Model Cars Magazine Forum

"American" cars?

Guest Johnny

You left out BEER! :lol:

You might want to take a closer look at ownership and the importation of product from several of the largest brewers of that beverage!

Many need to come out of the dark ages. Categorizing everything accomplishes nothing except giving something to make a liar out of you. Cars are probably the most dangerous of all subjects, be it country of "origin" or just make.

Better to just buy something you like, fits your need or that handles like a dream. Even the makes at the bottom of quality surveys are MUCH better than anything from the past. They all can even take corners!

You might want to take a closer look at ownership and the importation of product from several of the largest brewers of that beverage!

Even Pabst Blue Ribbon is outsourced to a company in South Africa !!!!!

http://blog.foreignp...cas_beersort_of

Drink American ...

200px-WildTurkeyBottle_no1.jpg

Edited by old-hermit

You left out BEER! :lol:

You mean good old "American" brands like Bud and Miller?

Anheuser-Busch (Bud, Michelob, Busch, etc.)... owned by a Belgian/Brazilian conglomerate.

Miller (Miller, Miller Lite, Leinenkugel, etc.)... owned by a SAB. South African Breweries.

Back in the 80's, Honda perfected the automobile. Their cars were reliable and built like a swiss watch. Their formula has never changed. While Honda perfected their method, Detroit churned out cars, with no regard to styling, reliability, and fit and finish. It finally caught up with them. And Honda also realized that they could sell more cars if they built their best seller in the country where it sells the most.

In the 80s Honda built with pride while Detroit focused on the almighty dollar.

...Which is why they are doing so well now, right?

http://blog.caranddr...-deep-thoughts/

-MJS

Oh and one more thing, I'm not to sure about cheeseburgers either. I remember when Ponderosa Steak House was importing their Beef from Africa! I'm going to a cook out now where I will not be drinking any foreign beer. :lol: Happy Birthday America!!!........ Now lets chute off some foreign Fireworks! ....( Before you say any thing, I know a lot of them are made in Tennesee. :lol: )

Regarding cars, the terms 'Domestic' and 'Import' are outmoded anyway. My neighbor is big into the 'Buy Amurkin' thing, and he's quite proud of his Dodge Charger... which is built in Canada by a partially Italian-owned company. Figure THAT out for me, would ya? The most reliable car I ever owned was my Mercury Tracer, which was built in the US by an American manufacturer... with a great number of Mazda Protoge parts.

It doesn't even matter where the car was built anymore... once it's here, you still need parts and materials to repair and maintain it. Nobody I know with a Japanese car orders parts from Japan, they go right to the local NAPA or Auto Zone and buy parts for it. And most of those parts are made in China, whether the car is 'domestic' or not. Still, I'm sure the parts store people or the local repair shop you frequent is grateful for your business, no matter where your car came from.

I don't even see what the fuss is about anymore.

Well i work in the aftermarket brake bussiness (25)years, and this has been a common practice for years, container loads of brakes arrive from china and india(backing plate with pad attached) they go to the factories in the USA and Canada, they get chamfered, painted and hardeware/shims attached then labelled as made in canada and or usa, and i've seen the shear test results and there not very good but because the consumer wants to save $15.00 to 20.00 per set of pads we have these products in the market, don't get me wrong all these brake companies do still manufacture there own but you pretty much have to make it clear when you purchase that you specify made in us or canada, or you'll get the cheap ones, 2 years ago we had 13 brake companies in ontario, all but 2 have been bought and moved to china and india

oh ya happy 4th of july my freinds

Edited by Big Daddy

My neighbor is big into the 'Buy Amurkin' thing, and he's quite proud of his Dodge Charger... which is built in Canada by a partially Italian-owned company. Figure THAT out for me, would ya?

That's exactly my point. A lot of people who think they're supporting Uncle Sam because they would never even consider buying a "ferrin" car are driving around in a car that's a lot less "American" than they think.

I find the notion that buying a Mexican-built car with an American label would have kept the money in the US facinating. When you buy a Camry, doesn't the money go to American workers and their family? Don't they spend their money in the US, contributing to the economy?

If supporting the US ecomony is of utmost importance, why would you want to reward the corporate suits who "maximized return to the shareholders" by killing local jobs and shipping them to Mexico? Why not support the products that actually kept Americans employed?

I'm with Fumi. Like it or not, we live in a global economy with interests that cross many borders in the building of certain cars and a zillion different products, including supposedly American grocery stores like Food Lion (Belgian-owned). In the South, here in Tennessee with VW and in South Carolina with BMW, many Americans are finding employment, as with Mercedes in Alabama, Toyota, etc., etc. I don't even have to go into how many foreign nationals are employed by US companies abroad, and I couldn't tell you the balance. But once again, it's a GLOBAL economy and anyone who can't deal with it is simply ignoring reality.

My guitars and amps are U.S, made My car [2000 Cavalier] is US made [i looked it up], My skateboards are ALL US made. My BOSE 901's are U.S. made. My H-D is U.S. made And that's about it!

Sad indeed. What's more is I would GLADLY buy something I need U.S. made but it's getting harder all the time.

Japanese cars may be made here but that's just smoke since the parent Co is over there. I'm not buying that, literally.

I have ZERO use for Japanese cars. I have owned ONE foreign car in my life and it was an Audi, second hand no less.

Happy 4th

Edited by Harry P.
Derogatory term used

I realy like the '58 Ford "long roof" Like many of you I would gladly pay more if I had to if it was all US made anything. My '05 Pontiac GTO is an Aussie Monaro, My wife's '09 Jeep Wrangler was built here. But our '10 Dodge Charger was built in Canada. Ordered in the spring of 2010 with the promise of delivery for your June vacation. The French Canadians wouldn't release it to production until the end of June. I think they wanted to be sure we got the last 2010 model built. We should of waited for the much nicer 2011 models. On quality issues I could go on and on, but one thing that got my happened in 1997 with my wife's previuos Jeep Wrangler. It was built in Ohio and was a good vehicle except for the transmision. It had always been a sloppy shifting piece of you know what and would some times hange up between gears and you never realy knew where you were with it. The final thing was on a Sunday after noon drive the lever come out of the floor in my hand. We were 25 miles from home stuck in second gear. Limped home and into the dealer on Monday. The service manager told me that it was common because Jeep had used TOYOTA transmissions in the Wrangler, which we traded for a GMC Jimmy. I think that the only reason that the "Imports" are built here is that the lobor force is much more dependable and that is why their quality is percieved as better than American cars. Now I'm going to have a glass of California "Zin" and relax on the deck and watch the fireworks. God Bless America. Happy fourth to you all.

Generations? I purchased that last year. Thousands of American made cars are listed on Craigs list each and every day. If you only want American made then buy something old and deal with the limitations. Because when you buy new you end up financing all the value away just to have a USB port for your iPod or "parking assist" simply because you didn't learn to parallel park in drivers ed.

Buying old will end up costing you way less and maybe even require a weekend or two to replace the plugs and chase down a short or two. But all in all makes way more financial sense than buying new.

Edited by Jairus