Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Thunderbird "QuickBuild"

TimKustom

I get pretty jealous of the guys that can crank out awesome models in such a short period of time. Often it can take me weeks even months just to "concept" out a build. I really wasn't in the mood to "Donk" this weekend so I came up with new challenge for myself:

Build a cool, well built model in as little time as possible. The 1971 T-Bird kit was one of my grails for LONG time and thanks to Model King, I finally have my grubby hands on it and don't have to worry about super detailing it as it's sort of a curbside kit anyway.

IMG_3664-vi.jpg

I didn't like how the lower bumper was molded to the chassis plate, so it needed to be cut off and molded to the body.

IMG_3668-vi.jpg

Same thing with the rear valance pan (the rear bumper "tabs" had to be glued to the posts to make sure the chassis still fit where it should):

IMG_3671-vi.jpg

Next these blocks had to be removed to allow it to "sit in the weeds"

IMG_3675-vi.jpg

After adding a rod for a "quick" front axle, the wheels and tires from the Revell custom 58 Corvette fit just right...

IMG_3677-vi.jpg

After a bit of sanding to smooth the front bumper lines and remove some emblems and side markers a quick shot of primer revealed a bit more sanding to do, but it's got the look I'm going for. Not bad for only 2 hours...

IMG_3689-vi.jpg

After a bit more smoothing, I should be ready for some paint, thinking about experimenting with some strange Alclad finsh.

Please Model Car Gods: do not make me have to scratchbuild a custom V12 SOHC motor for this...

Stay tuned,

Tim Kolankiewicz

That does have the right stance. Great project. Some times those quick builds are just what I need to keep me going. Here is an idea I already saw someone do on a model some where else. Some one did a Cobra in metalizer paint and only buffed the stripes on. Here is a pic of a 1:1 metal Cobra with that idea applied.

100_1712.jpg

Keep us posted! B)

Thanks for all the comments folks!

Just a small update. I have stayed true to the KISS method for this build. I've gotten it painted/cleared and I'm really impressed. After smoothing over the primer, it got shot with Testors flat black. Once that was set up a bit, I airbrused on 2 coats of Alclad "Jet Exhaust." It turned out to be a blackish/brownish color with a weird gold/purple pearl to it. The Alclad crazed just a touch, but it really isn't evident after I got the clear on. It's drying now so no pics yet. I wanna get it polished out and foiled first...Which I hope to do on my upcoming "recovery" mission.

The interior is painted with a butterish tannish color. Considering adding another "bold" color to spice it up, still thinking on that...

As it stands (painted) I've only got 4 and half hours in it, which was the total point of this build.

As it stands (painted) I've only got 4 and half hours in it, which was the total point of this build.

4 1/2 ain't bad... Takes me that long to sand seams! B)

Sounds like a pretty wild color combo... I've seen Jet exhaust used before and its a pretty neat body color.

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, despite picking up crazy RV's from far away places and trying to fix the crazy RV's sitting in the yard, can you believe I've found time to work on a model?

So finally the paint dried, and I had time to polish it out, and got the interior painted. Next up is foil, a bit more interior detailing, an easy final assembly and it's going on the shelf. I think I'm at only about 8hrs in it so far (over a month of elapsed time though.)

Pretty pleased with it so far with it. The interior is Testors light ivory and dark red (the red is darker than the pic make it). I had the flocking leftover from the "PT Duo" project several years ago, so I used that.

Gotta credit the wife for adding the red to the interior. She clipped a page out of a Crate & Barrel catalog that had a stack of towels in the same colors. When the interior was just the light ivory, it didn't really "pop" the red added a bit more personality.

Hopefully will put the wraps on this before the weekend. Got one of the new Revell Mercs, might have to build that!

IMG_4085-vi.jpg

IMG_4090-vi.jpg

Hope y'all like!

TK