Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 years out, stepping back in

Rrrrrrumps

It's been about 40 years and now I'm just huntin' and peckin' trying to get some direction. I see so much inspiration in this site and yet I just can't seem to get it together. I've been pickin' up kits here and there for about 8 years, now I'm trying to find the time to really get with it. I've started many projects and have finished none. I find it fun of just getting ideas started, working the plastic and putty, and that has kept me going. I'm all over the place. I'm stuck in the mid 60's FXers, rule breaking match racers, 60's gassers era, but have a love of door slammers of today, odd ball hot rods, and street machines.

Here are a couple that I've started. '64 StageIII Dodge (Lindberg) now caught up in the "Run whatcha Brung" grab the money, make a name. It's a car with attitude, borrowed blown Chrysler pulling a load of nitro, alter wheelbase, takin' on big boys for the bucks. '65 Nova, AMT Street Freak running Blown BB, light weight Match Racer. '64 Comet, Model King kit now is a post Nationals A/FXer. It is now a "has been", stripped and now a few pounds lighter, heading into the late fall, early winter running when ever with whom ever to Match Race for the bucks. AMT '34 Ford still running Fuel Altered in '65, and just finding it harder and harder keeping up with the Fiats and Bantams. Miss Deal Chassis, motor and suspension. It's chopped and smoothed.

Edited by Rrrrrrumps

I had about a 30 year break and got back in when my kids were coming of age. I actually finished a few builds and then a 15 year break came. Now, being retired I'm back for 4 years but haven't finished a thing!But I'm enjoying building immensely! It's NOT what you finish but how you enjoy the trip! :)

I know the feeling...years ago my wife and I collected about 300 kits. A bunch of big rigs and cars.We have a shelf full of built ones that are so dusty that you can't even tell the colors. I found this site recently and I'm really inspired. I'll have to start building again

Welcome Back, Jeff an watever your name is!!! You build some nice cars there, WYNI, and you'll be in good company here, i can promise you that. Jeff, if you been gone ALOOOONG time, you freak when you see whats available to us now! This is a GREAT time to be enjoying the hobby! WELCOME!!!! :D

WELCOME BACK! YOU HAVE SOME NICE PROJECTS GOING ON.I GOT BACK INTO IT FULL TIME ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO AND I'LL NEVER EVER LET UP AGAIN,AND ESPECIALLY WITH SUCH A GREAT SITE AND GREAT PEOPLE LIKE HERE-YOU CAN'T LOSE.

Edited by PARTSMARTY

Welcome back man. If possible, try attending a model car show, you will truly be inspired once you see the models on display. It's also a great time to make friends and ask a lot of questions, I am more than positive you will find some individuals that would love to talk to you about modeling. Also, joining a club is another good alternative. ;)

I see you are from Maryland as I am, we have one of the best clubs in the nation here (Maryland Automotive Modelers Association). Don't know how far you are from Greenbelt but if you decide to attend you will not regret it. Below is the link and info on our club.......

http://mamasboyz.org/

Edited by cruz

Welcome back man. If possible, try attending a model car show, you will truly be inspired once you see the models on display. It's also a great time to make friends and ask a lot of questions, I am more than positive you will find some individuals that would love to talk to you about modeling. Also, joining a club is another good alternative. ;)

I see you are from Maryland as I am, we have one of the best clubs in the nation here (Maryland Automotive Modelers Association). Don't know how far you are from Greenbelt but if you decide to attend you will not regret it. Below is the link and info on our club.......

http://mamasboyz.org/

As a matter of fact, just found out where Damascus is, you are less than an hour away from our club, actually closer than myself (I live in Abingdon). We also have our annual model car show in May located in Glen Burnie. YOU GOTTA COME, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! :D Edited by cruz

Welcome back and welcome aboard! Youve been gone for as long as Ive been building , but this place should get you headed in the right direction, there have been soo many changes in the hobby (for the better). There are many knowlageable builders here if theres anything you need help with just ask and im sure you will recieve more than you asked for.

Thanks all for the positive push. I've been monitoring this site for about a year and the projects and the finished product really knock me out. I marvel at the quality of detail that go into some of these projects...really outstanding, some may say ARTISTIC. Thanks again for the welcome and the support, plus the push towards completing. I must say, even if I don't finish one project, just the working on these mini mindbenders is a kick.

Stay tuned ...

I had about a 30 year break and got back in when my kids were coming of age. I actually finished a few builds and then a 15 year break came. Now, being retired I'm back for 4 years but haven't finished a thing!But I'm enjoying building immensely! It's NOT what you finish but how you enjoy the trip! :)

Could not have said it better, enjoy the trip cause thats whats its all about, remember quality over quantity, any body could build a kit out of box in a few days or week, but what if you spent a few months on that same kit, in theory its gonna be finished better than a week build (unless your a master Like Jon Teresi, seems he can pump out museum pieces in a few weeks, LOL, but thats a good thing). I always say quality comes first then quantity. Edited by Darren B