Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back In The Fold After 34 Years

rockermikey

Hi everyone. I used to build build models as a young teen and hadn't built any in almost 34 years. My wife told me to get a hobby so being she wouldn't let me have real models, I went back to the plastic cars and trucks. Here are some pictures of my first. My 1969 Plymouth GTX and my 1964 Impala SS 409. They are far from perfect but over time I shall get back into shape....any feedback will be greatly appreciated....thanks!

post-10505-0-82749800-1356066356_thumb.j

post-10505-0-34839600-1356066379_thumb.j

post-10505-0-98534800-1356066403_thumb.j

post-10505-0-22996000-1356066445_thumb.j

post-10505-0-59722900-1356066472_thumb.j

Mike, welcome back.

You asked for feedback so here it is. Clean up every part. Sprue tabs, mold lines, excess flash. Get some sanding sticks at your local beauty supply store (nail care aisle) to help with this. If you want more info on the basics of modeling click the "Walk then Run" down in my signature bar below. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

A great start back with modelling! There's been plenty of change over that time but there's no substitute for actually getting a kit built. Kel PS - love the Geddy Lee avatar - can't wait to see them back in London next year.
Saw them in Seattle in November.....you will be amazed!

Mike, welcome back.

You asked for feedback so here it is. Clean up every part. Sprue tabs, mold lines, excess flash. Get some sanding sticks at your local beauty supply store (nail care aisle) to help with this. If you want more info on the basics of modeling click the "Walk then Run" down in my signature bar below. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome back! Modeling is a great hobby. Nice choice for the first builds, they turned out well.

And i just read the "Walk, don't run" post also. I too fell victim to this and drove myself crazy because things didn't turn out "Perfect"

My catch phrase is this though "Some days you just gotta glue the tires on, who cares if it doesn't roll"

Can't wait to see more of your builds..

"Welcome back" from another re-newbie. Looks like the fingers still remember what to do. No criticism warranted, regardless of your status.

As for feedback; one word: BMF. O.K., technically it's three words: Bare Metal Foil :D . Much more convincing than brush painting chrome trim.

Also, try misting your painting area (not the model) with water just before spraying. This gets most of the airborne dust and lint to settle so it doesn't end up in your paint.

And, once again, welcome back to the hobby.