Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Fairlane Club Victoria times 2

Lovefordgalaxie

I have a thing for Fords, and the '57 Fairlane is special to me, because a AMT Fairlane was my first kit when I was 10 or 11 years old. That one is "no longer among us" as I put it apart with the intention of rebuilding it, and ended loosing most part of it and eventually trowing the remains away.

This year I finally decided to give the AMT Fairlane a second try, and also a third try :P

That happened because I couldn't choose if I was going to build a factory stock or a mild custom Fairlane, so I decided to build both.

As always, my lack of patience and my urge to see the models done got in the way of adding some extra detail, and the cars ended basically being built box stock, both in automotive paint Raven Black monotone, with the medium gray/colonial white interior.

As the finish of the automotive paint wasn't what I wanted, as I'm used to paint with Tamiya spray cans, I gave it a few coats of Tamiya clear, and it ended, after some buffing, looking like a Tamiya paint job with the good old TS-14 black.

Well, here goes the pics, first the factory stock, and after the custom:

Fairlane001copy.jpg

Fairlane002copy.jpg

Fairlane003copy.jpg

Fairlane007copy.jpg

Fairlane008copy.jpg

Fairlane009copy.jpg

Fairlane011copy.jpg

Fairlane012copy.jpg

Fairlane500ClubVictoria013copy.jpg

Fairlane03.jpg

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. The stock Fairlane is a dead ringer for the one my neighbor had when I was tyke in the mid 60's. Something about that car fascinated my 5-year old brain. Beautiful work on both.

Edit: Oh stop it now the with the B&W photos. Now you're really throwing me back to my happy childhood.

Edited by Lunajammer

Nice models for sure, and even better are the pictures with the model in that photo op base. Do you have any information on how you put the base together? Excellent work.

That base I built with a wood canvas, the kind people use to do artistic paintings with acrylic paint, and the wavy part of a carboard box.

First thing, I mixed beach sand with flat black paint, and used a foam roller to paint the base, creating the "concrete" texture. After that, I used a knife to draw the concrete plating separation. Next, I just airbrushed the base with five different tones of acrylic gray. To create the "grass" on the separations of the concrete plates, I just used white water based glue, and fake grass from the hobby shop. The fence wasbuilt with the cardpaper box "insides" painted silver, then "washed" with flat black, and somedry brushing with rust (I used Testors leather brown)

The white lines separating the parking spaces were done with Testors acrylic flat white a brush and some masking tape, and it's ok if the paind "leakes", after all those lines were never perfect on the real thing.

ParkingLot001.jpg

Túlio,Again and again you amaze me with your work!!!,you are a master at laying a flawless black finish!!!,and as you say "my lack of patience and my urge to see the models done got in the way of adding some extra detail" you make up for it in your detail in paint details.......

They're both nice Tulio! I love '57 Fords! I built one a few years ago that's kinda between your custom and stock build. I really need to get it repainted and back on the shelf.

Tulio..dang it Son !

The scripe work is insane..how about a how to on Bare Metal foil work..hint hint

My BMF work is giving me all kinds of grief.

Gorgeous base and build.Especially the engine bay.

James aka Joker

Wow!! Thanks a lot guys!!!

Tha BMF it's really a pain untill you get the hang of it, what, unfortunatelly can take a while... This remembers me I'm almost out of the stuff. Will have to buy more soon, and it takes a good 20 to 30 days to USPS send it from the States. For some reason, the hooby shops around here never have BMF on stock

Waaaay cool!!! I'm working on the ragtop version as we speak, a replica of the car my dad had when I was kid. With any luck, mine might be able to share the same 'parking lot' as yours when completed.

57ragtop.jpg

WOW!!! That's way cool!!!

That's a fine looking ragtop.

Are those Revell tires? I think they are much nicer than the kit's originals.

The only regreat I have with mine is not having it wired, but since the Y-Block V8 spark plug wires go to the plugs from under the exhaust manifolds, only the wires leaving the distributor would be visible, so I was lazy and didn't do it.

I wish those tires you are using Mike were available for sale on Hobby Shops. I had a '55 Chevy kit butchered for the stock tires for my '58 Edsel.

Revell tires indeed, from the '49 Merc kit. Which tires did you go with, as they look perfect.

Mike, I used the old AMT Firestones that came with my AMT '40 Ford. I used a circle template, and airbrushed whitewalls on them.

At a recent swap meet, I found a box with lot's of parts, from lot's of different kits, but I got it because it had also lots of Monogram tires, with separate white plastic for the whitewalls. Those are a little too generic, because they have no names, but before I discovered the circle template trick, I used them alot.