail price.

For those of us without a local source for model kits and are ordering online anyways whether a kit is a recent or current release usually isn't much of an issue- often an earlier release can even be had for less than the latest. Have a few Revell 56 Del Rays and Nomads but have never really found them "hard to get" in any form.

With the push towards the holiday displays and such I can see some reasoning for the "custom only"- while it may actually cost money to block off stock parts on a tree omitting tires that research had shown the targeted customers didn't want anyways.

With this subject it seems that most modelers interested in a replica stock build have already had this kit since its original release anyways

No problem having different parts in different releases- just do some research here if you're looking for specific parts in a kit :)

Getting two or more kits for a build has always been a plus for me anyways

Which is weird - why would they omit such a simple thing? The 2 in 1 kits sell better too - Revell's words! Still is a good kit, but they will lose sales on a car like this.

The previous issue didn't have the stock tires...this is just a straight reissue of that version.

I have one of the last re-issues and it was a little bit hard for me to get. Now, with this re-issue, I can easily accomplish my goal (thanks to still having the 56 Nomad as well).

Really? No stock tires equals no sale? Good on you; that leaves more for those who will really build them instead of belly-ache about the tires. If it hurts you so bad, I have 4 sets of the stock tires I will gladly GIVE you. Your lives must be drab indeed if you have nothing better to do than whine about no stock tires in a NON-STOCK KIT.

Who here doesn't have a stash of Revell/Monogram wide whites? (Crickets chirping.) Thought so. I see the lack of stock tires as a benefit- if I want to build it stock (or more likely as a period custom) I can grab a set from my spares box and thin out my junk pile a tad, rather than add to it with another set of Revell wide whites.

Stupid question- is this the kit that has the drive-in dinner tray, or am I thinking of the '55 Bel Air?

If there were no other versions of the kit available it wouldn't be an issue-anyone who wanted to build the car would easily overcome the "obstacle" ( I know I'm not the only one who got the Revell '77 Monte when it first came out and put "normal" wheels and tires on it having no interest in a low rider)

Those with unbuilt "stock version" kits in their stash and wanting to build replica stock probably weren't likely to be buying more just because of a re-release (without significant added or changed parts) anyways

I'd venture most claiming the lack of stock tires being a deal breaker had no intentions of actually buying a new kit anyways

I have one of the last re-issues and it was a little bit hard for me to get. Now, with this re-issue, I can easily accomplish my goal (thanks to still having the 56 Nomad as well).

Really? No stock tires equals no sale? Good on you; that leaves more for those who will really build them instead of belly-ache about the tires. If it hurts you so bad, I have 4 sets of the stock tires I will gladly GIVE you. Your lives must be drab indeed if you have nothing better to do than whine about no stock tires in a NON-STOCK KIT.

Amen. B)

Who here doesn't have a stash of Revell/Monogram wide whites? (Crickets chirping.)

Actually Chuck, I dont have a stash of them. The kits I have that have them will be built with them. However, if any of you that dont build stock want to send the ones you have my way, I will gladly take them off your hands! :D

As Mark hinted at, perhaps Revell has done some research and marketing and found most people don't want to build this kit stock, and that's why they omitted the stock wheels and tires.

See my upcoming review in the magazine of the recently repopped '56 Nomad. The stock parts are all there, but Revell doesn't indicate them on the instruction sheet as to what they are visually and where they should go, also visually. They are mentioned along with their part numbers but that's it. Now, novice and new-to-the-hobby builders may just be put off by this as it is downright confusing. Does it indicate that R-M has given up on replica stock builders? Hardly. My guess is more like, it is the "California Wheels" series and that's the vision R-M wants to portray here.

As for the Del Ray, what might be a nice touch is for R-M to make sets of the stock tires available for purchase by any of us interested in pursuing full-stock versions of the kit. Or perhaps one of our enterprising aftermarket vendors could buy up a couple gross of these from R-M and sell the sets him/herself.

The important thing is, where there is a will, there is a way, as the old saying goes.

With places like Ma's Resin or The Modelhaus, I think the need for stock tires can be met if needed and one does not have any in their spares box.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but I can see both sides of the argument and I am sure Revell has their reasons for not including them.

I have to agree (SORT OF) with the stock tire comments but.... I got some tires from Don Holthaus recently.... 270's I think... and they are VASTLY superior to ANYTHING the in the kits..... yeah I know... you pay for the kit and no stock tires.... I get it ........but the after market clearly has a much better product....I would rather step up for the extra tires than have a sub-standard....or poor try at stock tires in the kit.... just my two cents...

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

well i have the stock delray and if someone wants or needs the stock wheels and tires

i would be willing to trade for the lowered suspension parts heck i even have some black widow pieces i would

trade for the cali lowered pieces. I also feel that there should be better selection of wheels

like in the 2in 1 Nova with the convo-pros.

No stock wheels, No sale? Seems a little harsh. We are all model builders, if you don't have a box full of "stock" tires or extra parts, you ain't buildin' enough!

Getto-mobile? A little harsh too. At least they didn't bring it out DUB! Look at the current car shows and see how many of the 50's 60's and 70's are coming out with the bigger wheel and slammed stances. Shame on Revell for not putting the stock tire in the kit, but really how many sets do we all have sitting around? If not, check out the guy at the next swap meet with that big tupperware box full of tires for sale, he might just have what you need CHEAP!

Let's all be glad they brought the kit back out instead of putting it away for years. Keep the hobby fun, lets build!

Well Said