Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speed Channel going to soccer and UFC....

iBorg

Who's showing American Lemans series this year? I think I've been able to catch less than one hour of the big Le Mans race in the past 5 years because the scheduling and promo is such ######. Le Mans, Rolex, Sebring, WRC are fun to watch. Nascar has become a little more interesting since the Busch brothers have been involved, but I'm so sick of the over-promotion of Danica Patrick is sickening. But I don't find any racing on Fox anymore.

Will never ever watch another Lemans Series race again in my life. Any series that continues to run a race after the said race has a accident that involves a death to a competitor should immediately postpone or even cancel the remaining portion of the race. With the fatality in this years 24 hours of Lemans, they continued to finish the race. When the competitor was fatally injured in my opinion the remainder of the race should have been Cancelled. So the Lemans Series lost a fan over that with me. Just my honest opinion but how I feel.

Will never ever watch another Lemans Series race again in my life. Any series that continues to run a race after the said race has a accident that involves a death to a competitor should immediately postpone or even cancel the remaining portion of the race. With the fatality in this years 24 hours of Lemans, they continued to finish the race. When the competitor was fatally injured in my opinion the remainder of the race should have been Cancelled. So the Lemans Series lost a fan over that with me. Just my honest opinion but how I feel.

They asked his family if they wanted to cancel the race, they declined and said he would've wanted the race to continue, I hear Nascar is looking for fans they black flag races every time a bird poops on the track.

Edited by Lownslow

But that's just part of racing. The danger is what attracts most viewers in the first place. You wouldn't shut down an entire factory because a worker is killed in an accident, would you? There are thousand of people who's income depends of these races....some make a year's wages on one race they can work or supply to. I don't think Le Mans has ever quit a race because of a death or bad accident -- and there have been plenty of both.

FOX is is turning SPEED into FOX Sports 1, and FuelTv will become FOX Sports 2, the reason FOX is doing this is to compete with ESPN/2, FOX has had this in the works for 15 years now :lol:

I have been following this since the rumors started about a year and a half ago, while I can not tell you what all racing series may be shown on FS1/2 , I can tell you that the 24 Hour Of Le Mans will be covered by FS1 next year, as for the other racing series, I am guessing that they will run out the tv rights for those series and then who knows what is going to happen .

Yes there is a reason why FS1 is going to have NASCAR coverage, FOX spent billions of dollars for the rights to cover NASCAR race's, so of course its going to be covered on FS1 ;)

But at the end of the day, its all about money, there is more money to be made in a "all sports network" then their is a "all motorsports network", but I am going to tell you this, keep an eye on NBC Sports Network, they are for the time being starting to like the new SPEED in a lot of ways, and yes, come 2015, they will have NASCAR too :D

I agree with most here though, there has not been anything on SPEED worth watching for a few years now other then motorsports coverage.

But. as of right now, DirecTv, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable have not agreed to carry FS1/FS2 , the reason why is FOX is asking for a very high rate increase , and those companys are refusing to do so, if an agreement has not been reached by 6am on the 17th, SPEED will continue , but in a limited form .

A brief run down of what FS1 launch day schedule will be , and for the rest of the week to Friday

• Saturday 8/17/2013
  • PREMIERE OF FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICK OFF 6am ET
  • PREMIERE OF FANTASTIC FINISHES 7am ET
  • NASCAR SPRINT CUP PRACTICE Michigan 8:30am ET – Live
  • NCWTS QUALIFYING Michigan 9:30am ET – Live
  • NASCAR SPRINT CUP FINAL PRACTICE Michigan 11am ET – Live
  • NCWTS RACING Michigan 12:30pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF FOX SPORTS 1 ON 1 2:30pm ET
  • FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICK OFF 3:30pm ET
  • PREMIERE OF UFC ULTIMATE INSIDER 4:30pm ET
  • UFC FIGHT NIGHT Prefight: Shogun vs Sonnen 5pm ET – Live
  • UFC FIGHT NIGHT Prelims: Shogun vs Sonnen 6pm ET – Live
  • UFC FIGHT NIGHT Shogun vs Sonnen 8pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF FOX SPORTS LIVE 11pm ET – Live
  • Sunday 8/18/2013
  • PREMIERE OF NASCAR RACEDAY Michigan 10am ET – Live
  • MOTOGP MOTO2 Indianapolis 12pm ET – Live
  • MOTOGP MOTO3 Indianapolis 11am ET – Live
  • MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Indianapolis 2pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF NASCAR VICTORY LANE Michigan 7pm ET
  • PREMIERE OF UFC ULTIMATE 100 KNOCKOUTS Part 1: Knockouts 100-71 8pm ET
  • UFC ULTIMATE 100 KNOCKOUTS Part 2: Knockouts 70-41 9pm ET

