Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Studebaker

Harold

Well, I finally got a new computer (flat screen and all) to replace the old steam-powered relic that died back in June ("hey Maw, fire up the boiler- I gotta get some photos done"). All summer I've been dragging out some of my stalled projects and finishing (!) them...what a concept. This is one I started two years ago. It's the AMT Stude done up as a custom (I love the custom bits for this car- they almost look as though they could have come out of Loewy's South Bend studio as restyling ideas). After molding in the front pan and lower grill divider, I molded in the stock headlight bezels and nosed, decked and shaved the body. That's it. The color is Dupli-Color FM320 Crystal Blue with about five coats of clear. I made a hood hinge from brass. The engine is the Stude with the intake, carbs and air cleaner from the '56 Ford, and the wiring is Radio Shack white wire wrapping dyed with RIT dye. The wheels are the fronts from two Phantom Vicks, and the tires are Monogram Eagles. The interior sports the custom front and rear seats from the AMT '57 Ford (90's reissue) and a scratchbuilt console. The exhaust is from a Revell '69 Dart with exhaust manifolds from the AMT '69 Cuda, Finally, the pipes are aluminum tubing with a 45 degree cut.

Picture043.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Beautiful Stude Harold! I LOOOOVE Studebakers! Especially the 1956-'61 finned Hawks and original Avantis! You can't go wrong with a subtlely customized Stude, and yours is right on the mark.

Believe it or not I lived for 9 years above what used to be a Studebaker dealer and garage! The guy who owned the place in the last few years I lived there, still had some Stude's parked in the garage. IIRC, a couple Larks, 1961 and '62 Hawks------just sitting there collecting dust. B)

I'll bet they're still there rotting away doing nothing. :o

Harold that old Stude looks great, I never built one myself , but I enjoy seeing them done.

Nice project. I grew up with Studebakers. My dad had three trucks including a 1962 Omaha Orange 1/2 ton with sliding rear window. I had a '56 President followed by a '59. '61 and '63 Lark. At the age of 63 I still want a Hawk.