Model Cars Magazine Forum

160 Inch Wheelbase Blown Fuel FED W.I.P. - Update 8-31

As I battle my way through building a belly tank lakester, most of which is requiring extensive scratch building, I find the need to do something a bit more basic and recreational. The blown fuelers of the mid 60’s were brutally simple devices so I thought I’d do one in as basic and uncomplicated a style as I could in the hopes a creating a little side project with maximum aesthetic bang for the buck, as it were.

I’ve started with an AMT Too Much which shares it’s nearly 200 inch wheelbase chassis with the Digger ‘Cuda and the Tommy Ivo dragster. I used one of these chassis last year to build a Junior Fueler and found it to look a bit too long when running it without any front bodywork. So I thought I’d shorten the wheelbase on this one by removing two bays in its tubular frame. The result is an approximately 160 inch wheelbase, virtually identical to the Ramchargers dragster and typical of the transitional wheelbases of 1962-1965 as diggers gradually evolved to the ultra-long cars of the late 60’s into the end of the FED era around 1972. I’ve always felt that the 160-180 inch cars were the most beautifully proportioned, and often looked better without a nosepiece, the bare chassis giving them a superlight utilitarian character that’s irresistible. That’s the look I’m reaching for with this build.

To respect the simple, recreational aspect of this project I’m using as much of the kit as possible. I’ve substituted an Altered States Models “shorty” body which I’ve made shortier by removing the side panels covering the engine bay. The kit blown 426 Hemi will be used but I’ll substitute a more interesting set of injectors. Other than that it should be pretty straight forward.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

DSCF0693-web.jpg

DSCF0694-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanx again!!!

Got some work done on the motor and wheels so I thought I'd put it up. The exciting thing about this build is all the cool parts I get to use. Including the hippest injectors ever made, the Scott Super Slot, courtesy of Altered States Models. Here are a couple of quick snaps. The Dragmasters are from Early Years Resin, the wheels from the old MPC Ramchargers FED kit, stripped and finished in Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust. The motor was likewise stripped of all chrome and finshed in various metalizers. Still lots of drilling and plumbing, touching up, clearcoating and polishing to do so this is a very rough mockup.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF0712-web.jpg

DSCF0710-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Necessity is the mother of invention... I managed to lose the roll hoop shortly after painting the chassis. After fruitless hours of search I resigned myself to building a replacement.* Fortunately I had a prior build that used the same chassis so I had a pattern I could use as a guide. I never cared for the kit original because it has a half-hearted attempt at upholstery detail with little snaps, but it's not too convincing and fiddly to detail paint. If you're a Freudian you might say that I subconsciously wanted to lose it! In any case I tried making a new one from plastic but had trouble matching the curve without snapping it so, as luck would have it, I had some aluminum tubing of the right diameter I could use. The result is what you see below. I've decided that if I polish it out with Simichrome it will have a chrome-like sheen which will nicely complement the Scott Super Slot Scoop and the silver stripes in the paint. It'll get epoxied in place during final assembly because the roll hoop interferes with the installation of the seat.

Of course, this probably takes the build in a different direction than where I started from, but the paint scheme I came up with already had me going there. The "supporting cast" (non-touring) Fueler teams at the California strips ,during the sixties often has showy paint schemes and details so they would stand out at the line during staging, so this rail, without a nose piece, will land up being one of those. If you haven't figured it out already, I have a pretty improvisational approach to my builds! :P

Thanx for lookin',

B.

*No doubt now that I've committed myself to its replacement it will turn up shortly!

roll-bar-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Bill.

Nearly done and on its wheels at last. The motor is completed, although the metalizers have seen some wear and tear and will need touching up. The chassis is also done, requiring only some minor details such as the push bar, parachute pack and tie rod. Here are a couple of pictures.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF0732-web.jpg

DSCF0735-web.jpg