Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Falcon Pro Mod NOT MUCH LEFT TO DO NOW! 6/19/14

am73grand

I'm entering the home stretch with this one. I need injector lines and hat, fuel lines and pump, hood, and chute lines. Paint is Tamiya Mica Red with Testors "Wet Look" clear.

f48-vi.jpg

I made the Optima style batteries from scratch.

f50-vi.jpg

I just noticed I forgot the blower blanket. It's gonna be a pain to put it on with the hold down straps in place but I'll get it on.

f51-vi.jpg

Doors don't fit as well as I'd like but I learned valuable lessons for next time. I look at each build as a learning experience. Hopefully each is better than the last.

Thanks for looking!

Hey Ron great job thus far. Paint looks crystal clear. Im just wondering about the tunnel ram and blower. Im pretty sure you cant use one with the other(but ive been wrong before). A tunnel ram is used with carbs and a blower has a whole different type of manifold. Im not tryin to count rivets here but. Youve done alot not to get that detail correct. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Romell R

There were raised runner intake manifolds for superchargers on some engines like Ford Bigblocks and other not so run of the mill Ford,Chevy ,Dodge engines. Its just that most use the flatter style manifolds we are used to seeing.

Hey Ron great job thus far. Paint looks crystal clear. Im just wondering about the tunnel ram and blower. Im pretty sure you cant use one with the other(but ive been wrong before). A tunnel ram is used with carbs and a blower has a whole different type of manifold. Im not tryin to count rivets here but. Youve done alot not to get that detail correct. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the information. I based my intake off this engine. (I borrowed the pic from Tyrone's photobucket Album)

mir-pro-mod-drag-racing-photos145.jpg

My intake does not match perfectly but it is pretty close. As I'm sure you know it is almost impossible to find consistent reference for these cars. Each one is built a little different and no two are alike. I literally try and make my cars look "Over the Top" The intake is almost always a little taller so I can get as much of the blower as possible sticking up out of the hood. Just a preference I have. Thanks for your comment!

Hey folks: I've recently made Ron's acquaintence as he helped he locate a windshield for my first attempt at an over the edge build, a McEwen '57 Chevy from Revell (not the re-release, the original f/c) which I grafted a Kobelco blower & pro mod hat among a zillion other little mods (mostly incorrectly). The windshield was broken and although I found a replacement from the original dealer eventually, Ron followed through and sent me brand new glass.

As we chatted, he let me in on his method of crafting pro mods for many different bodies such as this example. He's been a great resource of info on using Revell chassis for foundations and has linked me to his photo albums and this particular link, which I will no doubt use my spare Soff Seal chassis to attempt a home roll cage, as well as mods to select and utilize my own choice of body for a top sportsman build.

I want to add my thanks for this awesome thread and mention a few things which were incorrect: a comment was made about the Lenco tranny being incorrectly attached to the engine used - this is impossible since I've built the Shoebox engine and the Lenco is oriented as is because it's molded to the rear of the block and the bottom of the engine/oil pan. In addition, the location of the distributor is not a mistake on Ron's fault; Revell used GM blocks for the Shoebox kit, hence the rear location. On the Glidden pro stock kits, the distributor is in the correct location because the engine is a Boss big block Ford.

Just wanted to make sure people know someone of Ron's talent wouldn't make mistakes like these go by! Great job and plenty of learning to do for me!!!

Thanks for the comments everyone! I HAVE made some mistakes on this build and I've learned a lot. Hopefully the next build will be better.

I am ALMOST done with this one. I am waiting for some photo-etched linkage so I can hook the injector hat to the barrel valve and throttle cable. I got a new cell phone and I'm still getting used to it, so please don't mind the quality of the pics:

4HplnxeSr0O5hbg-vi.jpg

uro3bIehd_kH__H-vi.jpg

kFehRfWndWh_mKKkC_na_HmayadWjG-vi.jpg

WqOb9p28W7SkWtIMndC4oYU2twSjog-vi.jpg

I work with a company that does photo-etch in my job. I am hoping to have a large frett of etch done that will have emblems for this car and many others in my collection. Thanks for looking!!!!