Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Rolls: Nothing exceeds like excess

I'm sure this comes under the category of "If you have to ask the price..." so Rolls isn't saying anything about the price of the new Extended Wheelbase Phantom Series II, built with an eye to the Chinese market. One of its most over-the-top features (literally) is a headliner with 1,600 fiber optic lights sewn in to create the illusion of a starry sky.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/5180/Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Series-II-EWB.html

Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Series-II-EWB_5.jpg

First we get game consoles that let us pretend to "play" sports indoors, now we get a moonroof with fake stars! What next? Flat screen panels instead of windows in our houses so we can select the view that we want to see if the real thing isn't good enough?

:lol:

I want mine with a little mantlepiece complete with artificial fire in the centre console.

That's probably very doable - no kidding. You can order this car any way you want it, including having it painted to match your favorite necktie.

First we get game consoles that let us pretend to "play" sports indoors, now we get a moonroof with fake stars! What next? Flat screen panels instead of windows in our houses so we can select the view that we want to see if the real thing isn't good enough?

:lol:

Actually people in downtown apartments already have those.

Has anyone watched the show Ultimate Factories? There was one episode on building these cars...more like crafting. Talk about personal service. You work with a consultant in a studio that has samples of paint, leather, wood, and other touches they can offer to put in a car. Definately not like going down to your local Chevy dealership and ordering a car out of a pamplet or off the lot.

Has anyone watched the show Ultimate Factories? There was one episode on building these cars...more like crafting. Talk about personal service. You work with a consultant in a studio that has samples of paint, leather, wood, and other touches they can offer to put in a car. Definately not like going down to your local Chevy dealership and ordering a car out of a pamplet or off the lot.

Yep... being filthy rich does have its advantages...

Luckily I've never liked any RR after the 1940s, so this one ain't going to do it for me no matter how many fiber optics they throw in. LOL! :lol:

Well, it clearly proves that no money in the world buys you taste, style, and dignity.

I find the car exceedingly tacky.

:lol: i found a little humor in your "evening" typo, considering we are talking about a car with a starry sky headliner

i like it and think it's very interesting and cool.

Oh yea I did type evening :lol: , thats funny that I typed that, well I was trying to say even ;)

Edited by martinfan5

There will always be a market for the uber rich, and a luxury car for them to be carted around in. Me'es thinks it is easy to scoff at such electronics from our little abodes, but... if it was your tush being chauffeured in that car, twinkling lights and all, I would bet the farm it would be an impressive experience. Because it is not just one part of the ride that would impress, but rather the sum of the entire experience.

There will always be a market for the uber rich, and a luxury car for them to be carted around in. Me'es thinks it is easy to scoff at such electronics from our little abodes, but... if it was your tush being chauffeured in that car, twinkling lights and all, I would bet the farm it would be an impressive experience. Because it is not just one part of the ride that would impress, but rather the sum of the entire experience.

And if it showed up in driveways free and clear , I bet they wouldnt be complaining then

Those seats look like they'd go good in my truck.lol Jk . I can't ponder what else one could throw into a vehicle . Thanks rolls for adding something else.

I gotta agree, only problem is that the leather just one of those seats are covered in would like cost more than my Jeep is worth :lol:

Actually, it is not that bad. Connolly leather usually retails at about £3-5 per square foot and it is also used by many other auto makers, like VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, and many others. It was also used in my Rover.