Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car room upgrade 5.0

Sooner or later im gonna get it how i want it. I made some extra room by cutting the dry wall out and making shelves for paint. Made some labels for my tamiya paints. Still have a few more to make.

Any other ideas to "make space" in a small area

or any Organization tip to add?

Sarting out at 730 am

F6302B4E-6384-4CC5-9BAF-7A5436A7BF1E-7765-00000CF4F384CE6C.jpg

AC4F485A-4327-4F7C-8F5F-4DDC14843057-7765-00000CF5184B8B2B.jpg

F1B73BC8-18B9-443C-A44F-A38D5AB64F7C-7765-00000CF51DDBF3F4.jpg

097A4A5A-0FE3-4642-BA80-C7D924C14305-7765-00000CF528D094BF.jpg

D1612220-EFCF-4411-BF70-F55CC9531CD3-7765-00000CF53291A1C5.jpg

Got enough paint, George? What color is the 2nd row 6 over from the right? Just kidding. More serious, it looks as if you're very well organized and using the space available. It doesn't seem to matter how large and area a person has, it always seems to fill up too fast.

Shelves and racks are your friends....

How big an area are you working with? The key is to have enough shelves and racks without creating claustrophobia.

Don't forget to leave an area for your workbench/counter, too. If you're really tight on space, make a folding one out of one of the 1" thick 2'x4' "handy panels," preferably the laminated wood as opposed to plywood, that most lumberyards sell. These are commonly used for sides of dressers, table tops, etc.

If you go that route, I would suggest finishing it with a coat of oil-based polyurethane to protect it. Before doing that, though, it would be wise to consider gluing a 1'x1-1/2' piece of cork to one side to give you a softer cutting are to help minimize damage to tools.Glue the cork on first, as glue does not hold to poly varnish.

Make the hinges using a piano hinge and two brass supports, all available in the cabinetry section at your hardware store. These are the supports I'm talking about (or similar.) http://www.furnitureknowledge.com/images/Brackets/200D-2742.jpg

I'd frame it using some 1x2, forming a 2'x4' box, with counter-sunk 2" #6 woodscrews in each horizontal member into the studs, and 2-3 screws in each vertical member. If you place this right, you should have your ends at two studs, with two more studs in-between the ends.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie Larkin

Some guys dream of owning a big new boat or an RV or classic/sports car etc but a few of us weird ones merely dream about having a bigger and better modelling space. Thanks for your ideas on maximizing the small spaces that we often have to live in to pursue our hobby.

rob

If you don't like carpentry- I do, but like the idea of a folding table, I ran across this at Ikea and at the price, I would be willing to buy one of these myself.

The "Norbo" wall-mounted folding table. And at just under two feet by just over two and a half feet, it's a nice-size work area.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713/

Charlie Larkin

Got enough paint, George? What color is the 2nd row 6 over from the right? Just kidding. More serious, it looks as if you're very well organized and using the space available. It doesn't seem to matter how large and area a person has, it always seems to fill up too fast.

I seen that one too ! Had to chuckle,......I maybe almsot 48, but I have a Beavis and Butthead mentalty. Great storage though, and man You have a ton of paint.