Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any one know anything about clocks

No. More like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/dr-pepper-soda-cola-advertising-pam-glass-face-clock-sign-/290729648617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0d661e9 I take it back it's not Pam. The back is plastic unlike that one and the motor says Graham. I know it's not a Reproduction because my garandfather had it in his TV shop back in the 50's/60's.

I don't know a lot about clocks,but,If you were going to restore it for yourself only,then do it!!!

If you were trying to restore it to sell it,most collectors of vintage items want it in the condition it is in now.

They want the patina on it and might not like the way you restore it.You might just clean it a bit with soap and water but nothing abrasive.

Just my 2 cents worth!! :D :D

Something like that would generally not be glued. The cover either is a snap fit, or there are some screws on the back. Look it over carefully. Try removing the back cover and see if that exposes any screws.

Somebody put it together... somebody can take it apart.

There is definitely some glue on it. It is the backplate I'm trying to get off. I don't have a razor saw but xacto is a good idea.

Try using a blow dryer to gently heat up the glued section to see if that helps. If you don't have a razor saw, try a hacksaw blade and go slow.

Continue researching this piece on the internet, you may find someone who is selling one that they repaired and you might be able to get them to share their secrets!

Try using a blow dryer to gently heat up the glued section to see if that helps. If you don't have a razor saw, try a hacksaw blade and go slow.

Continue researching this piece on the internet, you may find someone who is selling one that they repaired and you might be able to get them to share their secrets!

I tried heating it. It didn't work and I almost sawed through it with a hacksaw blade. I have not found anything on the internet.

Two things:

For starters, that clear clock cover is a blow-molded or vacuum-formed plastic part, and given how clear it still is, it's likely acrylic plastic, more commonly known as plexiglas (those weren't high-production items, BTW, unlike clocks you would have bought for your own kitchen wall back in the day). As such, it's very likely that the face and clear cover are glued together with liquid cement, such as Weld-On #3, which BTW is still used in plexiglas fabrication. Once glued in that manner, it's virtually impossible to get the two pieces apart from each other without some breakage around the mating edges.

Second, electric clock motors in those days were what was called "synchronous motors", which means that the motor turns at a constant speed, it's rpm's figured in multiples of 60 cycles per second, or the frequency of US Alternating Current. That's what made them so reliable for keeping time. When new, they were virtually silent, but as the hours/days/years of use add up, they begin to get noisy, due to wear internally, and there really isn't any way to repair them that I have ever seen--typically, they are sealed against contamination, so more than likely it's not dust or dirt inside the mechanism that's causing the noise--those motors and their gear train are of such low power output that any significant dirt contamination will just stop them cold. Probably the only way to get rid of the noise would be to replace the movement with a modern quartz crystal unit, which you can find at almost any Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or similar craft supply store, even online with a bit of Googling.

Art