Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1/16 70.5 Camaro ProMod

stump

Thank you so much Clay, Chris, Len, Joe and Richard. :)

Clay, yes...I would say the step down to 1/16 hasn't done any harm... ;) It's a little easier because there's a bit more in variety of parts availability too.

Not having to start from scratch with every turn you make.....think that's what slowed the big one down a tad... :( I have a good feel for this already.

Chris, yeah, the linkage is only loosely fitted so far (testing), but the rod ends (from Rob) are his pre-drilled ones. I scratched around to find a suitable size

stainless rod, cut it to length and bingo.....The rod will get a jam nut at both ends during assembly.

Joe, that was some very old brass mesh.....goodness knows how old, or where I got it.... :lol:

Still not 100% sure I'll stick with it.....it just seamed the obvious choice with the brass pedal arms. Unless I come up with better, they'll probably stay....

Didn't achieve a whole lot last night.......I dozed off around 4.30pm........ :wacko: (too big of a weekend....) Awoke around 12.45am this morning...............AAAAHHHHH ! :angry: :lol:

I did manage to make 2 new levers for the linkage. I shortened the clutch end and made the other one (1/24 plug loom) stronger.

The actual bar between the rod ends is now more free flowing in movement and doesn't bind. :)

Will try to add a few more bars tonight, then it's just a case of waiting on my order from Michael (Dirtmodeler) so I can add some tabs and things... B)

cheers guys

Greg

Fandamntabulous !

I'm just getting into this thread and wow Greg, you're flying now. Every bit of this build so far is stunning and it looks as though another convert to 1/16th scale is pushing his skills set even further. This will be a blast to follow. Probably almost as much fun as building it.

Thanks for your very kind words of encouragement John, Brad and Scott. :)

Slow progress is good progress, right....? Well, yes I say. :D

Started some major thinning of the body last night.

WARNING :

DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS !

Well, not unless you prepare a lot better than I did. :rolleyes:

Thinning the body is mainly my course of action as I want the cage to fit pretty snug up inside the A pillars and along the inside of the roof/door lines.

No big drama, the resin actually is very easy to work with, and I gotta say, I haven't noticed any air bubbles at all, and the outside is clean as too. Credit to Terry. :)

Ok, so I fitted myself with a mask (prevent breathing the rubbish up)....Check.

Window open, well ventilated.....Check.

After approx. 20 minutes of gentle scrapes, grinds and massaging with the Dremel, I pulled up for a break.

:wacko: :o :blink:

I, looked like the proverbial snowman, and my bench resembled a snow field......................... :(

So...lesson learned, I'm finishing this part over the weekend.......................OUTSIDE. :lol:

The great thing I have noticed so far is, the front half of the roof which I have done, is still holding shape and form with no signs of fatigue from

my actions at all. It still wont be as thin as plastic, but it will be a lot thinner than it was. And a whole bunch lighter. :)

Pics over the weekend, all going to plan.......................

cheers

Greg

Greg... sounds like you are making some good progress Mate. Looking forward to seeing pics this weekend. I can only imagine the dust that was on the workbench. I find some of the same thing when doing body work and sanding down the Bondo. May not be quite as bad as resin but still stinks..lol

:lol: Hey, thanks Robert, Tyrone, Chris, Scott and Richard. :)

Yeah, better preparation would not have gone unwanted.....or required for that matter. :lol:

I still come off looking like a snowman Saturday arvo...and that was outside, with a breeze blowing.......

Rightio, here's where we're at.......

Inner body has lost LOTS of FAT.......

These are from the end of week work, prior to heading west over the weekend..

DSCF8208-vi.jpg

DSCF8206-vi.jpg

And.....the indoor snow storm.

DSCF8205-vi.jpg

Saturday's work just continued towards the rear, plus I got brave and went a little deeper all over......

A little toooooo deep in places, but any holes, chunks missing in action, should be easily resolved before final body prep.

DSCF8209-vi.jpg

DSCF8212-vi.jpg

Continues.....

Managed some extra chassis work as well in between body shifts....

Kind of a mixed mash of ideas I'm seeing both here (in some incredible builds) and in the 1:1 world.

Started at the rear main loop, then added the "dropped" lower waste belt bar, behind the driver area. Will look ok once the F/car style cage gets added. :)

DSCF8225-vi.jpg

DSCF8237-vi.jpg

Several "failed" attempts at the centre motor plate bracing.. :(

DSCF8238-vi.jpg

Finally settling on this.....

