Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I make a flat finish glossy?

Ok i'm really mad right now - i painted the body of my 69 GTO today. I finally decided on a dark green, a popular color for the judge. So I went over to Michaels stores and purchased what i thought was gloss green from the their testor display, you know the little 1 oz. bottles.

I'm using an airbrush and the finish came out great, but i quickly noticed the finish was dull. Turns out Michaels had Flat green were Gloss green should have been. My question is what is the best way to make the coat shiney?? Will a clear coat fix this??

Also i never used a clearcoat before and the ones they have at Michaels Stores are a laquer based clear coat by Testors. Can laquer clear go over enamel paint? Is their such a thing as enamel clear coats?? Should I be using those??

The laquer I purchased is called the "wet look" by Testors and its in a can and it's laquer based. They didn't have it in the little bottles so I can't shoot it from my airbrush. Just want to get this thing shiney! Be interested in hearing all opinions on this. Thanks so much, John

You can shot some gloss clear over it, and it will give it a shine, I would not recommend you use the lacquer clear over the enamel, you can, but you would have to build it up using a lot of mist coats, if try doing in one coat like it the can says, it will make the enamel run.

Testors does make an enamel gloss clear coat, and you can use the one coat in your A/B, just decant it from the can, thin it with lacquer thinner.

Did the green you used, was that shot thru your A/B?, if so , what did you thin it with it, if you thinned it with a lacquer based thinner, then you should not have any problems using the one coat over it, just do not try to apply it in one coat, and the one coat stuff isnt really one coat, you need two really. But its a nice clear coat though

Edited by martinfan5

OK martinfan5, what your're saying is if I thinned the enamel paint with laquer thinner, then I can use the laquer based clearcoat i.e. "the wet look".

Danno - I used future on a earlier build and it started to crack - i rather stay away from it with the fear in might happen again. thx

OK martinfan5, what your're saying is if I thinned the enamel paint with laquer thinner, then I can use the laquer based clearcoat i.e. "the wet look".

Danno - I used future on a earlier build and it started to crack - i rather stay away from it with the fear in might happen again. thx

I have the same thing happen when I used future before, but yes, if you thinned the enamel with lacquer thinner, then yes you can use lacquer clear coat, what was the ratio you used for paint to thinner?,

2 to 1 - paint to thinner.

also jon as far as decanting the "wet look" so I can airbrush it, can't i just spray it right into the bottle and collect it like that? why do people go through the hassle with the straws and such? thx again and sorry for the multiple posts

also jon as far as decanting the "wet look" so I can airbrush it, can't i just spray it right into the bottle and collect it like that? why do people go through the hassle with the straws and such? thx again and sorry for the multiple posts

No worries about the multiple post, I know how I worded it came off a little mean, that was not my intent.

I am not an expert on decanting, but I know you need the straw, I think the way it works is the stray helps more of the gas escape just leaving the paint to flow into the jar.

No Jon I didn't take it as mean - no problem buddy!. I was panicking as I've been preparing to paint this car for the past week and then Michaels had to go and put the wrong paint in their Labeled display case. I should have brought my reading glasses, but i just assumed it was gloss green instead of flat green and the lettering on those small bottles is almost impossible to read at my age.

Anyway one thing I have noticed is that for some reason matte paint dries much quicker than gloss paint and that you get a more forgiving paint job with the matte paint. If this clear coat thing works and comes out shiney enough, I might do all of my models with matte enamel paint and then clearcoat vs. just using gloss enamel paint.

Thanks for all the great advice! - i'm going to let this dry for a few days and then clearcoat this as you have suggested - The last thing i want to do is strip this down and restart with gloss paint - i love shiney finishes and I'm hoping this "wet look" works

thx, john

can't i just spray it right into the bottle and collect it like that? why do people go through the hassle with the straws and such?

I think if you try spraying that aerosol can directly into anything you will quickly become aware that the "hassle' you speak of (straws) is the smart way to transfer paint.

CadillacPat

Go with the straw- otherwise you'll have all that paint and propellant flying back into your face! Using a straw or some other type of tubing on the spray nozzle will minimize that.

thx I will. i did decant a can of yellow testors into a bottle a few months ago and it worked great - it did blow back some paint and propellent, but for the most part it worked great. That's why i was wondering why some go to the trouble of all of these elaborate decanting systems, seems like over kill - But I will use a straw next time. Thanks

You certainly can simply spray directly from rattle can to a jar--been doing exactly that for as long as I've had an airbrush, and that's a couple of months more than 50 years. Just do it carefully, only depress the nozzle of the spray can just enough to get some paint, not the full force, or you can get paint all over your hands (you still will get some paint on your fingers, but a pair of nitrile exam gloves prevents that becoming a mess.

Art

The time-honored rule is "Never ever put lacquer over enamel," but some of the hobby synthetic lacquers are pretty good that way. Nonetheless, I'd test a similarly painted part before risking the entire paint job.It's important not to spray it too wet. Lacquer thinner HATES enamel, and will make a big mess of it.

Guys, the Testor's spray lacquers are not hot, that's just a modified enamel, not a true lacquer. I use any kind of paint but I prefer to have a flat color for my base than a gloss simply because a flat coat is thinner and has a lot less orange peel. You can shoot right out of the can or decant it and use the airbrush. I wetsand and Polish all my finishes so to me it doesn't make a difference if it was shot from an airbrush or the can.