Model Cars Magazine Forum

Completely scratchbuilt '50 Divco milk truck

My twin brother, Larry, completely scratchbuilt in 1/24 this circa 1950 model 21 Divco milk truck entirely in BRASS and completed it in 1978 after at least a year of spare time effort.

Reference was from measuring a no longer used milk truck that sat behind the dairy in our old home town, and they were also kind enough to supply him with an original parts/maintenance manual for the truck to give him added detail reference.

All doors fold and open, theres a completely detailed chassis with working leaf springs, brake-lines, and 'worm/sector steering etc. The seat folds and pivots, there's complete engine detail, and the Divco nameplates were photo-etched (then a relatively new process) using new equipment at the college where he taught technical illustration.

The model won 'Best In Show' in the only contest in which it was entered (Group 25 modellers club), back in '80 or so in Toronto and, thanks to being kept in a display case, it's stayed in fine condition for the last 30+ years. Paint was done in lacquer, with details added using Humbrol and Testors paints, and the lettering was all done using Letraset.

.IMG_2898-1.jpg

IMG_2895-1.jpg

IMG_2896-1.jpg

IMG_2897-1.jpg

Edited by traditional

Wow! I don't think I'd wanna go to that extent in styrene, much less brass! Weirdest thing of all, the model is four years older than me, and it's aged WAY better. :lol:

I actually do remember these, though- Superior Dairy, in theSaginaw Bay reigion of Michigan,was still using these Divcos for home delivery right up until the early 1990's.