Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Make And Take Questions

Hello,

I would like to coordinate a modeling Make and Take activity for the Cub Scouts pack. We are quite a big pack with about 65 kids. How are these things run? Who do you involve? Where do I start? Any suggestions on how, what and where to start? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ismael, I helped out a local pack leader with the same thing.

He purchased the AMT Make and Takes and I believe the price last year for them was $40-$50. Unfortunately I don't think you can get any from AMT. Revell offers the Impala police car as well as the snap planes they offer.

I do not know how many kits come to a case for Revell. You should be able to contact a Local Hobby Shop and they can hook you up, but if you don't have one try contacting Revell directly.

The kits are bagged and have no box but everything you'll need is in their.

The local pack leader actually had me come to their meeting with the M&T box and actually speak about modeling. Have a Q&A with them and then hand out the kits. We let the boys go after it on their own and I walked around helping anyone with questions or difficulties.

I found it to be a very good time and the pack rewarded me with their popcorn. They had a great time and I did as well.

If you are purchasing through a Hobby Shop see if you can't work out a deal (a discount on the cases) since it is for a pack they might slide you a 10% or more discount with a bulk purchase like that. Also see if the LHS will make up some coupons for the kids to come back and purchase a kit. Something like 15% off. I offered this to the local pack and with the help of the LHS, was happy to see a few come back.

Here is Revell's link:

http://www.revell.com/Make-n-Take.make_n_take.0.html

If I can help any more let me know.

Chris

Edited by crispy

It's just as Crispy sez. Did I recall you belong to a car club? This is a good way to get them involved in it as well. Manpower to help the kids with assembly, questions, and a small display outside with the real cars. Make it an event for the day. I did one in conjunction with Goodguys events and we had boys and girls on the floor all around us as the tables were quickly filled. We were doing 57 Chevies then, but I've M&Ts with PT Cruisers, Vettes and others of the Revell Snappers

Our model club The Flint Area Auto Modelers has been doing this for the last 4 years. At our annual model contest. During the Sloan Summer Auto Fair in Flint Mich. We have been building 200 models over the 2 days of the event every year for the last 4 years. We give the models away to kids 14 and under with the help of our generous sponsors. All the club members are involved in shifts since we are also running a contest. We get our models from Revell, contact them through there website. On a personal note this is the most fun you can have with a bunch of kids some of them have been building other kits and have been entering them in the contest. We encuorage parents to also help there kids build the models. It is one of the best events at the car show.

Picture004-vi.jpg

Later Al

I used to chair a Modeling and Mentoring activity for kids. We used those kits. They are fun and easy. Someplace we had purchased for a nominal fee a video that was an intro to modeling. We tried to incorporate that as it had some good "dos and don'ts". Kids like this activity as they get almost immediate gratification. Have fun. Nobody loses in these activities.

Once you get the kits (which seems pretty well covered) it's basically just helping the kids in whatever they may need. Some have trouble getting parts off the trees, others have parts they can't get to fit, some get it like they've been doing it for years. At the Goodguys East Coast Nationals every year, we (the TNMCC) run the model show and the make & take. Every year we have a larger and larger increase in kids, so much so that we actually ran out of kits on BOTH days we did it this year! That's roughly 160 kits we went through, and Goodguys paid for all of them :)

It'll make your day because some kids are just so excited about models and you can tell how much they really appreciate it.

At Goodguys their parents stayed and helped with a handfull of club members guiding them in whatever steps were nessicary. Of the 15 or so members we had there, not a single one of us DIDN'T help in some way with the Make & Take.

This year we used 32 Fords, and 57 Chevys. Last year we had the red plastic 57s as well as the 77 Monte Carlo. Year before that we had 63 Corvettes and even more 57 Chevys. Basically the snap-tight-du-jour ;)

Once you get the kits (which seems pretty well covered) it's basically just helping the kids in whatever they may need. Some have trouble getting parts off the trees, others have parts they can't get to fit, some get it like they've been doing it for years.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Billy. It's been almost 2 years since it went off, but here's the Make & Take I helped Matt T. do at the Saratoga Auto Museum....the room alone could have made it a great time, but the kids and parents(and grandparents) are what make an event like this special.

Make & Take, November '05

Matt & I still laugh about the kid I called 'Hercules.' :)