Model Cars Magazine Forum

The subject of workshops and equipment has come up a few times under different topics in the last few weeks, and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the work spaces of some of the top builders of Pocher kits, which I just now looked at on modelmotorcars.com.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/workshops/workshops_home.htm

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks a lot, Skip. I thought my hobby area was pretty decent and spacious (10' x 20') and I just put a couple of coats of Future on the floor tile. I feel really bad now and may have to do some additional upgrades.

I've never built a Pocher model - do you really need all that room and equipment?

Thanks a lot, Skip. I thought my hobby area was pretty decent and spacious (10' x 20') and I just put a couple of coats of Future on the floor tile. I feel really bad now and may have to do some additional upgrades.

I've never built a Pocher model - do you really need all that room and equipment?

Harry can tell you more about that, but he says Pocher kits need a LOT of upgrading. Considering all the metal parts, most Pocher builders of any commitment seem to have a number of machine tools. As for room, that's all about how you lay it out. The common element seems to be a combination of storage and organization, which relates to any modeling work space. I don't see that Pocher kits necessarily require extra work space, though. But many of the workshops seen in the link I provided belong to either pros or intensely committed builders.

Edited by sjordan2

Wow. I was happy to get the 6 x 10 room tucked under the stairs in the basement. It already had some built-in cabinetry installed when we bought our place. These rooms put that to shame.

I would think that people who build Pochers (either exclusively or mostly), like these guys appear to do, would in general be more intense in their modeling interest and take things a little more seriously than the "average" model builder... if for no other reason than the $$$ they spend on kits... so that would explain some of the very elaborate and comprehensive work rooms. These guys are not the type that casually throw together a model over a weekend.

Here's Gerald Wingrove's current workshop in Spain. Click on Old Workshops to see what he used to have. Wouldn't you love to have the rooms and the views?

http://www.wworkshop.net/Workshop/New_workshop.html

These are workspaces befitting of a Member of the Order of the British Empire for craftsmanship, an award presented to him by the Duke of Kent.

While you're at it, just wander around the whole site for a few weeks.

Edited by sjordan2