Model Cars Magazine Forum

stretch tire look

Thats pretty cool. Isnt Lownslow ( Frank ) doing these? I also thought Alan Raab ( Ma's resins ) had, or was going to have them. I got a few of the aoshima sets off ebay, first two were 14 bucks, last two were 20. Thats a lot of money.

I dont get the stretch tire thing, maybe I am missing something,

I don't get it either. Putting tires on wheels that are too wide for them is inviting all kinds of handling issues and premature tire failure due to the lack od bead support. It's worse than putting a wide tire on a rim that's too narrow, which also creates its own set of handling issues.

I don't get it either.

It's a "for looks" modification, like many others. I don't care for the look, but I don't think it's all that different than a ton of similar mods people make to their rides.

Frank has some images of his stretchwall tire castings posted in the Resin section: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54496&st=40

It's a "for looks" modification, like many others. I don't care for the look, but I don't think it's all that different than a ton of similar mods people make to their rides.

Frank has some images of his stretchwall tire castings posted in the Resin section: http://www.modelcars...pic=54496&st=40

Oh I know, i was just curious has I just didnt understand what it was all about or for, I knew it couldnt be for handling lol

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get the stretch tire thing, maybe I am missing something,

Here is a how to from another forum

http://forum.spc.org...php?f=6&t=16377

Among the crowd I ran with back in the 70's and 80's, seeing tires like that on some guy's car meant that he found a set of fancy wheels, but couldn't afford the proper sized tires for them. Most of wouldn't dream of putting wheels on a car unless we could get some matching tires- there would be more than a few derisive stares from the others.

But I'm old and times change.

David G.

Its is for looks but it is also got help with hitting cracks and bumps in drift cars, that is the main reason

I find that very hard to believe. A tire on a correct width wheel will outperform one on a too wide or too narrow wheel any day.