Model Cars Magazine Forum

All the Indy 500 Pace cars and a little history just for you.

Here are some others I have "in-Progress"

62 Studebaker;

Kit-Ls_zps0193e8ce.jpg

I am trying to simulate the Daytona trim on this one. I just added a strip of Evergreen across the Dip

running 'Straight' across the side. I am not sure how accurate it is as I only did it based on OLD pictures.

Tires are "Firestone Wide-Whiyes" from Lindberg's 53 Ford kit.

67 Camaro, converted from AMT (Matchbox era tooling) hardtop;

67Camaro-rs_zpsfdd2416d.jpg

Windshield frame is from an MPC 69 Camaro Pace car kit body!!

And my MPC 86 Vette.

86Vette-Ls_zpsb6848bdc.jpg

Stuck with the Yellow body color!!!!

I have already posted a pic of my 59 Buick, but can add one here.

and the 4 Built are in the Indy Pace car folder in my photobucket "Models" albums

Here;

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/EdselDan/library/Models/Indy%20500%20Pace%20cars?sort=3&page=1

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I used to have a '91 Stealth RT. I've never owned a Ferrari, or a Porsche, or any other really high-end car, just "regular" cars... but the Stealth was the best car (so far) that I've ever owned. I wish I still had it.

You could also say that you owned a Mitsubishi 3000 GT/GTO, as thats what is was underneath the body

Dont get me wrong, I have always liked the Dodsubishi Stealth 3000 , :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

I think the most interesting thing about that list is the list of people who drove them. You have to wonder "why" on some of them. Robin Roberts??? :blink:

Long-time ESPN and ABC anchor, ESPN and ABC do the race coverage.

Somebody at Revell/Monogram (Bill Lastovich, maybe?) was a major Indy Pace Car fan, they did loads of them during the 80's, 90's and 2000's, from both the present-day at the time and the past. Just off the top of my head, not all had pace car decals, but a lot of them did -

55 Chevy

64 Mustang

69 Camaro (even has molded flags)

72 Hurst Olds

78 Vette

79 Mustang

82 Camaro

84 Fiero

86 Vette

89 Trans Am GTA

90 Beretta? (know they did a Beretta Pro Street, did they ever do a stock street car or a convertible?)

91 Viper

93 Camaro

94 Mustang Cobra

95 Vette

96 Viper GTS

98 Vette

Pretty much every thing since '02 SSR without pace car decals.

You can kinda count the 80 Trans Am and 81 Regal in there, too, they're not exactly the same versions that Monogram did, though.

Future releases of 49 Olds and 50 Mercury convertibles from them wouldn't surprise me one bit.

AMT/Ertl kitted the Dodge Stealth, but called it an "Indy 500 Official Car". They also did many of the same 90's cars as Revellogram.

Lindberg, of course, does the 53 Ford.

Edited by Brett Barrow

91 Dodge Viper

400hp 8L V-10

91stealth.jpgCarroll Shelby

The Dodge Stealth was to be the pace car, but the UAW didn't like the joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi, forcing Dodge to use the as-yet unreleased Viper.

Thanks for posting these, I am a huge fan. I have made several trips to the Speedway during the off season just to view the ever changing scale model collection at the museum. A nice collection of pace cars as well as former winners cars and others. Also some real 1:1 cars but, I find myself spending more time looking at the models for some reason. One of my favorite years above, I rushed out and bought a Stealth Promo Model to turn it into a pace car. I remember all the commotion about it being a foreign car by the UAW (they were strong here in Indiana at the time). If I'm not mistaken, the Viper was only a Concept at the time and Chrysler's engineers rushed to build two of them for the race. The Stealth remained the Official Car of the Indy 500 and was used for everything else at the Speedway that year including, the parade, and also V.I.P.s got to drive them the whole month of May. I guess you could say there may have never been a Viper produced if it wasn't for all the commotion at the 500 in 1991.

I wonder if they would have protested if one of the American-assembled Diamond-Star products (like the Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser) had been used instead of the Japanese-built Stealth?

I wonder if they would have protested if one of the American-assembled Diamond-Star products (like the Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser) had been used instead of the Japanese-built Stealth?

