Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stashing away vintage kits

I have around 1000 kits in my stash. There are maybe a handfull of them that I put aside because they are old or hard to find kits. Now, i am just going to build them if I feel the urge to do so. There are so many repops of kits that haven't been around in years it is likely only a matter of time before the hard to find kits are available once again.

I have a Monogram 1/8th scale Trans Am sitting in the stash. I bought it to build, then was told not to build it becuase it is worth a lot of money. The heck with it, I am going to build it.

I've only got 1 that I will probably never build. 1/4 scale working chassis by Renwal. It's designed to accept their working V8 engine of the same vintage. I did build the engine as a kid, made a mess of all the clear block parts but it did turn under battery power.

SAM_1275.jpg

I picked it up at a yard sale maybe 20+ years ago and have carted it through my moves. The box is a little worn but everything inside is there in the original bags. There's an awful lot of nuts & bolts! I have seen it on a couple of sites for over $1,000 although I don't know who would pay that much. I will probably never build it because where would I put it?!

very nice one to stash,I had an incomplete one as a kid bought from a yard sale and its on my someday hit list but current prices say no

Ive got kits, I bought new with every intention of building, that are now vintage. does that count?

Darin does that mean that all of the kits that I have bought, over the past years/decades, might just eventually become vintage? I guess I better not say I can hardly wait. Probably not going to happen.

Ok Fellas... I'll chime in here. I don't consider myself a 'collector' of kits although I have around 60 in the stash that I fully intend to build 'one day' (yeah...right). I mean kits were meant for building, RIGHT?. Which brings me to my latest acquisition, (which co-incidently isn't a car)... A 1957 AMC train kit...recents013.jpgI thought 'Yeah that'd look nice built up siting on a siding'... BUT , when I opened it my jaw dropped.... It's a 50 year old time capsule! recents015.jpgI mean everything is still bagged, all it's metal parts, original receipt for $4.95 from 'The John ******** Company, Cincinnati' (any ideas guys, I can't read it). recents023.jpgThe original purchaser has also bought 3x9" track sections from 'The Bolles Sporting Goods Company'. They're still there in the original paper bag, along with the still bagged PACTRA paints & unopened glue, as well as the original paint brush. recents019.jpgIt even included 3 original flyers from the era about the kits themselves. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to hijack the thread, but after all , it's about collecting vintage kits. I bought this kit with full intentions of building it, but after looking inside, I'm not so sure now. How rare is this time capsule guys?

I have every intention to build each kit I buy. I have to admit I've bought a kit or two that I'm afraid to build but it's because I paid more then I'm usually comfortable paying. It doesn't mean I'm not going to build it just that I'm going to wait till I feel more comrotable with my skills.

I have a lot of vintage kits in my stash that I picked off of ebay on the cheap and I intend to build all of them except for one.

001-2.jpg

It was sealed when I bought it,but I couldn't resist opening it. This old kit has so many cool parts in it that I just can't bring myself to build it. Things like brochures,putty,sandpaper and custom parts that haven't been issued since. There's no reason to build it when there are so many AMT '57 Chevies out there that have almost the same parts. Plus,from what I've been told,it isn't worth a whole lot of money. So,as long as I own it,it's going to stay exactly as it is. The rest will get built,time permitting.

Ok Fellas... I'll chime in here. I don't consider myself a 'collector' of kits although I have around 60 in the stash that I fully intend to build 'one day' (yeah...right). I mean kits were meant for building, RIGHT?. Which brings me to my latest acquisition, (which co-incidently isn't a car)... A 1957 AMC train kit...recents013.jpgI thought 'Yeah that'd look nice built up siting on a siding'... BUT , when I opened it my jaw dropped.... It's a 50 year old time capsule! recents015.jpgI mean everything is still bagged, all it's metal parts, original receipt for $4.95 from 'The John ******** Company, Cincinnati' (any ideas guys, I can't read it). recents023.jpgThe original purchaser has also bought 3x9" track sections from 'The Bolles Sporting Goods Company'. They're still there in the original paper bag, along with the still bagged PACTRA paints & unopened glue, as well as the original paint brush. recents019.jpgIt even included 3 original flyers from the era about the kits themselves. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to hijack the thread, but after all , it's about collecting vintage kits. I bought this kit with full intentions of building it, but after looking inside, I'm not so sure now. How rare is this time capsule guys?

Could this be the same kit:

Locomotive-1.JPG

Yes, if the AMC kit was released in 1957, then the Kitmaster kit did indeed come later, in 1959 to be exact. It was the 3rd kit in a series of 34 railway models and I have them all. Kitmaster only made railway kits from 1959 to 1962.

