Model Cars Magazine Forum

testors one coat lacquers

How long do I need to let my wet coat of testors lacquer cure before I use their one coat wet look clear? This is my first attempt at using a clear coat, and I'm not sure if it needs to cure days, hours or just when to apply the clear.

How long do I need to let my wet coat of testors lacquer cure before I use their one coat wet look clear? This is my first attempt at using a clear coat, and I'm not sure if it needs to cure days, hours or just when to apply the clear.

Keep in mind that when you spray the clear it may look somewhat milky looking, don't panic, it will dry clear. I also wait at least 24 hrs after spraying my color coat. I personally love the stuff.

Edited by lester p

Thanks guys for the replies, since the general consensus seems to be at least 24 hours after work tomorrow I will try the clear coat. Is it like the color coat- a few mist coats and then a heavy coat, or is it truly a "one coat" clear?

i havent waited, mostly because i'm hoping that i get a good chemical bond between the primer, color and clear. i could be wrong in that practice however.

More time between coats shouldn't be a problem. The solvents in lacquer will bond it to the coat underneath no matter how dry it is. unlike enamels, lacquer doesn't "skin over". It uniformly dries.

If the gloss comes out somewhat dull, you can wait a day or two and spray a few more fresh coats of clear on it and that should restore the shine.

The other thing to keep in mind is humidity. This paint seems VERY sensitive to humidity. All paints are to a degree, but the One Coat line seems particularly sensitive to it..

I shoot mainly Tamiya..They recommend a 15 min window between color coats, and the same for TS13 clear, or WAIT 72 hours to prevent cracks.

I have always shot all lacquers with this window, and never had any issues....Thanks to Zoom Zoom and Pete Johnson