• Monday 8/19/2013
  • PREMIERE OF FOX SOCCER DAILY 4pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF NASCAR RACE HUB 4:30pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF CROWD GOES WILD 5pm ET – Live
  • PREMIERE OF FOX FOOTBALL DAILY 6pm ET – Live
  • GOLDEN BOY ON FOX: Daniel Jacobs vs Giovanni Lorenzo 9pm ET – Live

• Tuesday 8/20/2013
  • UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: PLAY-OFFS - 1st Leg 2pm ET – Live
  • CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE - MATCH DAY 2: DirecTV W Connection (TRI) vs Houston Dynamo (USA) 8pm ET – Live

• Wednesday 8/21/2013
  • NCWTS PRACTICE Bristol 10am ET – Live
  • NCWTS PRACTICE Bristol 12pm ET – Live
  • UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS - 1st Leg 2pm ET – Live
  • NCWTS RACING Bristol 8pm ET – Live

• Friday 8/23/2013
  • NASCAR NATIONWIDE PRACTICE Bristol 9am ET – Live
  • NASCAR SPRINT CUP PRACTICE Bristol 12pm ET – Live
  • NASCAR SPRINT CUP FINAL PRACTICE Bristol 2:30pm ET – Live
  • NASCAR NATIONWIDE QUALIFYING Bristol 3:30pm ET – Live
  • HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Bishop Gorman (NV) vs Mountain Pointe (AZ) 10pm ET – Live
Edited by martinfan5

I cancelled cable TV 2 days ago. After getting a bill for 141.00 and not even understanding the charges I called and cancelled all TV service. I went to Radio Shack and pick up a HDTV antennae and I get 14 channels with it.

Comcast gets me for 51.00 for Internet and that's it. Speed channel went down the tubes long ago, then, it was cut from the Digital Preffered package i was getting. I got 200 channels of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH AND I was paying for it.

Shame on me. I do like Gearz and Hot Rod TV and a few others like Pass Time though. The rest of that "reality" BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH held zero interest to me after one viewing and watching full grown men act like.......... I can't say here but you know darn well what they were acting like.

Bob

I cancelled cable TV 2 days ago. After getting a bill for 141.00 and not even understanding the charges I called and cancelled all TV service. ... Comcast gets me for 51.00 for Internet and that's it. ...I got 200 channels of ###### AND I was paying for it. ... Shame on me. I do like Gearz and Hot Rod TV and a few others like Pass Time though. ...

Bob

I did exactly the same thing several months back. I had planned it for some time. Comcast was regularly raising my fees and we would do a little dance every 6 months where they would take me up to the stratosphere, I would call them, they would give me a massive promotional discount for 6 months, and then rasie me back up, I would call them they would give me a massive... Your get the idea. Eventually it became a massive PITA. It must have been for both of us because one day I called and - guess what - no discount!

As I said, I had seen it coming. Comcast was becoming more and more vertically integrated, buying up media properties (culminating with buying NBC Universal from GE) and generally acting like the dominant monopoly they are. Meanwhile, there were more and more channels of less and less viewable content. I had connected my computer to my television and was increasingly getting my media directly off the internet.

