Model Cars Magazine Forum

AC289

Webb

Hi again. Here's something a little more "mainstream". This was a Baldwin Motion Cobra that I converted into a right hand drive AC289. The AC289, for those who didn't know, were made in England after the 427 Cobras were discontinued. AC cars still had chassis and bodies so they put 289 engines in 427 bodies. In my opinion, the best of both worlds. Beautiful body, bullet proof chassis and much easier to live with 289 engine! These were the only cars that had the 427 body and wire wheels. I built this as a curbside so I wouldn't have to move the steering and make numerous other changes under the hood. I know my limits!

The wire wheels are from Model Factory Hiro. Paint is Duplicolor Medium Charcoal.

Chris

post-9795-0-74800600-1337616481_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-77883200-1337616493_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-10677200-1337616505_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-77654600-1337616520_thumb.jp

Sweet Cobra. Looks real pretty in what could be a period correct colour. I didn't know about the AC289. Like most I thought that once the 427 died out, that was it for all cobras, I guess you learn something new every day. Well done Chris.

Thanks guys. These were "technically" not Cobras because Carroll, may he rest in piece, owned the rights to the name Cobra and wouldn't let AC Cars use it. Hence the name "AC289".

Chris

Looks great, Very nice clean work. The Cobra looks so much better without the side pipes & the wire wheels add class. Very cool.

Thanks again Scott. I have one of the 1/16th scale kits that I'm also going to do away the the side pipes. The kit actually comes with "standard" exhaust manifolds and full length exhaust pipes so it should be easy.

Chris