Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cab Over Glory

I don't know what era these were most popular in, but I tell you seeing some of these beauties really make me wonder why they faded . . .

They also make great modeling subjects . . . right?

47_to_53_011.87120341_std.jpg

207TN.jpg

really-old-chevy-truck_55439.jpg

53218712_pr.jpg

l.jpg

Are there extreme cases of these in the 30s and 40s?

I have seen these as Diecasts in several scales (Maisto?) and I have to say I like them quite a bit. I know there are some resin ones out there for the 50 Chevy, etc . . .

I just love the rounded features. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

Technically, those are not true "cabovers". GM called them Low Cab Forward, somewhat of an in between of a conventional and a true cabover. You get the short wheelbase and in city manueverability of the cabover, but the ease of routine maintainance (checking fluids, oil changes) of a conventional. I know GM produced those style trucks well into the '70s. As to whey they went away? I'm not really sure.

I dunno bout some of you , but working one some of them was well, like working on a Late model van. Driving one , say the 1950 Chevrolets were stuffy, cramped , and the ride was near sheer tourture in some cities . I can actually say I have worked on a couple and driven one of the Chevrolets . Even the 1963 COE G M C I was stuck with wasn't the most comfortable thing I ever drove either , especially since the steering wheel was always between my legs . Hey, try saying all those , "I gotta have one" after you've done a day in Houston traffic ................. Ed Shaver

I believe you, Ed, I would have never thought they would be comfortable or pleasant to drive, but I must confess I really like the way they look . . .

x2,I saw an International custom at the local car cruise in last Friday in this style cab.

The stubby conventional truck style cabovers like those posted start to show up in the mid 30s, but began to lose ground to tilt cab trucks when they started to appear in the late 50s. These also provided very short cab lengths, but with far better access for maintenace since the whole cab tilted out of the way.

Cab overs faded in the US due to relaxed overall length regulations. In their heyday cab overs allowed for longer trailers / combinations. They even had short frame mounted boxes on the tractor sort of like a sleeper but for cargo in addition to trailers to maximize allowable cargo space. These days cabovers provide a practical use for congested areas so you still find them in the medium duty delivery truck role, fire trucks etc, but the current laws in the US allow long conventional trucks with monster sleepers, pulling 53 foot trailers. In the past those long trucks would have been illegal in many states.

Conventioal trucks also usually ride better than cabovers which makes them more popular with long distance over the road truckers.

Edited by Aaronw

I know these are not considered cab overs, but I am also enamored of these vehicles . . . most of which I imagine are extremely difficult to find. Not even in movie productions . . . like the dinosaurs they've disappeared forever . . . .

beertrucks_01_resized.jpg

01a01001r3.jpg

tumblr_lk4fu6Yakl1qgvvn1o1_1280.jpg

I found another great example of a cab over . . .

CC-141-127-800.jpg