Model Cars Magazine Forum

There's a principle here, and I choke on this Politically Correct thing where everything, no matter how awful or poorly conceived and executed, is somehow praiseworthy.

To take that to its logical conclusion, a Yugo or a Chevette is the equal of a Lamborghini Miura or a Jag D-type.

No.

Just because someone 'showed up for class' and 'tried', they don't rate an "A". Excellence still counts, mediocrity is mediocrity and trash is trash.

There's nothing wrong with stating the truth about a hideous mess when it is in fact a hideous mess.

If the owner is happy with that, I sincerely question his judgment, and his grasp of concepts like automobile, proportion, design, hot-rod, and worthwhile. I admire the fact he stayed with it and got it done, but I really can't comprehend anyone thinking that it looks good.

And if this were a model on the forum, I'd just not say anything rather than needlessly hurt someone who thought he'd done well...but come on. This thing is awful.

But it's also kinda like...if I had a big zit on my nose that was runny and gross and I didn't notice it, I think it would be kinder to TELL me than to pretend it looked good.

If that's REALLY the best someone can do, why bother? :unsure:

Being this judgemental based solely on one photo is irresponsible when you don't know the circumstances behind the build.

Being this judgemental based solely on one photo is irresponsible when you don't know the circumstances behind the build.

Okay, you're right. The truth must be avoided at any cost. And 'ugly' isn't 'ugly' if there are "circumstances".

:) :) "it's great and as long as the builder is happy that's ALL that counts". :) :)

Okay, you're right. The truth must be avoided at any cost. And 'ugly' isn't 'ugly' if there are "circumstances".

:) :) "it's great and as long as the builder is happy that's ALL that counts". :) :)

It's just a car on a lawn. Nobody is trying to pass it off as worthy of being in a museum or in a classic car show. Maybe it's done on a budget, maybe it's a father/daughter build. Who knows for sure? Except apparently you. This is just another example of people knocking something down just to appear bigger. At least it's a real car.

It's just a car on a lawn. Nobody is trying to pass it off as worthy of being in a museum or in a classic car show. Maybe it's done on a budget, maybe it's a father/daughter build. Who knows for sure? Except apparently you. This is just another example of people knocking something down just to appear bigger. At least it's a real car.

Just to appear bigger? A REAL car? Hmmm. Guess you don't know me very well. :o It looks like you're entitled to your opinion of ME without knowing all the facts, eh? But I'm not entitled to MY opinion of this POS without knowing all the facts? Interesting double-standard there.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

And what is wrong with that? really? seriously who the heck cares, if the person is happy, and he is the one that spent the money, then why should any of you care?

Because the photo was posted on an online forum, where people... wait for it... people express their opinions! :o

Hey, wait a minute... Online forum? Members expressing their opinions? Hmmm, I just might be on to something here!

Really, thats what we are doing here?, I had no idea, thanks to telling me, I would of never figured it out :rolleyes::huh:

So if you understand that a forum is a place where people express their opinions, why did you seem so surprised that people were doing exactly that?

And that is absolutely correct! Nobody is required to build to your or my esthetic. I happen to agree that it is as ugly as sin and it would never live in my garage, but then again it's not my car.

Guys, this was posted for the express reason for people to discuss it.

Exactly what about that idea are you guys missing?

It's just a picture. No context. We need more information to make an informed comment. If this was the work of a master craftsman with lots of engineering degrees then many of the comments would be valid. What if it's actually the work of someone that had to overcome long odds and adversity to make this. How big do some of you feel about your comments in that case? This might as well have been titled "let's make fun of this picture".

What if it's actually the work of someone that had to overcome long odds and adversity to make this.

Sorry, the fact that the builder might have built this despite some disability would not make me like this one bit more. Nor would I feel bad about saying so on a modeling forum. I would have respect for the builders fortitude but not his engineering/design skills.

Having seen the side view now I understand the length of this. That cab is shallow enough, cutting into it to create a tranny/drive shaft tunnel would have taken a lot of real estate. Stretching out the frame lets him mount the engine normally without a lot of surgery.

I beginning to think that someone decided to make 100% profit off this guy when he told them he wanted a yellow hot rod.

I have an ex-brother inlaw that over paid for his "dream car". He started with a plain jane 69 camaro, one of his "buddies" put a 327 (supposedly out of a corvette) with a 4sp tranny in it and painted it hot pink. After milking the bro-inlaw for between 30k to 40k, the car finally came home.

It wouldn't stay running till I re-tuned it, the shift pattern was completely backwards (I had to flip the trans linkage) and the clutch had to be changed immediately. The rest of the bro-inlaw's family stated referring to the car as "The Liver Transplant" because of the rabid pink color and how much money was wasted on it.