Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Trim

Hey Mark, by chance have you used Microscale "Micro Metal Foil Adhesive"? I have used that with some really thin foil not the Bare Metal foil stuff, similar to what others are saying about using aluminum foil.

I found this to work in a semi OK fashion and still give you a decent result. However... this is my fancy "Butt" I did find it to not last long, as the adhesion wasn't as good as it could have been. I found it to let go after awhile.

Why yes, I have! My dad worked at MicroScale at the time is was developed, and I got to play with it before it was marketed. I prefer BMF, but still keep a bottle on hand, it has it places, and yes I have had it lose its adhesion and start to peel up on the edges on occasion.

I have yet to find any sprayable adhesive that works as well as the Micro Metal Foil Adhesive.

It is a great product. Been using it since before it was sold publicly. The trick is to apply it uniformly and with no dirt, and let it fully dry. Any imperfection will show through. And clean your brush before it dries! Do not try to airbrush it on. (Well, you can, just don't be surprised with the mess...)

Why yes, I have! My dad worked at MicroScale at the time is was developed, and I got to play with it before it was marketed. I prefer BMF, but still keep a bottle on hand, it has it places, and yes I have had it lose its adhesion and start to peel up on the edges on occasion.

AH... maybe it would help if I spent more time making sure I understand what was being posted. LOL... I though you were referring to the 3M stuff when you posted that about uniformity of putting it down...sorry about that.

That is very cool that you have gotten to use stuff before it has hit the market.

There are many good ideas here, but I think the question was asking about paint. If this is still of intrest you might look for PRISMCOLOR. I have found this at Hobby Lobby in their art section and Office Depot.. It has a roller applicator like a writing pen. I have found med. and fine both. You will want to read the instructions and practice on some spare parts first, but it will look almost as good as foil. I have only used it for touchups and fine chrome trim, but it worked well for me. Hope this is of some help.

Aluminum heat vent tape. It's heavier then bmf but if you find a cheap variety from China then it is thinner then regular heat vent tape. Here in western Canada I've found a variety at Princess Auto, as I recall it was called power fist. Glue on the back is very sticky and you'll go through a couple of new #11 blades cutting it but it cuts very clean. Won't work for every application but works great on fairly flat surfaces.

rob

SB10211.jpg

Any one used this stuff?

Yes. But not the spray. I use the liquid with foil and brush on a thin coat. It stays sticky for quite some time and I have had no problems with it lifting. Another good point is it's an easy cleanup to get the excess off the model.

Michael, I have used Prisamcolor metallic silver for chrome . Their metallic gold works well for a brass fitting or anything else you need in that color range. Another product I found that works well is DecoColor paint marker. I got their extra fine Liquid Gold and White. These work well for triming tires also. In the old days before Chrome Foil was invented, we used Testors Chrome in the small 1/4 oz. size to paint trim. Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver also can be used if you can find it. Hope this helps.

It's funny this has come up now. I was in the dollar store a couple of days ago and found they had rolls of aluminum tape for a buck. To my surprise it is about the same thickness as BMF. I did a quick test on a piece of plastic and it burneshed down nicely. There is way more in the roll than one gets in a single sheet of BMF and of course a buck is a great deal.

Keep your eyes open the next time you are in a dollar store.