Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oh Danno I feel your pain.

Her house is two miles west of I 25, and as such not threatened, yet. Her hubby, the Lt Col., got sent out of the country and is losing his mind right now. She's packed and ready to skip on a moments notice. No work for her today due to smoke and debris. If she bolts, she will probably head to St Louis to be with her mom and dad. I want her to head here and stay until hubby gets back. She'll need the diversion for sure.

G

###### you guys over there get some rough treatment.

Here in Estonia and actually most of the Europe we have nothing to worry about, maybe some thunderstorms that rip couple of trees out from ground and nothing more. And maybe little bit this or that.

But we dont have anything that puts lots of people and their properties in such a danger. I feel sorry for you guys and I hope things will be alright. Its always sad to see things like tornadoes and other stuff on news. You americans have big and powerful country but there is nothing to do for stopping mother nature.

Interesting.

But why the need to come up with a new term for "dust storm," which is about as straightforward and self-explanatory as it gets?

Given that the Arabic language predates English by thousands of years, isn't "dust storm" just a new term for haboob?

Should we also avoid the use of the term "tsunami"?

Besides, "haboob" is fun to say; I use the term any chance I get. :D

David G.

Given that the Arabic language predates English by thousands of years, isn't "dust storm" just a new term for haboob?

Should we also avoid the use of the term "tsunami"?

Besides, "haboob" is fun to say; I use the term any chance I get. :D

David G.

In this country they have always been called dust storms. Why the sudden shift to calling them something else?

In this country they have always been called dust storms. Why the sudden shift to calling them something else?

In the New York Times article cited above, there was one woman who was offended by the term "haboob" just because of its Arabic origin. I find that kind of thinking offensive. She expressed a concern that our returning military service personnel may become distressed and upset if they hear an Arabic word uttered in public. I'd like to think that the men and women who serve in our military are a bit tougher than that. In fact, it's quite possible that some of them brought the term back with them and helped to introduce it into common usage. Isn't that how foreign phrases like "Banzai!" and "Gung-Ho" came into common usage in English?

"Toilet paper" is now called "bathroom tissue", "stewardesses" are now "flight attendants", "shell-shock" has become "PTSD", "plain" M&Ms are now labeled as "milk chocolate" and "prunes" are now "dried plums". All languages continue to grow and evolve, the changes occur whether we want them to, or not. So I guess the question should be, "Why not?".

David G.

In the New York Times article cited above, there was one woman who was offended by the term "haboob" just because of its Arabic origin. I find that kind of thinking offensive. She expressed a concern that our returning military service personnel may become distressed and upset if they hear an Arabic word uttered in public. I'd like to think that the men and women who serve in our military are a bit tougher than that. In fact, it's quite possible that some of them brought the term back with them and helped to introduce it into common usage. Isn't that how foreign phrases like "Banzai!" and "Gung-Ho" came into common usage in English?

"Toilet paper" is now called "bathroom tissue", "stewardesses" are now "flight attendants", "shell-shock" has become "PTSD", "plain" M&Ms are now labeled as "milk chocolate" and "prunes" are now "dried plums". All languages continue to grow and evolve, the changes occur whether we want them to, or not. So I guess the question should be, "Why not?".

David G.

Because they're "Dust Storms" always have been, always will be.

Why not a native American term ? I'm sure our Ak Chin, Apache, Hopi, Navajo, Pima, Tohono- O'odham neighbors have an equally colorful term for dust storms we could use.

"Banzai" ? Really ?

Edited by Greg Myers

Why not a native American term ? I'm sure our Ak Chin, Apache, Hopi, Navajo, Pima, Tohono- O'odham neighbors have an equally colorful term for dust storms we could use.

"Banzai" ? Really ?

You're right, but my point is, what can we do to stop it from happening? Things change, there's not always a lot we can do about it.

And yes, "Banzai". It was brought into common usage in English by our GI's who served in WW II. The Japanese soldiers typically used it as a battle cry during desperate infantry charges or suicide attacks.

David G.

Nobody can control how English changes, and that's the beauty if it, and, well, most languages. There's a good reason words come and go when dictionaries are updated and published each year. English is made up a many bits, pieces, and words taken from other languages, so there's no hard and fast rule as to which words are accepted and which are shunned.

I have a friend in Phoenix, and he's referred to them as hoboobs for as long as I can remember- it has nothing to do with being "PC".

You could say "twenty-three skidoo", too, if you please, but I'm sure you'd get some funny looks.

Ok, Gung Ho works. I've heard that used before,

Now tell me how most Americans would use "Banzai" in our every day language .

More to the point, almost everybody in this country knows the word "banzai" and has an idea of what it means. Even if they don't use it every day, its usage and meaning are understood and accepted by most English speaking Americans.

Nobody can control how English changes, and that's the beauty if it, and, well, most languages. There's a good reason words come and go when dictionaries are updated and published each year. English is made up a many bits, pieces, and words taken from other languages, so there's no hard and fast rule as to which words are accepted and which are shunned.

I have a friend in Phoenix, and he's referred to them as hoboobs for as long as I can remember- it has nothing to do with being "PC".

You could say "twenty-three skidoo", too, if you please, but I'm sure you'd get some funny looks.

Exactly my point! Thank you.

David G.