Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Station Wagon

Ramfins59

This project for another close High School friend has been on my back burner for awhile. My friend Doug, who now lives in Duluth, MN, asked me to build a model of his first car, which was a '57 Ford Station wagon. Unfortunately he remembers little to no details about the car other than that it was black...(He's NOT a car guy, but I still can't believe that anyone would NOT remember everything about their FIRST car.!!) Our other friend Mike (who I built the '65 Rambler model for) remembers a bit more about the wagon because he drove with Doug in it to Illinois to go to college waaaay back in 1965.

I found a Johnny Lightning '57 Ford Sedan Delivery diecast that I'm using to make the wagon. Thanks to some helpful advice and some Dremel attachments that Manny Solano (JerseyJunker) sent to me, today, while the clearcoat on my '58 Caddy was drying, I cut out the sides and rear window posts on the sedan delivery body. It only took me about an hour to do it and it went surprisingly easily and quickly. And I only used ONE cut off wheel and didn't break it..!! I guess I did it right and let the wheel do the work without applying too much force.

Here's the body before the cuts...

1957FORDWAGONSTARTINGPOINT11024x752_zps8

Here it is after the cuts...

57FORDWAGONSIDESCUTOUT21024x750_zpsfb55a

57FORDWAGONSIDESCUTOUT11024x745_zps2ab6d

57FORDWAGONREAR5WINDOWPOSTSCUTOUT1024x62

I previously started to do some little detailing on this model as the diecast came with pretty much none. I painted the wheels black and the dog dish caps aluminum, as Mike remembered it to be...

WAGONMODELWHEELSPAINTED_zpsd8e27e21.jpg

The interior was plain and dark as their memories said, so I painted it black and gray. I still have to come up with seats because the model came with buckets and the real one had bench seats, front & rear..

I'm thinking of stealing the seats from a '57 Ford Fairlane kit (I have 2) even though there is the scale size difference (the diecast is 1/24). Doug is really NOT into models so he may not pay attention to the sizes.

I also painted the engine plate Blue, added a pre-wired distributor, and drilled some holes for heater hoses. (I just felt like adding a few extra details for my friend), There will also be a few more added when it's all put back together.

WAGONMODELINTERIORPAINTED1024x696_zps063

I also did a little paint detailing on the chassis...

WAGONMODELCHASSISDETAILED1024x763_zpsdc9

The body will go into the paint stripper and then I can prime it and paint it black, This is looking like it's going to be a surprisingly quick project

Very cool Rich!

I told you that cutting up and modifying a diecast body wasn't anything to fear! :lol:

I almost picked one of these up cheap at the last Castle Shannon show, but thought it looked kinda big compared to the new Revell '57 Ford (for kitbashing potential)...do you have one to compare to? ;)

Very cool Rich! I have a couple of those sedan deliveries in Coke colors that I got cheap a while back. I'm surprised and encouraged at how well your cutting went. So I know when I'm ready to do mine, I can mail the body to ya! :)

It does appear you have detoured from 1959 to 1957 with the Chevy and now this! But that's cool, especially since you have been helping friends with replicas.

See you in a few weeks. Have you met Manny? He will be at NNL East.

wow, all that with only one ceramic wheel, my hat's off to you sir!

my father had a red/white 2dr wagon when I was a lot younger, I sure would like to have it now instead of the 96 buick wagon I have now.

Edited by blunc

Thank you all for your comments.... they are ALWAYS welcome.

Jeff, I do have one of the new Revell Ford kits, but I haven't done any comparison with it yet. Actually, I was afraid that if I started doing that, I would probably rob some parts from it to detail the wagon..!!

Tom, I'd be happy to cut up your car for you, although I think that postage to send it to Manny might be cheaper for ya..!! No, I haven't met Manny in person yet, I've only spoken to him by PM and over the phone. I look forward to seeing him, and you, in a few weeks. Yes, I've been taking a little side trip through 1957 cars lately. I'll get back to the '58's soon.

Mike, I guess I either got lucky, or, as I said, did it right and let the Dremel do the cutting without forcing it. This was the very first time I've ever used a cutting wheel in a Dremel... I impressed myself..!!

Carl, my plan is to use clear acetate from the top of a box of Christmas cards. i save decent sized pieces of the stuff for just such a project.

Carl, my plan is to use clear acetate from the top of a box of Christmas cards. i save decent sized pieces of the stuff for just such a project.

Rich l never would have thought of that. I learn so much from this forum. Thanks

OK Rich, you go! Great project!

Thanks John. I'll be getting back to the '58 Caddy today. The clearcoat on the repainted body is ready to be polished and then it'll be BMF time for it. This wagon body is now in the pint stripper.

The Johnny Lightning '57 Ford Courier is true 1/24 scale. I know, because I did all the development work on that diecast. Lots of help in accurizing the body came from Pat Mulligan (former editor of SA) who has worked in licensing at Ford Motor Company for about 15 years.

Art

Today Mother Nature was good and gave me a great day for painting outside here. I primed and painted the body of the wagon Duplicolor Black. I'll give it a day to dry and then I'll apply the BMF trim and clearcoat it.

57FORDWAGONPAINTEDBLACKFRONT1024x754_zps

57FORDWAGONPAINTEDBLACKREAR1024x738_zpsf

I had also done some detailing of the dashboard...

57FORDWAGONDASHBOARD1024x739_zps0e675872

This project is coming along nicely so far. I added some sheet plastic to raise the front seat a bit and to fill in the sides and back of the rear seat. (I "borrowed" the seats from a '57 Ford Fairlane kit (I have 2) and once that all dries I can sand, prime, paint and install them.

Then it will be time to make the side windows from clear acetate. Further updates to follow as completed. Thanks for checking in on this build.

First of all, thanks to everyone for your kind comments on this project. I'd love to see a 1/25 scale wagon made too.

Daniel, the taillights appear to have been painted in with a really thick paint. I did not mask them off. I figured that I would BMF them when I did the trim and then use Tamiya clear red on them.

Andy, I put the body in paint stripper overnight (I use Scalecoat) and it did not remove one speck of paint. I understand that some (or all..??) diecasts are painted by baking the paint on, almost like powdercoating. I wound up cleaning the body well, then spraying it with Duplicolor primer/sealer, then spraying Duplicolor Black. Today I clearcoated it. I will polish it out then apply the BMF trim.

Today I finished applying the BMF trim. I attached FORD lettering to the front above the grille (I used PE letters from a '50 Ford MCG set that I wasn't using).

57FORDWAGONCHROMEFOILEDFRONT1024x761_zps

57FORDWAGONCHROMEFOILEDSIDE1024x761_zps8

I put BMF on the taillights and then applied Tamiya clear red. The center is detailed with some acrylic paint for the backup lights.

57FORDWAGONCHROMEFOILEDREAR1024x728_zpsb

I also installed the seats after painting them Black and Gray.

57FORDWAGONSEATSINSTALLED1024x763_zpsbdf

Now I just have to make the rear side glass and then I think it will be final assembly time.