When I pulled the plug on cable I was ready. My final challenges were finding ways to watch F1 and a full season of Pro Tour level bicycle racing. Once I got these squared away I was good to go. I already had all my news, general entertainment, music and movie options taken care of. I can't say it's smooth and easy or that it hasn't been without some sacrifice in video quality in some cases, but it is clearly the future. Highly controlled motorsports like F1 and NASCAR will present a particular ,challenge. You can watch F1 in real time on Eurosport via re-broadcasts over the internet. The 24 Hours of LeMans are also available that way, which is how I watched it this year. I'm not into NASCAR any more, so that's now off my radar. Many of the Speed shows like Hot Rod TV, My Classic Car and Gearz can be found on YouTube. If you are willing to pay actual real money you can watch almost anything you get over cable over the internet, in HD, with virtually no exceptions. But paying can add up quickly and get you back to the $100.00 per month that premium cable can cost you, so you have to be careful.

The internet probably revived the model car world, thanks to the forums like this one, by turning it into a global hobby. The same will be true of video media in general. It's still early days, but at $150.00/month for 200+ channels of repetitive garbage the handwriting is on the wall. Comcast can't save it by lowering prices, either. ESPN wants something on the order of $4.50 per customer per month from the cable companies, whether you watch it or not. Even the over the air networks like CBS want a monthly spiff for their content. Meanwhile the variety and depth of media avaialble over the internet, often free to the viewer, just keeps expanding. When I walked into my local Comcast office to return my equipment, and told the rep I was mainly watching the internet now, behind the counter she just rolled her eyes to let me know she'd been hearing that all day long.

In general connectivity is too expensive, too redundant, and subject to too many monopoly practices. Expect to see a massive shake out among the broadcast networks, movie networks, ISP providers and land line and cell phone companies and to see WiFi and high speed internet commoditized and eventually become a regulated utility, like water and sewage. But that will take time and meanwhile we'll each make our small decisions along the way!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Some of you may know (for those who know me) my opinions on all these, ever since Speedvision died, so i'm not gonna start up again but I knew this would happen.....I knew it about 5 years ago that Speed would turn into this. I find it funny though how ESPN is making a motorsport comeback and in all honesty, i'm fine with that. NBC coverage of F1 is good but no real difference in my opinion than Fox's coverage. It's not about "racing" anymore, it's about money, media, and entertainment. That's why, in my opinion, the only real racing is the Grand Am series, and mainly, the Continental Series. It's what ALMS should be and hopefully with this unification coming next year maybe we can see the IMSA years back with GTP/GTO/GTU/GTS, that would be perfect.

I love Velocity, (which all the racing should go to that channel) their rally coverage is great and wheeler dealers has to be my favorite show other than top gear, Mike and Ed are a hoot to watch and they show real builds for real profits.

Some of you may know (for those who know me) my opinions on all these, ever since Speedvision died, so i'm not gonna start up again but I knew this would happen.....I knew it about 5 years ago that Speed would turn into this. I find it funny though how ESPN is making a motorsport comeback and in all honesty, i'm fine with that. NBC coverage of F1 is good but no real difference in my opinion than Fox's coverage. It's not about "racing" anymore, it's about money, media, and entertainment. That's why, in my opinion, the only real racing is the Grand Am series, and mainly, the Continental Series. It's what ALMS should be and hopefully with this unification coming next year maybe we can see the IMSA years back with GTP/GTO/GTU/GTS, that would be perfect.

I love Velocity, (which all the racing should go to that channel) their rally coverage is great and wheeler dealers has to be my favorite show other than top gear, Mike and Ed are a hoot to watch and they show real builds for real profits.

Speedvision was great, I would love to have another Speedvision , but that will never happen, but ESPN is not a making a motorsports come back, anything on four wheels is treated like the red headed step child, other then NASCAR, ESPN has has six Indy Car race's, they have NHRA, they have a few ALMS series, and the Rally Cross, I might be missing something. But come 2015, ESPN will no longer have NASCAR, as that is moving over to NBC/SN. Motorsports to ESPN is an after, after thought, which is sad, because just like SPEED in the early days and Speedvision, ESPN use to care about motorsports.

