Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished 10/20/07 Peterbilt 357 Triaxle Dump Truck

9-30-07

Well Guys....

Pictures of the completed cab and chassis as promised. Put the front bumper on at 1:30 this morning. Just a few more little things..like additional plumbing under the hood..Yes the hood does tilt..open fully..CB antenna's for the mirrors..and then to the dump body..which goes back to the work table next week...

I estimate another 2-4 weeks for the completed truck..Enjoy !!

She's been going together pretty easily now..Check out the rear window (CAT Window Tint) decal....

Any and all comments welcomed. Thank you,

Kurt McLucas

DSCN4895.jpg

DSCN4890.jpg

DSCN4907.jpg

DSCN4906.jpg

DSCN4909.jpg

DSCN4912.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Looks as if you spent a not so small fortune on after market items on this model. Did you strip the kit fuel and hydraulic tanks, sand the seams and spray them with Alclad? Was the rear cab panel the KFS aftermarket part? Looks like the Clint Freeman air breather kit. Excellent paint. Nice choices and execution.

Dear chuckyr,

The fuel tanks and the hydraulic tank are all scratch built, taking the orginal tanks, shorten them, filling/sanding the seams..then airbrushing them with Alclad II (polished aluminum) then adding the appropriate decals. The tank steps are from the Pete Can-Do wrecker...and yes, I have a small fortune in it...long story. The air cleaners are solid turned aluminum from Jamie@ Mo'Luminum..along with the tires..the rear cab panel was one of many custom scratch built parts..Dupont ChromaBase paint for the two tone.

Hopefully the dump body will be done here shortly..and all will come together nicely.

This was my second build in about a year and a half.

Thank you to all so far for the positive comments and feedback.

Kurt McLucas

Johnny,

I used Alclad II on everything....

By stripping all of the factory chrome, I can debur everything, fill and sand in all the seams..etc. It is not that hard to use. Just a "little" expensive..the look, if done correctly..is fantastic. It is air-brushed on.

Polished Aluminum on the tanks/hydraulic tank/tool box/battery box/wheels (rims) and the soon to be dump body.

Chrome on the Grille/headlight assembly/bumper/bumper poles/mirrors/sun-visor/bullet lights/engine fan

Solid metal on the airhorns and the air breathers..

I hate to paint..Alclad makes it fun for me..you really see the results up front and fast.

Thank you to all once again for the great comments and feedback...Happy modeling to all.

Kurt McLucas

Guys...

I wanted to post a few pictures here of the finished Caterpillar 3406E engine..that was also talked about in another thread here...Just added the oil..and she fired up..first try. I just finished plumbing the the air intake(s) from the engine to the radiator..just need to put some "clamps" on them. It is real aluminum tubing..polished up..real fun to bend..I think they turned out alright...

Also are some pictures of the 19 1/2' Ti-Brook Dump bed..in the process of getting the Alclad II polished aluminum finish coat...

Thank you, Kurt McLucas

DSCN4937.jpg

DSCN4935.jpg

DSCN4936.jpg

DSCN4931.jpg

DSCN4938.jpg

Next update...The darn thing will be finished..so the wife wishes.....

Finally.....

The much anticipated moment is here...

Other than 1 more bumper antenna to attach...I can call it finished. Thank you to everyone who posted all the great comments and feedback throughout the build. She has had her challenges/major set-backs/ etc...not 100% perfect..but I think it turned out A-OK. The wife and kids love having the bottom half of the dining room table back...

Starting to lineup the next project to be started in Feb 08....Happy modeling to all

Kurt McLucas

DSCN4957a.jpg

DSCN4959a.jpg

DSCN4963a.jpg

DSCN4964a.jpg

DSCN4966a.jpg

DSCN4967a.jpg

DSCN4969a.jpg

DSCN4971a.jpg

DSCN4973a.jpg