Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Slows Down Your Builds?

For a long time, it was work. Just spending too much time working. After today, that's no longer a problem. (I had my last day at work and turned in all of my stuff. I'm on payroll until the end of September, but don't work another day at the company any more).

Other issues have been fit problems that don't appear until you have paint on the parts. Need to remember that if it's a solid fit without paint, it will have problems once a few layers of paint go down.

Right now, the issue is just overall body aches and auto repairs. Got nipped in the front end of my car yesterday and fault can't be placed anywhere. My car is getting repaired, and I'm just overall sore and frustrated that this has happened to me again. Yes, the great thing is that nobody was hurt and the repairs are minimal in cost, but still, it's freaking annoying!

But I did get the Detail Master Photo-Etch set for the R/M 1953 Corvette Kit from E-Bay which arrived today, and early next week the 1953 Corvette model kit I bought will arrive. When building my 1996 Grand Sport (which sadly is finished, but final fit problems make it look pretty horrific), I had bought some of the white color for painting the stripe down the middle and that is the same color as used on the 1953 'Vette. So I have plenty of that for painting the body, red flocking for the interior, and all summer to work on this now that I'm not working. :D

first off i am new to the forum but would like to say that the thing(s) that slow me down are being still kind of an amatuer to madel building, a lack of a proper place to paint, limited selection of paints that i currently have and the nearest hobby shop to me is 30-40 minutes away depending on traffic

Edited by blueoval92

This forum and life, throw in a small dose of motivation, long hours at work, and a family that has needed me and there you have it. The good news is that things will slow down here in a month and then I can get some building done. Lately even trying to finish a snap kit with a quickie paint job has been a monumental task!

• 3 weeks later...

Right now a really good works space. I thought I could paint outside here in Mesa,but at 100-110 for days on end and the night not much better that has slowed me up. I need to enclose a portion of my carport and air condition it. The dustiness of the desert doesn't help either. I'm pretty much just idle now.

Right now a really good works space. I thought I could paint outside here in Mesa,but at 100-110 for days on end and the night not much better that has slowed me up. I need to enclose a portion of my carport and air condition it. The dustiness of the desert doesn't help either. I'm pretty much just idle now.

I have been trying to paint in the garage, but with out a proper paint both, the over spray is making a mess, and since this a rental, I cant be painting the walls or the floor :o or, my 1:1 car, well come to think of it, I dont really like the color it is :lol:

So I think I am going to start painting in the back yard once the weather cools down, in Dec :huh:

Edited by martinfan5

Shiney things. Seriously though, it would be anything that would come up and delay the flow of the build. I have projects at all different stages because something came up that would take too much time or haven't figured a good way to handle a problem that came up.

Mike

Usually it is the weather here in western PA that slows me down as far as painting goes. It's either rainy or humid or windy. I paint outside with rattle cans so I usually have to plan by the weather forecasts for a good day to paint...... and I HATE it when the forecasts are wrong...!!! Since the NNL East I've been petty productive so far. I'm just about finishing up my third model since then. I'm hoping to be able to post some pictures in Under Glass soon.

lies, all lies!!! (just joking) i look at building time as time spent at the bench, we all have trouble getting there. so c'mon now, we all know what REALLY slows our builds down, of course, another build!! yea, that's right!! breaking that kit out that you have great ideas for while your current project sites on the bench awaiting completion. the current project gets slid a little to the left, not even put in the box, and another one hits the table. then, on the way home, you see a sweet 32 hiboy with just the right stance and wheels....... when you get some building time, you sliiiiiddde the other one to the right just a bit to make room on the bench for the 32 you just happen to have. this has become habit for me, and God bless all of you who don't do this or i wouldn't have anything to look at when i go to the "under glass" section.

After having 9 strokes that slowes me down

Wow... Matthew thank the Lord you are still able to build models. I had 4 TIA's 12 years ago and thankfully was only mildly affected. My biggest issue is peripheral vision loss to the left (which is why I don't drive anymore). Other than that I continue to muddle through.