Most of the auto workers I knew didn't quite get it. If it didn't have the name Chevrolet on it, it was a foreign car. I owned a VW Rabbit assembled in Pennsylvania, a part time co-worker, also GM employee, used to accuse me of driving a foreign car, while all the time he was driving a Chevy Luv truck made in Japan. Go figure. GM, UAW workers were busting out headlights of foreign cars they saw in parking lots. Crazy times!

Great history .Its interesting how the horsepower went up every year till the mid seventies when they had to start hot rodding them to get the power levels needed.After fuel injection was perfected in the 90's they were powerful enough from the factory again.I cant figure the Olds. bravado being used though, especially with a straight 6 V6 .I guess it s better than Daytona using an aztec one year

Most of the auto workers I knew didn't quite get it. If it didn't have the name Chevrolet on it, it was a foreign car. I owned a VW Rabbit assembled in Pennsylvania, a part time co-worker, also GM employee, used to accuse me of driving a foreign car, while all the time he was driving a Chevy Luv truck made in Japan. Go figure. GM, UAW workers were busting out headlights of foreign cars they saw in parking lots. Crazy times!

Lots of people still don't get it. Look at the hatred towards all the foreign cars built in the US and Canada by fellow country men.

Brett,

The Dodge Stealth was built in Bloomington IL I believe.

Art

Long-time ESPN and ABC anchor, ESPN and ABC do the race coverage.

Somebody at Revell/Monogram (Bill Lastovich, maybe?) was a major Indy Pace Car fan, they did loads of them during the 80's, 90's and 2000's, from both the present-day at the time and the past. Just off the top of my head, not all had pace car decals, but a lot of them did -

55 Chevy

64 Mustang

69 Camaro (even has molded flags)

72 Hurst Olds

78 Vette

79 Mustang

82 Camaro

84 Fiero

86 Vette

89 Trans Am GTA

90 Beretta? (know they did a Beretta Pro Street, did they ever do a stock street car or a convertible?)

91 Viper

93 Camaro

94 Mustang Cobra

95 Vette

96 Viper GTS

98 Vette

Pretty much every thing since '02 SSR without pace car decals.

You can kinda count the 80 Trans Am and 81 Regal in there, too, they're not exactly the same versions that Monogram did, though.

Future releases of 49 Olds and 50 Mercury convertibles from them wouldn't surprise me one bit.

AMT/Ertl kitted the Dodge Stealth, but called it an "Indy 500 Official Car". They also did many of the same 90's cars as Revellogram.

Lindberg, of course, does the 53 Ford.

Brett,

Nobody kitted the Beretta Convertible, as that body style never made it beyond the engineering prototype stage. I did cast one for a couple of years back in 1990-91, still have the mastering for it.

Art

Regarding the Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT:

According to the Dodge Forum at cars-directory.net and at Wikipedia...

"... regardless of its badge or eventual target market, every car was built on the same production line at Mitsubishi's plant in Nagoya, Japan."

So, the UAW may have had a point about the nature of the pace car at "America's Race." And, when I was shooting commercials for Exxon, I made a point to use American cars, Corvettes if the spot required high performance, although Exxon never made any request in this regard.

Also, see the last line at Allpar:

"All Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT cars were made in Nagoya, Japan."

Original is at Dodge Stealth cars http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/stealth.html#ixzz2TgAZNN4O

Edited by sjordan2

Forgot I Finally got one of those Monogram Fiero's

It was assembled with Scotch Tape!!!!!!!!!!

Fun will be painting it White over that Red plastic!!

And forgot I built the 80 Trans Am too!!

Art, Who cast the 60 Olds 98 you mastered??

I have a Miller Memorabilia!!

grill, bumpers, boot cover all cast in place on the body.

It was more of a gel-coat type resin with Bondo fill inside!!

Here is a pic of it.

60Olds-Ls_zpsfd48dd35.jpg

Interior came with the body. I had to replace the windshield frame. Gotta love those Monogram/Rev 59 Impalas!!

Chassis is also from the Impala.(Need correct hubcaps!!)

I used the Promo engine plug from AMT's 63 Impala SS kit, instead of adding an engine under the hood.

I cast the '60 Olds 98 Convertible at AAM. All the chrome, except for the taillights, was separate, and plated.

Art

Art, Wish I could have found one of yours!!

Still, I am working that Miller kit!!

Just need to find the hubcaps!

