Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 67 Corvette Coupe 427

CrazyGirl

Looks great...the wire technique worked out well. Beautiful job on the aluminum knobs and gauge rings. You seem to be picking up the whole lathe thing pretty quickly. This is an excellent example of what can be done with good fine-motor-skills, good eye-hand coordination, and patience.

Interesting how you machined the 'handle' on the backside of the gauge bezel first, to allow you to chuck it up and turn the edge / ring on the face side.

What did you finally use to adhere the wire trim to the panel face? Sorry if I missed in in the rest of the thread.

EDIT: Okay, I found it in the thread. Do you have a trade name for the hair-piece tape you used? I've got a beauty supply store close by and this stuff looks like it would work for something I've been wanting to try for years.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

thanks guys , but that radio is bugging me , maybe it needs a wash , highlighted ,,, if I had a mill I could have spaced the radio knobs and light and wiper switches a lot better , but actually i am pleased with how it came out ,,,,, i ended up using super glue , and super glue on the leather too , the leather i sanded down to around .010 thick , the guitar string that goes around the silver part was heck to bend to shape , that i super glued and flooded it with paint to fill the inside edge and scraped the wire after ,,,, but what i would like to know is , on the photo-etch Corvette badge how do you paint the sting ray name black under it , that eludes me how that is done

Edited by CrazyGirl

thanks guys , but that radio is bugging me , maybe it needs a wash , highlighted ,,, if I had a mill I could have spaced the radio knobs and light and wiper switches a lot better...

Are you kidding? You're worried about the spacing of the radio buttons in 1/25 scale??? :lol:

More power to ya, but that would definitely go in my "doesn't matter" file!

Are you kidding? You're worried about the spacing of the radio buttons in 1/25 scale??? :lol:

More power to ya, but that would definitely go in my "doesn't matter" file!

I Have to agree with Harry. if the dash looks this good I can't wait to see the rest of the car!!!

little more done , BMF the console , WOW not an easy task , how you guys do this is amazing , and carpet on the front floor , wow these close up pics show to many flaws005_zps41e178d9.jpg

I'm sure that most everyone on here would be happy with these "flaws" that you speak of. Looks very sharp!!!!!!!

You might try heating up the guitar string real good and let it cool slowly. That should knock a lot of the fight out of it and get it to listen!,,

joe.

I was going to suggest the same thing. This process is known as annealing, and involves heating the metal to just shy of "red hot" and allowing it to air cool. This works for photo etched pieces that need to be bent to shape as well. One advantage to this is that it reduces or eliminates the tendency of the metal to "spring back".

I use a small pencil torch for this, but for a high E or B string a butane lighter should be sufficient.

I was going to suggest the same thing. This process is known as annealing, and involves heating the metal to just shy of "red hot" and allowing it to air cool. This works for photo etched pieces that need to be bent to shape as well. One advantage to this is that it reduces or eliminates the tendency of the metal to "spring back".

I use a small pencil torch for this, but for a high E or B string a butane lighter should be sufficient.

Jaydar and Shardik, that would be a good idea to post in the Tips section.

I am actually maki g progress , I can't believe it , and I think it's looking cool !!! just a few things left on the interior , one biggie is the steering wheel , that's a project I can't wait to try , making a real wood wheel 015_zps0326a7c4.jpg016_zpsf62c8b51.jpg

Ironcially, the woodgrained plastic wheel would be more realistic because that's what the real ones were.

That dashboard is outstanding. Would you be willing to come to MassCar sometime for a demonstration on how to use a mini-lathe?

Very, very nice work.

Charlie Larkin

Instead of using stiff guitar string for the trim, use silver beading wire. It's flexible and much easier to work with than guitar string. Who go through all the trouble of heating it, cooling it, blah, blah, blah? Go to the jewelry aisle of Hobby Lobby and you'll find all sorts of silver wire that is so much easier to work with than guitar string.

Coming out of the gate , you have put more

Time and effort into the dash alone then others put into their entire build !

What the camera see's ? The naked eye very rarely does , if ever ! This is your first build , learn from your mistakes , don't obsess , and move on to the next one . The second will be better , as will the third , fourth and so on .

Always remember , there will never be the perfect model ! However , before it is all done , I believe that you will be coming very close on a regular basis .

thanks for the kind words guys !! , Charlie what I did on the lathe was I totally winged it , I'll go check it out Harry , but I have 3 life times worth of guitar string lol

Save the guitar string for the guitars. Believe me, you'll like working with the jewelry wire a lot better.