Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone been watching street outlaws?

Has anybody been watching street outlaws on discovery channel Monday nights? IMO its a great show compared to everything else on tv right now. Yeah you can tell its scripted and they aren't actually doing any illegal street racing because they are on a blocked off road or at the airport on one of the airstrips. For those who don't watch the show is made up of what they claim as the "10 fastest street cars in the country". Every single one of the top 10 cars/trucks get trailered out to the location but all of them do have working lights and I assume are registered and insured. But really none of the cars get street driven at all except for the farmtruck who used to be number 10 but recently got knocked off by 3rd gen. All in all if you like drag racing its a great show to watch even with its downfalls.

heres a few of the cars, the top 3 to be exact.

#1 Daddy Dave, 96 Sonoma 632 cubic inch bbc, 3 stage speedtech nitrous system

137451695461314091101501197_107CrapShoot

#2 Sean, 69 nova 572 cubic inch bbc, F3 procharger

4986_121430905125_523735125_3417708_zps8

#3 Doc, 70 monte carlo not sure what its got in it

thebeast_zpse4a183f3.jpg

Docs is a nitrousd big block. That said, Larsen and Lutz are faster than them as are quite a few cars from Texas... That actually do get driven..

And on the nova you cant drive around with the procharger wide open like that, rocks and other debris would ruin the procharger which im not positive but I do believe it would tear up the procharger and then go tear up the inside of the engine. And I have a lot respect for Jeff Lutz and Larry Larson, the nova and 57 are incredible cars.

While it may not be "reality", it is still interesting to watch. I really like the look of the murder nova, really has a sinister vibe to it.

yeah its very scripted and fake but its still fun to watch, although farm trucks not on the top 10 anymore its still my favorite because its a true street car they actually go out and drive it

Edited by Dragfreak

Yeah

It gets driven but the way they go on about how much of a sleeper it is irritates me. That thing with its slicks and its idle isn't fooling annnnnnnnyyyyyybody.

true but if the races they set up with them ricers at the gas stations isn't fake the "sleeper" does work on those guys

I watch it because it is the closest thing to street racing on tv now. Yeah alot is scripted but the guys do hit the road occasionally and race for real. The Farmtruck is my favorite. I always liked the off-the-wall stuff, and anybody who can get a 5000lb truck to leave like this deserves some credit. - Bill

here's Shaun (& Louise) doin their thing....

post-1439-0-74160300-1374694473_thumb.jp

I watch it because it is the closest thing to street racing on tv now. Yeah alot is scripted but the guys do hit the road occasionally and race for real. The Farmtruck is my favorite. I always liked the off-the-wall stuff, and anybody who can get a 5000lb truck to leave like this deserves some credit. - Bill

here's Shaun (& Louise) doin their thing....

attachicon.gifFarmtruck 1.jpg

exact same reason I love the farm truck

I like it. I watch it every chance I get but the way they try to drum up drama is irritating. They always act like they just barely got away from being caught by the cops when they do a test run and the cops were probably never even around. I think it's funny how everyone has a nickname. Funny, my buddies and I used to street race all the time and not one of us had a nickname like that! The statement of "we have the fastest cars in the country", is a joke. I'm sure there's plenty of other cars that are faster!

I like it. I watch it every chance I get but the way they try to drum up drama is irritating. They always act like they just barely got away from being caught by the cops when they do a test run and the cops were probably never even around. I think it's funny how everyone has a nickname. Funny, my buddies and I used to street race all the time and not one of us had a nickname like that! The statement of "we have the fastest cars in the country", is a joke. I'm sure there's plenty of other cars that are faster!

yeah my dads vega would easily make it to the 5th or 6th spot and its just a low 8 second car, really nothing special.

The fake "reality" drama far out weighs the two actual minutes of cars....IMO it's just the Honey-booboo hotrod kachigger show, and not very good............needless to say at this point; but not a fan..................Matt

Edited by monkeyclaw

This is another staged show, or a sitcom, is not real?, including the racing ?, how is street racing when they use a runway? how is full on drag cars considered street cars?, more so ones that are trailer to the filming locations

http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/06/17/about-the-new-okc-based-reality-show-street-outlaws/

Here is another write up the "real life street racing being filmed at an airport

http://paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/communitynews/x36432860/Race-car-film-scenes-a-real-discovery

Yeah I don't care for the scripted fights and everything but the actual racing is the only reason I watch it.

Its not real racing, its staged

Edited by martinfan5

This is another staged show, or a sitcom, is not real?, including the racing ?, how is street racing when they use a runway? how is full on drag cars considered street cars?, more so ones that are trailer to the filming locations

http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/06/17/about-the-new-okc-based-reality-show-street-outlaws/

Here is another write up the "real life street racing being filmed at an airport

http://paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/communitynews/x36432860/Race-car-film-scenes-a-real-discovery

Its not real racing, its staged

how can you tell? to me the racings as real as it gets not once do they lift nor leave soft and not put it to the mat

How I can I tell, its a scripted reality show, just for the heck of it, I will give that maybe the racing part could be real

yes I have to agree the directors ruined a show that could have been good but I don't think the racing itself is scripted or staged just from watching it

Edited by Dragfreak