Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 Ford Mild Custom... and it's a four-door!

Chuck Most

A few nights ago, I went over to a buddy's house and left with a couple of kits. A sealed Revell '48 Ford coupe, a built-up AMT '72 Nova with a halfway decent paint job, and an AMT '56 Ford Vicky with a resin 4-door body. When my friend Darrin bought the kit, a previous owner had started to rust and weather it. At first I'd simply planned to finish it as a beater, but then I got to thinking...

3-vi.jpg

Just like real rust does to steel, the simulated weathering had weakened and compromised the resin. I chose to use the spare AMT body for patch panels.

5-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

14-vi.jpg

I wasn't happy with the quality of the cowl area, and the thickness of the roof posts. So...

15-vi.jpg

The needed area was removed from the Vicky body...

17-vi.jpg

Ford's 2-door hardtops had a slightly lower top than did the sedans. Chopped top four-door, anyone?

19-vi.jpg

Here is the top roughed in, about three scale inches lower. I have also installed the stock and custom rear treatments from the Vicky kit- big roll pan up front, and what appears to be a body-colored, Imperial-based rear bumper treatment out back.

DO NOT expect constant updates on this one, this will be a relatively slow-going project. B)

Great save on the moDoor..the top on the AMT does look like it was given a slight chop.

At least now the glass is guarantee to fit. The amount of body work is killer so far.

I got back burner builds myself..don't rush it..

James

This is a serious attack on this body. I kind of like the design concept of a chop to a four door. Think of all of the possibilities, wheels, interior, paint. Since you've added the custom pieces....keep it going. This will be very unique!

Any idea who made that Fordor body?

No idea... posted a few photos of the body as found in the resin section, only Hendrix has been suggested, but it doesn't look like a Hendrix piece. Darrin didn't know who cast it either, he only knows he bought it secondhand at a western Michigan model show from a very 'rotund' man.

• 1 month later...

84_402626326459697_764416927_n-vi.jpg

The suspension is dialed in- I modified the spindles, springs and control arms up front, and added some blocks to the back to lower the car. Keep in mind that the chassis is a bit further forward in the body than it's supposed to be in the photo! I also added the wing vent posts, but the car still needs quite a bit more bodywork.

Chuck , Somehow I missed this one the first time around . It looks great ! I really like the look of the lower roof line and the new windshield .

I almost did that with a 1:1 '59 ElCamino I had , it needed a windshield and all I could find were from 2 door hardtops !