DSCF8239-vi.jpg

Extra X brace added, as well as a couple of smaller bars so far...An overall look at where we're at.

DSCF8240-vi.jpg

DSCF8241-vi.jpg

With motor test...........

DSCF8243-vi.jpg

May not be a lot more action for a day or two, as I'm still eagerly awaiting my parts from Michael (DirtModeler).. :)

Plus.....last night I finally hit the "buy" key at Shapeways for some gear from Tim @ TDR. :rolleyes::wub:300+ bucks worth..... :huh: Nup, not sayin' what they are. :lol:

Sooo.....there is going to be another short wait on some more parts to throw into this thing....... :P

Stay tuned guys.....it's about to get dirty..........

Wow Greg you have quite a mess on your hands...... LOL. Curious what bits are you using to clean the inside? The one I use looks like a cylinder with vertical teeth and it is flat on the bottom. This is what I used to clean out the trunk area and the tail light section. I should have done the same with the roof but didn't want to deal with the mess.

That main hoop with that drop bar is definitely something I don't see all the time. curious to see what other differences you have planned with your chassis.

Greg... It's looking good buddy... you really thinned that body down alot... I thin mine out too, but I havent been brave enough to take that much out of one.. ;) the chassis work is looking top notch... I love watching these go together...

Hey, thanks so much Zac, Richard, Bart, Robert, Scott and Tyrone. :)

Zac, I am having a ton of fun mate. :D Thing is, we're among a lot of very good (skilled) company here, so it gets rather infectious..... :wub:

Richard, there may be small tid-bits flowing in, in the mean time...... ;)

Bart and Robert, my main items of attack were as pictured below. It sounds very much like the one you use Bart.

The small "ball" bit could be a bit larger, but it helps to get in close around areas like the A pillars Rob.

Bart, the 'mess' is still something I'm coming to terms with...............the clean up...................... :lol:

And the drop bar.....yeah, I was really undecided on that. I have seen similar on a few chassis, though they tend to have a bit more space behind

the main loop.....Time will tell if it suits.

I may need to add an extra loop (funnycar style) ahead of the main loop if it looks too dangerous from a drivers view point.

DSCF8250-vi.jpg

LOL :lol: Thanks Scott. Was kinda hard to tell though, as what hair I have left is mostly gray.....LOL

Tyrone, you gotta get brave man............ :D

Hehehe, man, I was pretty nervous believe me...Just nibbled away at it very slowly.....

The few places the machinery (was never my fault....LOL...) did get too close to edges and such, well I hope they patch up ok.....

Rightio, there may be the odd update to still be had.................................

Did some more with the seat last night, plus I started to sort out what/how the seat will be mounted...Brass wire frame ?? Maybe.....More as it happens.

Early this arvo, I started to work on the hand-brake.

I was not going to worry about this, as pics I've seen show some with, others don't use them....................

Anyway, after seeing the incredible work Clay has put before us, I decided to give it a shot.

Based HUGELY on what Clay has done, I have given it some minor tweaks......It works as is, but a few items may change before the final draft.....

I made a base from square styrene channel (one edge cut off) and added a tiny mounting tab below the main bars for it to mount onto.

The front mounts (shaft/bar at pedals) are 2 tiny distributor Y clamps from a 1/24 p/etch set.

A couple of rod-end style joints (1 x RBMotion, the other unknown) and some small diameter rod, and things were happening................

DSCF8249-vi.jpg

DSCF8248-vi.jpg

I'd like to alter the angle of the rod, make it a nice transition when moving....so the bar may get changed.

Hope to get some more done tomorrow (ANZAC day holiday down here)....so maybe a seat update.......................

Thanks for stopping by guys

cheers

Greg

Greg.... that be the one I use, I really like it because it is nice and slow but does a really nice job at getting a pretty parallel smooth surface. I have never tried the round ball that you have, and at my local hobby store they have one that is a bit bigger than the one you showed. I have been wondering if it would work very well, especially on the compound curves on the inside of the body. May have to give it a try!

Oh, a tip for you... may not be as good with the ground out resin. But if you use the finer stuff you sand down, if you have a hole you can throw some on the hole and put some CA glue on it, and it will heat up and melt right back down in that hole. Some sanding will be needed and possibly a file due to it being a bit harder due to the CA, but it will work and not have to worry about it popping back out later on.

Greg... this thing is just Killer Mate!! You are a brave man to thin that body out and it sure looks like it snowed there :lol: . That Chassis work is top notch my friend. You guys are setting that Bar high. keep up the great detail that you are doing.