The Kitmaster New York Central Hudson was later allegedly shamlessly copied by Revell, so I'd call it even.

I have a few vintage kits that I keep sealed and have no intention of building (they are ones I have already built in cases though as well for the most part) but I am a collector as well as a builder . For example I spent a few years trying to find a Surfite kit (they are scarce down here for some reason) but then finally managed to get two in the space of a month so one's now being built and one staying sealed . I guess it all depends on whether you are primarily a builder or collector , I have close to a thousand models of mini's in various mediums (plastic , diecast , wood , glass , pottery , stone etc) so tend to get anything I can find , most stay sealed but in the case of kits I try to get two :)

I once thought I was buying kits to build them, but if I live to be 500 I'll never build them all. I keep buying "must have" kits, and when it comes time to choose a project, I scratchbuild something. Not going to get through the kits that way.

I also get multiples of kits I really like, and I'm not sure why.

What am I really going to do with three Open Road Chevy van campers?

I have a lot of vintage kits in my stash that I picked off of ebay on the cheap and I intend to build all of them except for one.

001-2.jpg

It was sealed when I bought it,but I couldn't resist opening it. This old kit has so many cool parts in it that I just can't bring myself to build it. Things like brochures,putty,sandpaper and custom parts that haven't been issued since. There's no reason to build it when there are so many AMT '57 Chevies out there that have almost the same parts. Plus,from what I've been told,it isn't worth a whole lot of money. So,as long as I own it,it's going to stay exactly as it is. The rest will get built,time permitting.

That "Pepper Shaker" is a nice kit and a good friend of mine is looking for one. I'm keeping my eyes open trying to find him one. I know: good luck!

That "Pepper Shaker" is a nice kit and a good friend of mine is looking for one. I'm keeping my eyes open trying to find him one. I know: good luck!

Unless your friend just "has to have" the "Pepper Shaker" kit,the later AMT releases have almost the same parts. I think the only things missing are the chopped glass and those funky looking front and rear end treatments and of course the putty,sandpaper and brochures. One member that would know for sure would be none other than "57 PepperShaker". Drop him a PM and he can fill you in.

A few years ago I was searching all over for a 72 Chevy Blazer kit and finally snagged an unbuilt Boondocker kit for like $45, then a couple of months later I learned that Model King was going to re-issue that same darn kit! So the vintage Boondocker sits and I have 2 of the Model King issues, still unbuilt, too. :unsure:

The only vintage kit that really has my attention is the MPC 1932/33 Chevy Panel Truck. I purchased a glue-bomb of the "Gangbusters" version of the kit to build as a hot rod, but I would pay good money to build that puppy box stock.

Edited by Nate

OriginalHUG-vi.jpg

I'm positive that is the very first model kit I ever built.

I still have some pieces of that one. it met a gory fate.

Bought a couple of the re-issue's.

Thanks for posting that picture. it takes me way, way back.

I need to snap a picture of some of my old/ vintage kits I have stashed away.

maybe someone will see one in my stash that makes me feel the way I do when I see that

old Hemi Under Glass.

Isn't this the main reason and difference with which diecasts were created? To collect? Some of them will bloww away even the best built plastic model and are very limited and appretiate over the years. This is the reason why I am into both. I collect diecast and build kits.

I've only got 1 that I will probably never build. 1/4 scale working chassis by Renwal. It's designed to accept their working V8 engine of the same vintage. I did build the engine as a kid, made a mess of all the clear block parts but it did turn under battery power.

SAM_1275.jpg

I picked it up at a yard sale maybe 20+ years ago and have carted it through my moves. The box is a little worn but everything inside is there in the original bags. There's an awful lot of nuts & bolts! I have seen it on a couple of sites for over $1,000 although I don't know who would pay that much. I will probably never build it because where would I put it?!

You beat me to it!!!!!! I have the Renwal Visible Chassis as well and will probably never build simply for the fact that it's so big when built! I inventoried every single piece in the kit and found a couple that were broken. There's a guy that sells Renwal Visible kits on Ebay and he has several that he parts out. I was able to make mine complete using a couple parts I bought from him. I did buy the Testors 1/4 Visible Hemi with thoughts of of installing it into the chassis. I had a mint original Renwal V8 (before I ever had the chassis) but I sold it thinking I'd never build it. I wish I had it now to put with the chassis. I can always get another though as they appear much more often than the chassis does.

Other than that, I always try to buy kits two at a time as I really enjoy having a mint unbuilt kit just as much as being able to build it!