Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Limited's '48 Chevy Coupe

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing a '48 Pontiac Torpedo, ( that's their term for the "Fleetline".)

And while I'm talkin' "Tin Indian", how about a'50-'51 Torpedo, maybe in resin that would work on one of the apprropriate GM chassis we already have?

Edited by horsepower

• 4 weeks later...

These look great.

The 46 to 48 Chevs beat their 41 to 48 Ford equivalents just for the fact that their front fenders blended into the their doors. The only thing missing from this line up though, is a convertible, that would be cool !

These look great.

The 46 to 48 Chevs beat their 41 to 48 Ford equivalents just for the fact that their front fenders blended into the their doors. The only thing missing from this line up though, is a convertible, that would be cool !

Maybe that's next? :lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing a '48 Pontiac Torpedo, ( that's their term for the "Fleetline".)

And while I'm talkin' "Tin Indian", how about a'50-'51 Torpedo, maybe in resin that would work on one of the apprropriate GM chassis we already have?

like the 41 chebby I'd love the 41 Pontiac with its straight 8. The 48 Pontiac torpedo and 48 chevy fleetline do not share the same body if I remember correctly the Pontiac and buick have a longer wider body (not sure about the olds) so none of the interior changes over. I only know this from personal experience

Re the grille:

What do you think is wrong with it ? :huh:

Sorry to take so long to answer.

You know how many words a picture is worth...

14247544626_b7de1ab902_z.jpg

In the words of Wolfman Jack: "...you've got the curves, baby, I've got the angles!" :rolleyes: I can probably fix this, to a point, but it will take a lot of work. It's just been a pet peeve for me because (1) the '46 is my favorite Chevy grille, and (2) everything else in the kit looks so good.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I remember a conversation with someone from Trumpeter regarding the carving of molds.
Seems the artists who are working on the molds have never SEEN some of the cars they are making models of.
In the far distant past the mold makers probably road and grew up in the very cars they were modeling.
In the near distant past the makers relied on drawings and photographs.
Something the Trumpeter director said stuck with me... he said "it would be cheaper to stuff an actual 1:1 car into a shipping container and send it to the makers in China, Korea or where ever the molds are being made."
Today with computers and 3D scanners.....many of those mold makers use 3D masters made here in the States.
But unfortunately that grill for the '46 falls into the era of drawings.
Turning a well done 1 dimensional drawing into a perfect representation of an actual piece takes skills I am afraid the Koreans didn't possess when those molds were made.

Re the grille:

Sorry to take so long to answer.

You know how many words a picture is worth...

14247544626_b7de1ab902_z.jpg

In the words of Wolfman Jack: "...you've got the curves, baby, I've got the angles!" :rolleyes: I can probably fix this, to a point, but it will take a lot of work. It's just been a pet peeve for me because (1) the '46 is my favorite Chevy grille, and (2) everything else in the kit looks so good.

Yep. And that's a WORLD of difference.

Photos are 2 dimensional, though..can only go so far...need 3D scans of a 1:1 to feed into a CAD system, I would think.

The above 2-dimensional photo makes the incorrect kit grille contour painfully obvious. The real thing has an outer rim that's a smooth continuous curve. I don't care if you've never seen a photo of that car's grille ever... the contours are obvious, and the kit part's mistakes are just as obvious.

Also obvious in the photo is the spacing between the grille ribs. Again, way off on the kit piece.

It seems to me the 46 grille is specifically made that way to fit the contour of the grille opening molded into the front end.

In the kit the front end is formed as a flat vertical plane. The grille opening is sunken into it, with a flat backing. The grille is installed into the opening.

It is designed for the 47/48 grille, with the grille bars extending outside the opening. For the 46 grille they just made it the exact squared off shape as the opening, so the grille fits inside it.

Edited by fumi

Stuff like that just makes me wonder.

And don't tell me the problem is Chinese craftsmen who have never seen the real thing.

I mean, we can send these Chinese craftsmen photos, right? :rolleyes:

Can't they just google image their own pictures

>Turning a well done 1 dimensional drawing into a perfect representation of an actual piece takes skills I am afraid

>the Koreans didn't possess when those molds were made.

first of all, a drawing is a 2 dimensional thing in most all cases.

second of all its not "the Koreans" who didn't possess the necessary skills...it may or may not have been one or more Koreans who actually got the job, but not "the Koreans" in general.

just trying to keep it real.

jb