Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone remember this?

Back in the late 60's early 70's Revell had a model of the month club. You had a initial jioning fee, got a free kit of your choice from a group of about a half dozen diffrent kits. Then every month they sent a kit out of their choice for a minimal cost, plus each month with the kit a newsletter thing came with it, with a story about this kid who built the model, and his friends who built theirs, some built them better than others, they put the models into something called a reduction gizmo, or something ike that, then the moral of the story story was about how you should take your time and build better models. Any one else remember this, or am I just imagining it?

No it's not your imagination. I belonged to the Club also. I still have some of the newsletters somewhere around here, I think. It was one way to get you to branch out into different modeling subjects. I also remember you got a neat patch, and certificate,for joining.

My mother had me signed up for something like that in the late 80's. It lasted a few moths asI wasn't crazy about building planes, I just wanted cars. I remember the first model I recieved was a Fiero GT. I also remember Golden Wheels and Golden Opportunity kits. AMT had something too as I remember saving upc's in the mid 90's for a free kit.

My mother had me signed up for something like that in the late 80's. It lasted a few moths asI wasn't crazy about building planes, I just wanted cars. I remember the first model I recieved was a Fiero GT. I also remember Golden Wheels and Golden Opportunity kits. AMT had something too as I remember saving upc's in the mid 90's for a free kit.

Yeah, in the early-mid 90's AMT ran a promotion where if you sent in 6 UPC bar codes you could get a free kit. I think there were like 8 kits to choose from. I got at least 4 69 Plymouth GTX's that way, most of those were used as parts donors for other Mopar kits.

http://www.ironmodeler.com/2011/01/revell-master-modelers-club.html

My mother had me signed up for something like that in the late 80's. It lasted a few moths asI wasn't crazy about building planes, I just wanted cars. I remember the first model I recieved was a Fiero GT.

Monogram had the Young Model Builders Club, and IIRC they sent a Snap-Tite model once a month or so. I have some literature from a re-boxed Aurora 1/32 '65 Mustang kit which was one of the monthly kits, so I'll take some pics. Here are a few kits in one listing on eBay, but it shows the box the models were shipped in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/young-model-builders-club-sets-lot-model-kits-cars-military-airplanes-2-sets-/160992893250?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item257bec9942

I remember seeing it advertised as a kid, but I wanted all car kits and the clubs seemed to mix it up between cars, military, space and other models so I never signed up,

I do have a couple of the Revell kits from a club like that. They were full glue kits but came in a flatter heavier mailer type box. I have two cars from the custom series with Corvair engines like the Patent Pending and the T-Bone. I bought them unbuilt at shows in the last 20 years.

I was in the Revell club twicw, and even in the Aurora club too.

Til I got a Knight that my mom returned. I never received another from them after that.

I know that is how I got my Aurora XKE kit.

I also got the Skycrane Helicopter from Both Aurora & Revell!!

Almost Identical in size, but different parts layout

Got 2 of the Tucumcari Hydrofoil & Growler Sub from the Rev clubs.

Almost joined the Monogram one for the Malibu Police car that was first offer

on the entry form.

If I had know then that the ex-Aurora 1/32's were included in that series, I Would have joined!

Still have some of the Mailer boxes from Both Rev, & Aurora

I actually was a member of the club. My Uncle bought my first Model for me at about the age of 6 & it was the Fiat Drag Car with the opening doors & what was really cool is that my Mother helped me build it and on my birthday later that year my Mother got me the Model of the month subscription.

I'll never forget that my Mother did that for me God rest Her Sole.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, my aunt enrolled me in Auroras model of the month club, I remember a WW II ship and WW II airplane and an action figure I'd guess was about 1/8 scale.

Don't remember any car models though-and that was all I wanted to build back then.

Mini Lindys were my favorites back then-It would be great if the new Lindberg owners brought those back.

No it's not your imagination. I belonged to the Club also. I still have some of the newsletters somewhere around here, I think. It was one way to get you to branch out into different modeling subjects. I also remember you got a neat patch, and certificate,for joining.

If you ever dig up those newsletters, I would love to see some scans of them. I loved reading those stories. Reading is the only hobby I have I would say I like better than model building, and it's a very close second. I only have 934 books on my Kindle!

I belonged to the Revell "Master Modelers Club", or something like that, in the early '70s.

You got a kit, plastic "tools", jacket patch, etc. for the initial sign-up fee.

I can't recall if you got the actual kit or just an anouncement of the next selection, and you either accepted and payed or refused it. I also don't recall the frequency the kits were offered.

I do remember the newsletter, maybe quarterly, that featured building tips, new releases, adventure-type stories and photos of members builds and drawings they submitted.

In most of those stories the Revell characters' arch rival was Monty Graham (Monogram).

How ironic when those two companies merged!

I belonged to the Revell "Master Modelers Club", or something like that, in the early '70s.

You got a kit, plastic "tools", jacket patch, etc. for the initial sign-up fee.

I can't recall if you got the actual kit or just an anouncement of the next selection, and you either accepted and payed or refused it. I also don't recall the frequency the kits were offered.

I do remember the newsletter, maybe quarterly, that featured building tips, new releases, adventure-type stories and photos of members builds and drawings they submitted.

In most of those stories the Revell characters' arch rival was Monty Graham (Monogram).

How ironic when those two companies merged!

I think that is the one I remember signing up for.

I joined the Revell and Monogram clubs when I was a kid. It sucked that you could not choose what you wanted for kits and I quit after I kept getting stuff I did not want or like. I joined up with AMT when they had the Blueprinter deal. I liked the exclusives they did and It would be cool to have something like that again!

I remember the mpc golden wheels program when you got enough wheels you got a free kit. l have one of those in my stash. l also sent in upc codes and got a couple of amt kits in the mid 90's..

And how many of us own kits today with the wheel cut off the box top by someone else? :)

Monogram also had a deal where you sent in the the title page of a instruction sheet, and they would send you a free kit.

I want to say that was in the '84-'86 time period, as I recall cutting the header off the Billy Meyer 7-Eleven Mustang F/C instruction sheet for that very purpose.

I remember the mpc golden wheels program when you got enough wheels you got a free kit. l have one of those in my stash. l also sent in upc codes and got a couple of amt kits in the mid 90's..

It doesn't look like the Canadians got to play the Golden Wheels game!

26CD9D0C-98D0-462A-B6DC-9C5BE1A36F47-419