Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick Invicta 60's style custom

Darin Bastedo

This is what I've been working on recently. I picked up this Rough Buick Invicta Built up at the MDA model show in Roanoke VA a few months ago. It had multiple thick coats of brush paint on it, and took about a month to strip. I'm building into a sixties style custom using the rear fenders, front and rear valences, and up-top from the Monogram 1959 Chevy impala, as well as the chassis, engine compartment, interior windshield and cowl from the Monogram 1959 Cadillac, I know the chassis is not accurate for this car, but my story is that the builder swapped chassis and floor boards so he could use the Cadillac air suspension.

IMG_5027-vi.jpg

IMG_5028-vi.jpg

IMG_5035-vi.jpg

IMG_5038-vi.jpg

IMG_5039-vi.jpg

conniekit-vi.jpguptoprear-vi.jpg

Hey Darin.. Nice work. I look forward to watching the progress!

Here's the one I've had going for quite some time. I used the '59 Chevy chassis and interior. I stretched the chassis in the front wheel well. I was doing great until someone told me I had the wrong chassis. That took the interest out of the project for some time. Now I'm thinking of finishing it was Cuban license plates. Heck, they pieced it together from what they had! Note that once you've used the '59 Chevy rear valance, the connie kit works really well!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Nice start. Not many of these surface and get built these days...good to see one being brought back and customized. Are you familiar with the '59 Buick hardtop Darryl Starbird built for himself? It's subtle, but gets rid of the signature canted-quad headlights.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I actually like the canted headlights, its what makes this car unique. I have though swapped out the grill and bumper for lighter elements to make the overall look of the car sleeker. (at least that is the intent)

I agree with you about the canted lights...they're so much an integral part of this car. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Nice work so far, Darin!

May I suggest reducing significantly the height of your beltline molding and especially the lower windshield molding? On the real car these pieces are much closer to being flush with the surrounding sheet metal.

59-Buick-Elecra-225-Convrtbl-DV-09-MBC-0

The Bodywork at this point is only roughed in The trim will be reshaped and sanded before it is finished.