Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Miss Majestic

Gothic Kustomz

Whew, here we are going a lil ol'scool, I'm now shaping, and forming, OH! but not like you think, no this is not a new form of putty, this is all plastic,and a lil bit of pro wield :o no, kinda neat huh? :

bodywork_zpsd8815cba.jpg

As you can see, really rough stuff:

bodyworkII_zps3c827633.jpg

But here you can see it starting to take a lil shape:

bodyworkIII_zps4d73109f.jpg

After just a lil work:

bodyworkIV_zps7f714819.jpg

And yes sir, the front clip is offa the '49 Ford convert, one of the kustom option's.

OK, remember the other day of those shots I took of the stuff looking like brick morter, lol, well here is a shot of it with a lil work, I will take a few more before primer, but this is what makes building kustomz, the best, not only do ya get to to do kewl work, but you get to see it come to shape:

100_1922_zps74002bf9.jpg

100_1926_zps395e1fb7.jpg

100_1927_zps024a4124.jpg

100_1928_zps274d76a6.jpg

Just a few minor things, like the new tailights, and the front fender well's, glad I been doing this kinda stuff for over 30 years, I would say this is a wrap for the top. all the trim work will be chrome, or black, we'll see, but here ya go guys, thanx for hangin with me on this build, your feedback, is awesome:

100_2013_zps7b494e92.jpg

100_2012_zps488e89c4.jpg

100_2011_zps48f75abf.jpg

100_2010_zps62db27ad.jpg

Edited by Gothic Kustomz

That's sweet! Are you going to pad that top? I think it needs something because that's a lot of blank real estate with all the windows gone

Yea, the Carson top was the early version of the soft top, nah, not the vert, but a kustom metal base soft top, and I do believe his were the first, I think in the late '50s, and are still used today on kustomz, ya can google it under Carson top's, theres a world of info and pic's.

I just gotta find the right padding, I have stuff, but kinda don't look right in scale, but I will find something.

I don't think it's necessary to use a fabric on the top. Even a carson top has an edge or lip.

50_Ford_pic4_zps9139593d.jpg

So I would use some half round stock to create the lip. Across the back, forward to the doors and then up and around the top of the doors to eventually blend into the corner of the windshield. Then paint the top area with Krylons Make it Suede. It's a paint I have used on interiors, that has a texture. It is fine enough to use in scale and you can paint over it if you want the top a different color. OR, you could get a more textured paint surface by just holding the sprayer further away from the model.

37chev2007.jpg