Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for AMT / Round @ to get going ?

Actually, it's the Phaeton kit interior that is closest to the interior in the 1975 Street Rod Series release.  I've never built this kit (my example is still in the clear bag inside the box), so I can't say if it is exactly the same as the Phaeton kit piece.  The Vicky interior is too short (lengthwise) to fit the Tudor body.  TIM

Ah, that makes more sense. It looks like the body shell-specific and "glass" may be the only parts differences between the '32 Sedan and Phaeton in the Street Rod Series kits. Even the box art is near-identical:

AMT32FordPhaetonSRS3.jpg

38d36d45-7d9c-4702-abf6-90880ff61141.jpg

Now I'm more curious how the Sedan body-specific parts were produced either along with, or separate from the Phaeton parts. If the Sedan body shell was produced with the balance of the Custom (from the double kit) Sedan parts, then later with the Phaeton parts, does that mean the body specific parts are able to be produced independently?

Edited by Casey

Craig,,,,,there were at least four colors, including the ones you listed.  I don't recall at the moment what the added fourth color was...may have been white (or black) but I cannot state from memory for sure....

The '32 Custom Tudor was never issued as a stand-alone kit.  However, the body itself was combined with the '32 Phaeton/Vicky tool parts for a one-time only 1975 "Street Rod Series" kit....but other than the body, no other parts from the original '32 Custom version of the '32/'40 Willys kit carried over...

Hope that helps....TIM

Yeah, the issue I was thinking was the custom sedan alone was the 2nd issue of the double kit, the one with no print on the boxtop, just the great picture of the Willys and 32. My bad

Yeah, the issue I was thinking was the custom sedan alone was the 2nd issue of the double kit, the one with no print on the boxtop, just the great picture of the Willys and 32. My bad

:wub:

2x32sedan1.jpg

What's really interesting to me is the clear parts for both kit are all molded together:

2x32sedan3.jpg

Might have to dig up pics of the more recent reissues of the '40 Willys to see what that sprue/runner looks like now...

:wub:

2x32sedan1.jpg

What's really interesting to me is the clear parts for both kit are all molded together:

2x32sedan3.jpg

Might have to dig up pics of the more recent reissues of the '40 Willys to see what that sprue/runner looks like now...

The Willys clear parts were retooled at some point (not sure when; maybe when the pickup version was added?).  The retooled parts aren't as crisp as the originals.  The headlamps are the only real issue, as the 1:1 windows were flat glass, and you can make ones that are better than the molded parts anyway.

Some of the Gasser series Willys kits include the '32 sedan also.  If you have the Gasser series Willys box, you'll notice that it makes no reference to anything but the Willys coupe.  My kit is a later one (with the Willys coupe/pickup) but I have seen them with the Willys coupe/'32 Ford combo inside.  

The Willys clear parts were retooled at some point (not sure when; maybe when the pickup version was added?).

I was just looking at the later 40 Willys Coupe/Pickup kits, and it does appear the sedan's clear parts were replaced by the pickup's rear window piece. The below is from the "Mean Machine" Street Rod Series:

304152ab-4e83-49ba-a93b-95167cf6fde5.jpg

I was just looking at the later 40 Willys Coupe/Pickup kits, and it does appear the sedan's clear parts were replaced by the pickup's rear window piece. The below is from the "Mean Machine" Street Rod Series:

304152ab-4e83-49ba-a93b-95167cf6fde5.jpg

The more recent Willys kits have a completely different clear parts tree, without the '32's headlight lenses.  The Willys headlight lenses are crude compared to the originals, and as I recall the coupe's oval rear window piece isn't even symmetrical.

It's a new Tudor only tub. The fenders are the same as the Phaeton and the Vicky, as is most of the kit. IIRC it only has front buckets. Mine is in progress with a bunch of other 32's but I've messed with it enough I'm pretty sure. Bought it new. 

The chrome tree is nearly identical, but the wsf is boxier than the Vic too. You can see it in Casey's photo of chrome tree. 

WSF -Windshield frame.

The one-shot stock sedan used the phaeton interior tub.  The rear door panel detail was wiped off for the sedan, and is not present on all issues of the phaeton since then.

The tooling for the bucket was likely tweaked a bit to make the tub fit into the sedan body.  Ertl probably had to undo some of that work to make it fit the phaeton body again.  That would explain to an extent why there was a long break between the sedan and the next phaeton issue, also why the sedan hasn't appeared again since.

Took 'em awhile to see the profit in reissuing their venerable '29 roadster against Revells.

Wonder when the'll wake up and see the potential in reissuing the Sedan?

they are fully awake and very attuned to what needs to be done. It's all a matter of what is viable from the bits and pieces of ancient tooling, against the balance of keeping the operation viable and the available project management resources and capital to invest. 

Why this insistence to continue confusing us with the "WSF" ?

Because it's been explained twice in this thread, and I've seen it used as written abbreviation in the prewar hobby for 40 years.

Sorry it's so hard for you. Nobody else seems confused and irate. Have you tried decaf?

Edited by keyser