Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frontier Resin Design

Hi George -

I have bought several Frontier Models. First off, they are not in the same league as Modelhaus of Promolite - you will likely have to do some minor to major reworking of components depending upon your standards and the particular kit at hand. These are NOT "shake 'n bake" models!! Having that said, I have never encountered anything that was unbuildable, and the subject matter of their kits simply cannot be found elsewhere(one of their newest offerings is a 1948 Packard Henney Hearse/Ambulance combination!!).

:) Hi George, I have purchased several of Frontier's kits including the '57 meteor 4 door hardtop and the big truck version of the '58 Chevy.The '58 is certainly doable with a bit of work and if the meteor is any indication of progress made in improving the castings, it really is pretty decent and easy to work with. No warpage and no holes and the proportioning look awfully close if not pretty much on the money. i have found the owner of frontier to be easy to get along with and I think that he has gotten a bit of a bum wrap much of the time from people who buy a resin kit and expect not to have to do any work to it. The '57 Meteor was my last purchase and it's a pretty good example of a car that I really like and never, ever imagined would be cast in resin. personally, Now if only he would cast that in a convertible and two door imitation hardtop - http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/990913/std_1957ford_fairlane_500.......jpg (sedan with stainless around the door and rear side glass window frame to make the car resemble a hardtop at first glance. I am just too glad to get stuff like that even if sometimes it is not 110% perfect and needs some work. My opinion is that we should all be grateful that there are guys willing to step out of the box and try something different. I have most certainly bought worse resin kits and products so I would not be afraid to buy from Frontier again. Just be grateful that the stuff is avaiable. I might add that my emails to frontier have always been answered and he seems willing to stand behind what he sells. AT least such has been my experience with him. :)

Thanks Gary, I appericiate any opinions for stuff i know nothing about. Resin kits don't bother me, it's how i get MOST of my off the wall stuff, But I do appericiate a reliable "heads up". I never mind "adjusting" things on resin kits, I just don't want to redesign the darn thing! I KNOW the quality of R&R kits, and I've got quite a fe of them. I also know the quality of the newer casters,MAD, and Motor City Resins, an if they're even THINKING of doin that Marauder, I'd just as soon wait for theirs. If not, we'll see, caz I SURE DO LIKE that Marauder! :lol::D:P;)

As for Frontier as said by someone else you have to take in account the cars he is casting and if you want to build it... they need clean up and minor reworking but turn out great... This was the 1938 Cadillac Hearse body made to fit on the Die cast Yatming Presidential limo... it took some work but it was fun!!!

models097-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models130-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

SupperSepshowdown10066-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 1 year later...

Looking at one of Frontier Resin Design resin off of evilbay, the body is their '57 Ford Truck Kit looks like with shipping it runs $76.50. Not real thrilled with the initial buy in but when you look at that body style Ford pickup you would be looking at that much if not a lot more. I've tried finding them off of eBay but it looks like that is their preferred sales venue.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with them and what is their overall product quality? What about fit and finish, who are they on par with in the resin realm? Are their bodies like a lot of the stuff on eBay better in pictures than in real life? I have no idea whether they are a good resin caster or just plain run away?!?

I have bought several models from Frontier, the best by far of which is the '57 Meteor 4 door hardtop kit. he offers some pretty unique stuff and I;d buy from him again. The one thing that did impress me was that emails were always answered and the man really does try to be fair. or at least he has treated me fairly which is more than I can say for a couple of other casters. I received what I bought in good time and I have no complaints. Just my opinion.