Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 comp coupe

jmpsebring

I know none of this is comp coupe stuff, but I'm having fun trying to see what works and what I want to do next. I figure it's my thread so if I mix things up a little it won't be someone elses thread I'm posting to.

I think this Revellution body is 90% promod already. I 'm giving it a little more rake and moving the front wheels back to 112"

post-9240-0-94542100-1329149401_thumb.jp

post-9240-0-39706800-1329149408_thumb.jp

It's difficult to decide on a subject. I like the idea of a Duster and the plastic body is well molded. I ordered the 41 Willy's and will make that the body or just make it curbside. I don't see myself building a bunch of these with full detail. It's all about space under the Willy's hood and if it will look "bad enough" without a giant PSI and hat sticking out of it. Perhaps I should scratch the gear-drive front superchargers. Plus with some of the bodies, there's very little space between the engine and A-pillars/firewall. I really like the tapered sheet metal depth on some these Pro mods chassis. Your thread has been inspiring for sure!.

CIMG6510.jpgCIMG6513.jpgCIMG6512.jpg

Sorry about the first attempt to post anything from photobucket anywhere.

I used a disposible aluminum baking pan to cut panels for the sides and floor of the body. It's a great hi-quality aluminum with a nice grain. Side panels will run from the firewall.. forward past the front of the engine. That's where most of the decals will go. Also have the first primer/ color coat on the plastic part of the frame so it can throughly dry. Next is the new roll bar and little left over things, then another coat of paint over the whole frame. The brass section needs the fuel tank mounting started. The engine has been started, but I'm waiting on parts.

Edited by jmpsebring

I know none of this is comp coupe stuff, but I'm having fun trying to see what works and what I want to do next. I figure it's my thread so if I mix things up a little it won't be someone elses thread I'm posting to.

I think this Revellution body is 90% promod already. I 'm giving it a little more rake and moving the front wheels back to 112"

Jack... Not sure if you are using specific requirements, but most pro mods run the maximum required length as much as possible due to the power they make. Because of this everyone run the 115" center to center. Some will run 112 but not many.

I like that duster funny car it almost fits the bill. Just need to adjust the length, nose requirements and you should be good to go.

Jack... Not sure if you are using specific requirements, but most pro mods run the maximum required length as much as possible due to the power they make. Because of this everyone run the 115" center to center. Some will run 112 but not many.

I like that duster funny car it almost fits the bill. Just need to adjust the length, nose requirements and you should be good to go.

Thank you !! I kept the front wheel well on the small side so I could adjust them. That also gives me a touch more length between the back of the motor and A-pillar. So if I determine the front wheel center, I can line up the motor with the front of the block/timing gear cover?

Thanks! The frame will look alot tidier I need to FOCUS :D

Would this be a AA/CP? I need someone who knows old school designations.

CIMG6521.jpgCIMG6519.jpg

Jack, I'm not really sure myself. The person you want to ask is John "Old Coyote" he has a thread in "Drag Racing Models" titled Panic AA/FA. I think he ran an altered back in the day and is well versed in classifications.

Charlie

Pro Tech

So if I determine the front wheel center, I can line up the motor with the front of the block/timing gear cover?

That should roughly put you where you need to be, by doing that. Actually some Pro Mod's do cut into the firewall/windshield for the 16-71 or 18-71 Roots Blower to set back a bit. I would need to check out your reference photo. The other thing is possibly your doors on the FC body are shorter than what they actually would be on a Pro Mod. You can scale these out and check to make sure.

I wasn't liking the color. Too bright of a red. It was Zero's Ferrari red. I added a couple drops of purple to darken and shift the color towards a brick red. I think it's an older looking red. Also used a p/e bender to put in a micro edge on the side panels. It's 10x stiffer now.

CIMG6527.jpgCIMG6525.jpgCIMG6531.jpg

Edited by jmpsebring

That is a very cool image. It'sototally understandable it would get you back to building drag cars. How could you resist? Love the wheel well work on the body.

