Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frontier Resin Design

I can go only by my experience. I've been reviewing and evaluating resin kits for almost 25 years. I bought one of Frontier's '57 Chevy ambulance conversions a couple of years ago. I won't buy another.

The castings were uneven, wavy, full of some pretty major pinholes, and the door lines on mine were plain wobbly. There's far more work here to correct the problems than I want to deal with, and for the price I expected better product. What I got was something I would have returned without comment had it been sent to me for review.

I really would like a Marauder, but I'll pass on that one. If Modelhaus, Shawn Carpenter, R&MCooM, and Promolite are first tier, then the others are second tier in terms of quality. This Chevy I bought didn't come close even to that level.

Terry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I ran across this thread again and thought I'd add an update. This is the Studebaker I got from Curt at Frontier Resin. I had to use a little filler on the roof to even it out. I enlarged the windshield opening and it helped a lot. The interior tub had to be cut up and redone. The frame was scratch built from Evergreen plastic. Engine is from the AMT '53 Studebaker. The fuel tanks were scratch built as well.

For the most part, I'm happy with the results. I've purchased several kits from him and always got good service, and replacement parts when I needed them.

A link to the build pictures: https://public.fotki.com/mrglubaum/truck_projects_124_/54-studebaker-truck/

66780238_385444978994084_6555406234537689088_n.jpg

4 hours ago, 57olds88 said:

Lee you did a wonderful job. Also did you scratch build the hog trailer. If so terrific work.

The Hog Trailer is a Lindberg trailer with stake sides from an AMT Ford C-series. The round front is actually half of a sewer connector, just luck that it matches the sides so well.

hogtrailer01.jpg

hogtrailer02.jpg