Model Cars Magazine Forum

I can get Plastikote gray, white, and red oxide sandable primers at Car Quest. They also carry a sandable filler primer and T-45 clear.

Tractor Supply Company carries only the grey sandable primer but is $2.00 cheaper per can and closer to home.

I had a similar non drying issue with a can of Dupli red oxide filler primer. It sprayed well, layed down nice but only dried to about the half way point. I let it sit for a day and it never got any harder. Rather than strip it I figured I`d experiment. I sprayed a coat of grey filler primer over it to see what would happen and within a couple hours everything had completely hardened. My guess was that the Red Oxide didnt get enought hardener in the mix when it was made. Weird.

Valspar has bought a few companies, but they're traditionally known for interior and exterior paints for homes and businesses. Since your can says 'INTERIOR" on the label, wouldn't it be intended for wood or drywall?

Edited by sjordan2

Thats's the good stuff, that's what the newer cans look like. It's simply the best sanding primer around.

I'll stick with DupliColor...lately my cans of Plastikote have been clogging on me to the point where it's useless.And those are happening with cans that have been restocked in the last few weeks

I primed some parts today using the updated Plastikote and it is great stuff. I found Duplicolor a little too watery. This Plastikote sprays similar to tamiya primer.

If your nozzles are clogging, take it off and soak in lacquer thinner...wipe tip off with Lac thin on a q tip also.

I used to swear by plasti cote, but its getting hard to find. I tried Krylon primer, dries S.L.O.W....tried Rustoleum automotive primer, dries slow also. I useDupli color and have no problems. Better, buy a quart of1/1 automotive primer from PPG and thinner, and shoot it through an airbrush....dries fast, light coats will not craze plastic, and lays down more smoothly, which equates to less sanding. Also, the 2 part automotive primer works even better, only drawback...only mix what you're gonna use, since it hardens by chemical reaction, not an 'air dry' paint.

the only thing i don't like about the 'new' PlastiKote, are those d a m big white spraytips!! i pull them off and use an old style tip[red]...

i've found that the DupliColor primer takes more for the same coverage as the PlastiKote... and the PlastiKote drys a lot 'smoother' than the DupliColor..IMHO...