Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phat & Funny

I wanted to build build a 70s era funny car in small scale but honestly I'm pretty much bored with mini Chargers, Dusters, Vegas, Pintos and so on. What I was after was a funny car that looked like a lead sled hot rod.....yeah buddy, Hot Rods Rule!

Anyway, I also wanted to cram as much detail into it as my skill level would allow, that meant plumbing, wiring and all sorts of things that I know are supposed to be there.

Here's a bunch of pics of where I'm at.....

I'm converting a chopped '49 Merc into what I hope turns out to look like a one piece fiberglass shell on a period correct funny car chassis...wotcha' think?

Aphunny001.jpg

Aphunny002.jpg

Aphunny004.jpg

Aphunny005.jpg

Aphunny007.jpg

How about just painting it up as a '60's hot rod with wide whites painted on the drag tires so that you don't catch the fact that it's a funy car at first. And don't smooth it out, leave the body details.

Just my $.02.

Great suggestions Rob and I appreciate your input.

I kinda have a traditional paint job in mind....sort of....gotta have flames even if it's final color is suede...right? Don't grumble Jim, it might wind up shiny!

Maybe even a hand painted mural on the trunk lid?

I'm not going to plaster sponsor decals or wild graphics all over it.

The body will be pretty much smoothed out and the front wheel wells will be moved forward a bit to better match up with the funny car wheelbase. I'm trying to avoid stretching the nose if possible.

As far as the wide whites go...I'm happy with the white rims on the wheels, they "subtly" suggest white walls.

I may even put "fake" molded in spot lights and skirts on it to make it look more like a hot rod while still being obviously a funny car.

I'll do the details (door openings, etc.) on the body with drafting pens so that they will appear to have been painted on the glass body shell, the grille, head & tail lights will either be hand painted or decals...don't want to get too far away from the fact that it is a funny car.

As I mentioned before, I really didn't want to stretch out the nose of this puppy to accommodate the the funny car chassis...I was concerned that it would screw up the classic lines of the '49 Merc. Soooooo, here's how I altered the wheel base of the body for those interested.

I've gutted out the inside of the body to maintain a fiberglass shell appearance and cut out the front wheel section, I'll cut out a little more once the wheel wells are where I want them. That white chunk of plastic that's sitting on the chassis will be bonded inside the body when I get to that point in construction.

Afunbod002.jpg

Afunbod003.jpg

Good Golly Miss Molly......"don't ya love it when a plan starts to come together"? I think Hannibal from the A Team said that.

Got the stance, look and attitude I was after.........wotcha think Jim, should it be metallic black with flames or perhaps candy tangerine....maybe flat black primer with our F.A.S.T. logo on the sides? What to do, what to do.

Input or suggestions welcome gang......even if it's constructive criticism. I'm a thick skinned old fart and not particularly combative. Feel free to express your personal take on the build as long as it's within the ModelCars forum policy. We don't want to cause Harry any undue stress...right?

Afunbod007.jpg