NBC/SN is going to be the new motorsports home in the near future , they are on their way there now, and as to the F1 coverage, its the same as it was on SPEED, the only difference is the on screen graphics and a few of the talking heads, but thats it, F1 coverage is produced by FOM( Formula One Management), its a pool feed , SPEED/NBC/SN have no control over it

This is going to be on FS1/FS2, as you can see, its still not all going to be NASCAR and stick and ball sports, so there is still some hope

NASCAR Truck Series Full Season: Present through 2024
NASCAR Cup Series Exhibition Races: Present through 2024
NASCAR Cup, NNS & Truck Series Practice & Qualifying: Present through 2024
NASCAR Cup & NNS Points Race: 2015 through 2024

ARCA Racing Series: Present through 2018 (I believe 2018 is the year)

United SportsCar Racing: 2014 through 2018
24 Hours of Le Mans: Present though ??? (Multi-Year deal no end date announced that I've seen).

MotoGP: Present through 2016
Moto2: Present through 2016
Moto3: Present through 2016

AMA Supercross: Present through 2014 (though as of earlier this year an extension was in the works)
Lucas Oil Motocross: Present through ???? (hell I didn't even know they showed this, I thought it was on NBCSN but apparently it's part of the FS1 launch weekend)

Monster Jam, I haven't heard anything about though ESPN/ESPN2 used to show Monster Trucks all the time and lets be honest FOX doesn't have NBA or NHL games so they are going to have free-time that'll need filling so I see Monster Jam staying through maybe moved to FS2. Supposedly this past Saturday SPEED showed a 2014 Monster Jam preview show (I was at the local track so I have no idea if they actually did or didn't) but to me that indicates FS1/2 will cover the series in 2014. Though on the other hand remember that Monster Jam didn't start on SPEED, it was actually a TNN property back in the day so it's not like if it does move to another network that it'll be something new to the series as it's done it before. Also lets not forget that AMA Supercross & Monster Jam are owned by the same promoter.

V8 Supercars and those various other series that have contracts will likely remain in place for the remainder of the season in their normal delayed & edited format, maybe moved over to FS2 but still on the FOX family of networks. Though lets be honest those of us that are AuV8SC, DTM, BTCC, WTCC fans all prefer to watch the races live over an internet stream (legal or not) instead of the delayed & edited version of each race that SPEED has been showing for years anyway.

In all honesty, now that I am over losing SPEED, I dont really care, for use NASCAR fans, and fans of motorsports, not much is changing for us, its just the weekly scripted reality garbage that is being replaced, and that is fine by me.

Edited by martinfan5

Good to hear they are planning an extension of supercross, I can begin breathing again. It's good to finally see it getting the mainstream attention it has deserved for years. Currently, they only show motocross on FUEL and NBCSN, not on Speed, but since it is on FUEL that is why you see it listed. I really hope they extend that as well, the owner of the series has really worked hard over the years to get tv coverage and it has been great for the sport.

For some us that have DirecTv, Dish, Time Warner Cable, this is what we are going to get if a deal with FOX can not be worked out by Saturday morning

Following the launch of Fox Sports 1, for those U.S. service providers without a new agreement, Speed is scheduled to carry a lineup of past Speed reality shows and repeated coverage of Barrett-Jackson car auctions, airing on a daily six-hour loop. No live event coverage or other original programming will air on this version of the channel.[13]

So....it's going to be what it's been for months now?

As of today, FS1 as reach a deal with the TV providers , so come Saturday , FS1 will replace SPEED in 90 million homes

Yes and no, there is still going to be racing coverage, but everything in between the racing will be stick and ball sports, really, think ESPN, and that is what FS1 wants to be, yes, there will be a little bit more racing on FS1 vs ESPN

If you have only watched SPEED for racing coverage, then really , not much is going to change, if you have watched SPEED for the scripted reality shows, then yes, everything is going to change

Edited by martinfan5

Far I as I know, they were separate shows

Every time I watched the show, they were filming at the same tracks that Pinks All Out was filmed at and around the same time.....Plus Ken Herring was a part of both shows, it would make sense that they shot both at the same time.