Model Cars Magazine Forum

33 Willys almost finished

2002p51

Just waiting for the Slixx decals to arrive in the mail.

33willys01-vi.jpg

This is, of course, the AMT "Ohio" George Montgomery 33 Willys coupe. I'm really surprised that, considering how long this kit has been around, this is the first time I ever built one. I'm also surprised at how poor the fit was on some of the parts. The front stance was too high so I cut the shackles off the front springs. The magneto was too tall and wouldn't let the hood close all the way so I had to cut that down a little. And the roll bar was too tall and prevented the body from sitting all the way down on the chassis. Fortunately those were all easy fixes.

I used the rear tires and wheels from a Revell Mazmanian Willys.

I also made a slight departure from my usual "less is more" attitude and spent a lot of time on the interior. I had some excellent reference photos and so I did a lot of paint detailing in the interior, i.e. gauges, belts, pedals, etc. With the chopped top and kit plastic "glass" in place you can't see any of it. Complete waste of time and effort. :lol:

33willys02-vi.jpg

Anyway, this is an old kit that's been laying around in my stash for years, and years, and the decal sheet doesn't look too good and that's why I ordered some from Slixx.

Comments, critique, criticism, and discussion, as usual, is highly encouraged.

I agree with Mark, the re-do of the finishes on the motor looks great. Indeed, everything about this is neither "more" nor "less", but just right when it comes to detail and finish. As for the "disappearing" interior, consider it a private moment of modeling pleasure. Should look real sharp when it gets its decals!

Looks really SWEET!!! I built the same kit almost 30 years ago and with my limited knowledge then it turned out OK. The issues you speak of are the same issues I had then, thankfully I have another one in my stash and will get to it eventually... I hope it looks as nice as this one...

Thanks guys.

I forgot to add information about the paint. My reference also included the correct paint color; 1953 Cadillac Pastoral Blue.

I looked it up on one of the aftermarket hobby paint companies and realized that, with postage, it would cost $15.00 to paint this car in the exact correct color.

Not happening.

So the paint on this model is Testors Model Master Classic White, with some Ford & GM Engine Blue mixed in a little at a time until I got a color that looked about right. It's very close and certainly good enough for a shelf model.

Looking great Drew. Your photography skills are quite good too!

Well, thanks but I have to confess, since my "photo studio" has been converted over to it's "guest room" mode in anticipation of an upcoming grandkids visit, I shot these on the kitchen table with my wife's little point n' shoot. :D

The decals arrived in yesterday's mail and it was a simple to job to get this thing done.

willys05-vi.jpg

I'm glad I waited because these decals were so much better than the kit decals it was worth it.

Of course, the fit of the body and hood was near perfect in mock-up, but not so much after final assembly. Story of my life. :lol:

• 11 months later...