Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I got this in from Grainger through work. It's a Dayton blower (1TDR3 in Graingers catalog) for the new paint booth I'm building. I'm finally going to take advantage of the fact that I work in a machine shop and build the booth I've always wanted. I've had one made of 3/4" MDF since 2004 because that's what I had to work with at the time. The new one will be all metal and I'm going with a multi-stage carbon filtration set up that will eliminate the need for venting outside.

If all goes well, I'm debating the idea of putting out my own line of booths that are more in reach for modelers. As it stands now you can't get into a downdraft, carbon filter booth for less than $800-900 unless you build your own.

1TDR3_AS01.jpg

A bottle of liquid mask (figured I would try it out), a can of Ford Calypso Metallic Laquer from Testors, the Hemi-Sphere rail kit, MCMs newest issue, a 2008 Bullitt Mustang kit, a 2007 Mustang GT500 kit, some Spaz-sticks acrylic clear, the newest 5.0 and Super Fords mag, and some Pegasus 23" wheels (the "T"s and Holli's). Now, if we count online ordering.......I will tell you when I have the products in hand (I can't remember all of them, but they were all custom wheels). Also, forgot about the .025" and .030" styrene rod, bad memory until I opened the bag of gooies up!

Edited by whale392

1/16 Minicraft 300 SL Gullwing, one of various versions that I have. Lacks oil tank, water tank, chrome trunk insignia (comes as a grey decal), windshield washer reservoir and exhaust manifold heat shield, but I can swipe those from my Italeri 300 SL cabriolets. Will require a certain amount of scratchbuilding for authenticity.

What I really need is a set of 4 hydraulic door lifts, which are essentially working 2-part shock absorbers with inner and outer cylinders, without coils, probably 1/24. Any ideas where to get these?

What I really need is a set of 4 hydraulic door lifts, which are essentially working 2-part shock absorbers with inner and outer cylinders, without coils, probably 1/24. Any ideas where to get these?

Skip, you could make the door lifts from aluminum or plastic tubing very easily. All you need is one the size of the outer tube for the lift and the second the size smaller so it slides in the outer tube. If you do it right, the second inner tube should fit tightly enough that friction will hold the door open, but still be loose enough to close the door without damaging the door or lift cylinder. I have used this for tow truck booms with great results.

Skip, you could make the door lifts from aluminum or plastic tubing very easily. All you need is one the size of the outer tube for the lift and the second the size smaller so it slides in the outer tube. If you do it right, the second inner tube should fit tightly enough that friction will hold the door open, but still be loose enough to close the door without damaging the door or lift cylinder. I have used this for tow truck booms with great results.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm pretty much convinced that tubing and teeny cotter pins are the way to go, but I didn't want to mess with the circular mounts. This looks like something that needs to be done in metal for durability, but though I have a soldering kit, I have zero skills with that and I was looking for a simpler way of dealing with it.

Not model related, but I picked up a new toy for my truck today. It's in like new condition minus a few scuffs, which is ok cuz I'm gonna be sanding it down and repainting it anyway. All glass is intact and I only paid $50 for it.

AK000038.jpg

Edited by grimreaper

Nice score on the truck, i would have bought it for alot more if i lived in the states, hopefully i will one day.

Nothing in the post for me today ;)

There was no postman down out street saturday or today, its a culdesac so they can't really miss it or get lost down it.

I phoned the mail service and they said this can happen every so often but when it does there is a high chance most, if not all the stuff your waiting for will come the next day......lets see shall we.

Nice score on the truck, i would have bought it for alot more if i lived in the states, hopefully i will one day.

Nothing in the post for me today ;)

There was no postman down out street saturday or today, its a culdesac so they can't really miss it or get lost down it.

I phoned the mail service and they said this can happen every so often but when it does there is a high chance most, if not all the stuff your waiting for will come the next day......lets see shall we.

I got the topper for the truck today. I got the truck back in November for $850.

Oh right, i thought you paid $50 for the whole truck haha

$850 is still good for what looks like a pretty big truck.

$850 was a REAL GOOD deal, bluebook on it at the time was around $2600. I got a 1990 Chevy Beretta a few years ago for $20. It had a few electrical problems but ALWAYS started and got me back and forth to work. I sold it for $250.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...