Some notes on sources for future 1/25 work. Regarding a Bantam body there's are vendors on e-bay I have bought from repeatedly who do fine work and provide an excellent product, thin, clean, etc. Light years ahead of JF and inexpensive. I used one of these Bantam bodies last summer and was quite pleased. Worth keeping an eye out for. My current favorite is gregory23scs.gif. It's all very strange since they seem to offer the same merchandise under different names... Unfortunatekly gregory23scs.gif has nothing on offer at present bit will reappear shortly with a full li neup once again. Bizarre... Here are some pics of mine before it got painted and finished out for my build:

th_DSCF4599-web.jpgth_DSCF4592-web.jpgth_DSCF4594-web.jpg

(Click on pictures for larger image)

Regarding M&H Dragmaster tires the best sources for these are Modelhaus and Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. Unfortunately delivery time form either of these companies is 6-8 weeks. To make matters worse, Replicas & Miniatures, hands down the finest resin caster on the planet, doesn't even have a web site! And Modelhaus has an excellent site for ordering but it has no images! Replicas & Miniatures can be reached at replmincomd@aol.com . The prorpietor is Norm Veber and he offers a 30+ page catalog that's well worth the $4.00. He offers a large selection of 1/16 scale parts as well. Modelhaus is at http://www.modelhaus.com/ . Look under Parts, Tires, for various offerings. The description for the M&H Racemasters is as follows:

T-291 (1959-1962) two Racemaster Drag Slick tires, 8.00-14 size, flexible black resin; Tires; Price : $4.50

But just as nice is the new Parts Pack from AMT under the new owners, Round2, who are creating new tools for all the old AMT tires. There first release is a set of 4 [airs of Racemasters in various sidewall configurations. Generally available at your LHS and online for around $10.00. Here's a pic:

0mh1.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress and learning more cool techniques...

Another excellent source for resin 1960's/ealry 1970's drag slicks is Steve Perry's company, Calnagacastings.com

Yes, this is the same Steve Perry who did the FreightTranin on the cover of this month's ModelCars magazine.

In his typical fashion, he's modified (accurized) all his resin drag slick masters so they are very accurate. And he keeps a running inventory so he can ship quickly.

TIM .

I'm really liking all the Comp coupe and roadster model projects shown in this post - keep it up, guys! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Jack, by any chance was it Dave Mikrut's Comp Coupe that you saw that was your inspiration for this build?

Honestly I don't know who Dave Mikut is.....

I saw a photo on Facebook of a comp coupe and it is to blame for my sudden shift back into drag racing models. If I was unable to find good quality aftermarket items, I would not have started anything. The FB photo is earlier in this thread.

Thank You! The jet drives for the ski boats are cool...

There were 6 or 7 items that looked like a good value so i ordered them..including the jet drive. :P

Jack,,,if you ever build a ski boat with that Jet Drive, please let me know or send pictures! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

• 3 weeks later...

I need a way to get to the track. The first time I went to a NSRA event, I saw a slammed 39 Ford cab-over ramp truck. Fell in love with them. Started to research and I discovered the White COE truck. I've wanted one ever since. Yesterday It came. This will be a full custom art deco transporter truck of some kind. I only had to raise the fenders 1/8th". I opened up the windscreen and that transformed it.

CIMG6756.jpgCIMG6761.jpgCIMG6762.jpgCIMG6764.jpg

Back to my Sonny's style engine. I glued the heads,flanges,rivets lightly together to set up all the spacing. Used a section of Square tubing to bridge the gap. Also drill some holes for future NOS. Used some rectangular stock spaced by a piece of aluminum stock to ensure they would not stick together'there'. Bridged that gap with a temp piece of tubing to set my width. Used my calipers to ensure the 'top' was level then tacked it in place. Next I cut everything to length then added the front/rear panels, then trimmed everything down. Finally added a top plate making it narrower to create a groove. Soldered my spiral bead wire around to simulate welds.

Edited by jmpsebring

Romell, it's a product from Beadalon I found in the craft store. It's a copper wire perfectly wrapped with a smaller wire in a spiral configuration. Then it's silver plated. Solders easily. Not cheap @ $11.00 or so. It looks better in person. I'm showing the worse end. If you lightly sand it afterwords, it's even more convincing. It will be used around the intake runners as well. Also found some different gauge wires in different candy colors. Very tough semi-gloss finish. Finally look for the micro bits of tubing in three different sizes. It's so nice to have perfect short lengths of tubing, perfectly square and cheap. Great for standoffs or whatever....