Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP - 1956 Plymouth Belvedere

Ramfins59

This is the third WIP that I've got going at the moment. It is very unlike me to have more than one project going at the same time. The '58 Olds build is still giving me issues with paint for some reason, but I think I've got it under control. In the meantime, since the foil work went so wonderfully (?) on the '56 DeSoto I figured that since I was in a BMF mood, I may as well do the '56 Plymouth since the paint and clearcoat were all done and polished.

The toughest part of foiling this Plymouth was doing the Plymouth lettering on the front of the hood, and the taillight area. Overall I'm satisfied with the way it turned out.

Sorry for the kind of fuzzy pictures.

56PLYMOUTHPAINTEDCLEARCOATEDampFOILED110

56PLYMOUTHPAINTEDCLEARCOATEDampFOILED210

56PLYMOUTHPAINTEDCLEARCOATEDampFOILED310

Now it will be time to do the interior. Thanks to all for looking in on this build. As always, comments, critiques, etc., are welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by Ramfins59

Ah, yes...the "Forward Look". I'm not sure if I have told this before, but my mom bought a '56 Belvedere in 1957. It was turquoise and white, 4 dr. sport sedan, had everything but the kitchen sink in options, including the single 4bbl hemi engine (332? 354?). It was a boulevard cruiser for sure; sat so low she got stopped by the CHP and he took a pack of cigarettes out and slid them underneath to see if it could clear. I guess it did because he let us go. It had that huge A/C unit in the trunk that blew ice cold air right at the back of your neck. It was kind of a tank, but could burn rubber down the block and suck down about a gallon of premium to do it.

Oddly, we moved a couple of years later to a little town called Loomis. We rented a small apt over a garage on a fruit farm, and the owner had parked right next to us a gleaming white 1956 Fury with the gold trim and the hopped up dual quad hemi. It was gorgeous. I always thought GM stole their 1957 Chevy design from the '56 Plymouth (same kind of fins), but obviously the Chevy was a much bigger hit.

Anyway, your model is great. I don't think I've even seen a '56 Plymouth model unless it was an old dealer promo. Great job, Rich.

Edited by deja-view

Thanks a lot for all of your encouragement guys.

Charlie, I did get a resin interior plus replacement bumpers, grille and glass from The Modelhaus for this car.

Ken, this is a Johan curbside promo that I picked up at the NNL East show back in April.

Sam, I looked at the color charts for the '56 Plymouth and liked the 2-Tone green combo for this model.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the '58 Olds, '56 DeSoto and this Plymouth for the past 2 weeks. I'll eventually settle into finishing one of them completely.

Today I finished up the interior for this Plymouth. First I sprayed it with the Tamiya Gray Green and when that dried I brush painted on some Model Master Forest Green. When that was dry, I applied the BMF trim. The carpet is flocked in a dark green color and the seat inserts and package tray are flocked in sort of a mint green color. The dashboard is painted the Tamiya British that is on the body, and I detailed it with BMF and chrome silver paint. The gauges are detailed with a super fine point black artists pen and I picked away some of the ink on the numbers and dials. The steering wheel is painted Tamiya Gray Green with chrome silver paint on the horn ring. The pedals & driver side mat are painted with acrylic semi-gloss black. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

56PLYMOUTHINTERIORFINISHED11024x763_zpsf

56PLYMOUTHINTERIORFINISHED21024x614_zpsd

56PLYMOUTHINTERIORFINISHED31024x750_zps0

Tomorrow I can hopefully start final assembly on this car. Thanks a lot for peeking in on this progress. Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks very much guys.

Tommy, I'm no "wizard" with BMF, I've just been working with it for a few years. I take my time. I use a new blade and let the blade cut the foil without much pressure. I burnish it down really well with a QTip and a wooden toothpick, and then after trimming it on the body and removing the excess foil, I burnish the cut edges again with a toothpick. It is a time consuming chore but worth it all in the end. Don't be afraid to use it. If you mess it up you can either try to retrim it or take it off and start over.