Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing Link 1969-1975 Dodge Hubcaps

After less than a week , I received my order for Missing Link Resins excellent 1969-1975 Dodge hubcaps , and I am beyond words when it comes to describing their beauty !!

These 25th scale , chrome-plates gems are spot-on with the details ; how did they fit all of those hubcaps' details into these little beauties ?!?

I'm posting this at my own beheadst to let you all know that if you're considering buying them , don't hesitate for one minute ; they look better in person than in the photos !!

The ones I bought are going on a '69 GTS 383 Dart .

Auto Atomix made those caps from aluminum. I believe that they are now out of business. I'm using mine on a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner.

Those also look like the Johan '68 Plymouth police car hubcaps...The Modelhaus IIRC reproduces them.

• 3 weeks later...

I need the Plymouth version of those....

SANY0008-vi.jpg?1339526848

.....and these are the Plymouth versions from 67-69.

from 70-75, both the Dodge and Plymouth hub caps were the same, like the Dodge ones that were shown earlier but with no emblems.

Edited by Honda446

.....and these are the Plymouth versions from 67-69.

from 70-75, both the Dodge and Plymouth hub caps were the same, like the Dodge ones that were shown earlier but with no emblems.

Actually, the ones shown are 1967 1968

1969 up thru approx 1972 or 73 Plymouth only cap had the PLYMOUTH lettering along the outer perimeter of the cap

and

1969 up thru approx 1974 Dodge only caps shown , dodge cap has the 'fratzog in the center

And

After approx 1973 or 74 the caps became kinda generick with no lettering,

And after approx 1974 or 1975 then later model caps it has a series of holes along the outer perirmiter of the cap

Edited by gtx6970

And after approx 1974 or 1975 then later model caps it has a series of holes along the outer perirmiter of the cap

Early '74 caps looked the same but did not have The "ventilated" caps were put into production on the late '74 police package with 440 Magnum engine. Only. All '75-on Magnums had the "ventilated" caps, while '75 - '76 lesser engined police package cars got the same non-ventilated caps that regular production cars got.

Then in '77 and on, all police packages got the "ventilated" (or "vented," for short) caps.

The holes were originally a fix for a serious problem, not for decoration. The police package 440 Magnums were so heavy and hot (both ways) they just fried the front hubs until a Chrysler Corp engineer/hot rodder came up with the solution! Wheel failures were a big problem until the "drilled" or "ventilated" caps came along. Those 18 holes in the hubcap cooled the wheel centers and brakes just enough.

Initially, they only put the ventilated caps on the 440s, but later they decided to simplify the assembly lines by not using different caps for different engines.

These were police car caps only, but someone said they turned up on regular production cars later in the 80's. I don't know about that. I only ever saw them on police cars until the rodders picked up on them after they were out of production.

To my knowledge, no one has offered the vented caps in 1/24-1/25. Has anyone?

B)

Edited by Danno

To clarify the variables regarding these hubcaps :

1969-1975 Dodge hubcaps (mid-late year change to "generic" hubcaps ; no Dodge-specific markings) were used on all carlines .

1969-1975 Plymouth hubcaps : same as above

The vented hubcaps came around in circa 1976 or 1977 , generic to both Dodge and Plymouth , but typically found only on "A38" conversion packages (police package) . Civilian models still had the generic , plain hubcaps.

When the Dakota was introduced , the fleet package models (city / county / state and telecommunications) received these vented hubcaps , as did the '80-'88 Diplomat / Fury twins .

The vented wheels were introduced in circa 1976 or 1977 , and were only available in 15" sizes (15x8").

I have also seen (and have personally owned a set) a variation on the '69-'75 Dodge hubcaps , which I *believe* were used only on trucks and vans . These were stamped as the passenger car versions , but were sans detail painting , and were finished in a dull silver or aluminum .

@ Danno : The coveted (for their parts only) '75-'78 Monaco / Gran Fury police car models produced by Yodel featured the vented hubcaps , albeit with simple "dimples" on the caps . I'd imagine that one could either paint the holes or carefully drill them out using a pinvice .