Forgot, I have 2 of that Stealth "Official Car" Kit, And one Promo too

Though the Promo is Not pearl yellow. I think it is black.

(Got it Free so I don't care that it is wrong!!)

Yea.

I have the kit, and it is molded in that Pearl Yellow.

Also, the pic's on the linked page That are shown here.

I have seen errors saying the 83 Riviera Pace Car was also in multiple

colors.

I had painted the interior on my 60 Olds Gray, but then read that it was Blue,

so repainted it. I mixed various shades.

Question here, Which is correct??

I also see the 62 Studebaker built with both Red, & Blue interiors, but read that the Pace Car had Blue

As for Shades of Color, that is Subjective to each persons' eyes!!!

I have read thet the 50 Mercury was Cream, but the Pic above shows it yellow.

It was Eldon Palmer who organized the donation of a pair of 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T convertibles to serve as the pace cars that year at Indy. Consider this: None of the automakers stepped forward that year to offer a car to serve as the Pace Car.

As for the lamentable crash--there had been a set of braking markers in the grassy strip between pit lane and the inside wall of the front stretch, which Palmer had used all week long before that year's 500 to practice the pace lap. Unfortunately, sometime on Saturday before the Sunday race, SOMEONE removed those markers, leaving Palmer to figure out the braking point for himself. The accident was not entirely Eldon Palmer's fault.

Art

Actually the 1971 Challenger Pace Cars were not R/T models, Dodge never built any 1971 Challenger R/T convertibles. There were 2 383 Magnum Challengers used for pace car duty the other 48 cars were a mix of 340 and 318 Challengers. Another issue lending its hand in the pace car crash was the fact that the Challenger had drum brakes not disc, I'm not sure if they were power or manual drum brakes.

Actually the 1971 Challenger Pace Cars were not R/T models, Dodge never built any 1971 Challenger R/T convertibles. There were 2 383 Magnum Challengers used for pace car duty the other 48 cars were a mix of 340 and 318 Challengers. Another issue lending its hand in the pace car crash was the fact that the Challenger had drum brakes not disc, I'm not sure if they were power or manual drum brakes.

On the trim level, I stand corrected. However, drum brakes were likely NOT the issue, as virtually every Pace Car up through at least 1971 was drum brake equipped. The crash was caused by the missing braking point sign, and a series of warning sighs giving the distance to the braking point, according to virtually all involved in investigating the accident, and in subsequent court filings.

A seldom known fact about Pace Cars from 1965 through 1974: Although Firestone had been virtually the sole supplier of tires used at Indy for the 500 since the late 1920's, in 1965 Goodyear stepped into competition at the Speedway. To ensure equal treatment of the two competing tire companies, IMS specified two pace cars be supplied for races in those years: One mounted with Firestone tires, the other on Goodyears. Other than the tires, both Pace Cars were identically trimmed and equipped.

The Pace Car used to start the race was equipped with the same make tires as the pole sitter's race car, while the Pace Car used for the winning driver's victory lap after the finish wore the same make tires as on the winning car. After 1974, Firestone dropped out of USAC Championship Division racing, and stayed away until the formation of the Indy Racing League for the 1996 season--so only one true Pace Car has been used from 1974 onward. Of course, duplicate pace cars still lead the starting field on race day, but only on the parade laps, the extra cars pulling off the track at the start of the pace lap.

Art

I thought I read years ago that they were available in other colors,so I googled

53219358_pr_zpsb3c08c91.jpg

Kevin,

Almost from the start of the particular automaker offering pace car "replicas" for sale to the car-buying public, replica Indy pace cars have periodically been sold in colors other than the actual Pace Car used on race day at Indianapolis. That was certainly the case in 1986, but THE Pace Car was yellow.

Art

Kevin,

Almost from the start of the particular automaker offering pace car "replicas" for sale to the car-buying public, replica Indy pace cars have periodically been sold in colors other than the actual Pace Car used on race day at Indianapolis. That was certainly the case in 1986, but THE Pace Car was yellow.

Art

I had a bronze 1973 Eldorado ragtop when I lived in California. When redoing the trunk, I found pace care decals under the carpet. In bad shape, but obviously came with the car but never applied. Since the car was bronze, the decals were white letters outlined in black. I paid $400 for that and had to use a tractor to pull it out of a field. Got it home and it started after an hour of futzing with the thing.