Model Cars Magazine Forum

To Infiniti, and beyond....

Chuck Most

I also have an Infiniti J30t by Aoshima. It's a Japan market kit also. It had PE Infiniti logos which I got the kit for. It's a pretty good looking car for a pre-G35 Infiniti! I've been tempted to patch the back end to a '49 Merc!

j30tboxDSC_0941.jpg

What you need to do then is find the kit your showing a picture of, it's part of the Aoshima "New Trend USA" series which were sold here in the U.S., and had several of their JDM cars that were also sold here in 1:1 form equipped with LHD and "American" logos...you'll notice that picture it has Infiniti markings and the steering wheel on our side. I know there was a US version of the Prelude and Lexus LS400 (which is the one that AMT reboxed) as well.

Edited by niteowl7710

Sorry James if I misled you .. I DO have the J30t kit. I bought it just for the Infiniti logos on a whim and hit the jackpot. It has both PE and decals with the 4 wheel logos and the front and back ones. I'm using all the PE ones outside and have the decals to do the steering wheel and seats that only the 6MT (manual) had. :)

Now back the Chuckie's paint job ... I AM surprised at the racing paint! But, it WILL look good, and unusual. on a Q! :)

• 2 years later...

ping ... this has been in the works almost as long as my G35! ... was searching something and came back on this thread ... but, now Chuck is doing truck articles for MCM so a grant him time's short ... and articles have been wonderful. :)

• 6 months later...

*Blows dust off thread*

*Taps on the thread a couple of times*

*Jiggles the switch*

*Thread lets out a barely audible hum*

IT STILL WORKS!

Yes, the Q45 has been seeing some action for the first time in about three years, over the course of the last couple of weeks. And the reason why it's been seeing action is because I have a second Infiniti project, and working on that one kind of got me inspired to dig out the Q and get some work done.

This is Aoshima's "New Trend USA" release of the J30, which was pictured earlier on in this thread. As with the Q, there's no way I'm building it stock- the Hoppin' Hydros large-diameter wire wheels may or may not end up being what I use on it, but I am leaning in that direction. Paint is Testors One Coat Star Spangled Blue. Other than the removal of mold lines and shaved (or rather, filled) door handles, the body as you see it is pretty much the way it comes out of the kit. I'm hoping this will be a relatively quick and easy means of stash removal, but I had a similar plan in mind with the Q, and here it has sat, unfinished for three-plus years, so...

In the background you can see the Q, which is finally wearing a coat of paint. Again, I went with something from the Testors One Coat line- White Lightning this time. I'm thinking I can do a BRE style paint scheme using that as a base, along with Revving Red and some more Star Spangled Blue. Again, I suppose we'll see. 

Maybe the next update on this won't be three years away...

Work returns to the Q.

The interior is more or less dialed in. Still a bit of detail painting and touch ups to do, but this is pretty much what the final product will be. The steering wheel and front seats came from an Aoshima parts pack. So did the gauge panel graphic, as I managed to misplace the Q's original decal sheet. The shifter stalk is a turned aluminum piece by Sakatsu. 

Just had to see how the whole mess would look inside the car...

And then, there's this...

Maisto's 2005 FX45. This one will likely be left alone for the most part, though I may add a receiver hitch to have it tow an old Datsun race car.

Where the Q ship stands as of tonight...

Spare decals from a Revell Datsun 510 have been applied, trim around the windows has been foiled (have yet to black out the pillars), and the mirrors are on.

Taillight panel has been detail painted. For some reason it reminds me of the back end of a '92-'99 Olds Delta 88.

I'm going to try for a better, straight edge on the window borders, but the rear view mirror and wiper are installed. I also tinted the rear side windows and backlight. 

The  Q now has an oil cooler, front plate, and a chip on the corner of the bumper, which I think I just might keep.

002_zpsd3l8zwyw.jpg

The J is cleared, and the side window trim has been foiled. Next up will be painting the windshield and backlight trim, door pillars, and windshield/backlight borders.

Edited by Chuck Most

• 1 month later...